“Wonderful view”
Review of Porth Tocyn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bwlchtocyn
Porth Tocyn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bwlchtocyn
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed two nights in very comfortable rooms. The continental breakfast option did not exist despite being advertised. There was no bread or pastries, no cheese, meats or boiled eggs, only cereals and fruit. I was suprised and disappointed. Breakfast charges should be included in a hotel charging at this level. I also found the dining room too small with not enough room between tables. Dinner was pleasant enough but fiddled about with on square plates with all sorts of concoctions dotted about. A touch of 'Bouquet/Bucket' going on here.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank hkcrofter

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We spent a 3-day break at the Porth Tocyn with our children (5 and 7 years). It was absolutely magical. The children had an excellent time in the extensive gardens, fabulous outdoor pool and were spoilt rotten at the high teas. My husband and I were able to relax throughout, enjoying a tasteful and comfortable room, and superb food and wine. We went to the quiet beach most days, which is only a five-minute walk away. I would say the owners know how to make your stay personal, special and memorable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Celia B
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night mid week special at the Porth Tocyn .Having not been there before it was a lovely experience .Nick and his team made us very welcome,He does have a rather dry sense of humour but thats what it is,its certainly not rudeness unless you call a lack of fawning obsequiousness rude .Nick and all his team were always pleasant and very polite..Our room was recently refurbished and was beautiful and light with views over the bay .The weather was mixed but the hotel was always welcoming with a nice fire in the lounge ( yes even in August).
The food is sensational ,high quality and imaginative using good local ingedients ;fish and sausages to name but 2 .They do have a policy concerning young children in the dining room and I certainly welcome that.I don't want to have my dinner spoiled by children running around and demanding attention at 8 pm at night.It's an unfortunate fact that alot of parents do not seem to know how to teach their children how to behave in a civilised environment .For those that do this hotel is perfect. I would say that the hotel is family friendly ,there is a childrens play room with games and a TV and the children who were there during our stay made the most of that and seemed content and well behaved.
The rest of us enjoyed the bar and the peaceful lounge.
The hotel is set on the headland over looking Cardigan Bay and the views are stunning.The garden is extensive and the pool warm and refreshing .
It's not a cheap hotel but its not over the top and compares favourably with theTrefeddian at Aberdovey which although cheaper than the Porth Tocyn does not compare in quality of accomodation or food. We loved it ,thought it decent value and will return, no question of that .

Room Tip: sea view worth the extra
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank steelman53
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and 22 month daughter booked this hotel because the website describes the hotel as a leader in the family market, and where children do not need to feel uncomfortable. This isn't what we experienced.
I spoke to a nice lady on the phone before we arrived and confirmed we would be having dinner in the restaurant. She asked if our little one was joining us, to which I said she would be. So we arrived at the hotel thinking we would be eating there and wouldn't need to book a restaurant elsewhere.
Our first experience of Nick, the rudest hotel owner i have met, was when we asked asking if there was a key to our room. Recognising our accents Nick commented that we weren't in Liverpool now. Completely offensive. Whether we were in Liverpool, Wales, London or Scotland I would expect a key to my room! Then we checked what was available for our daughter to eat and asked if it was still ok for to dine with us. His answer was as offensive as his first comment, saying that absolutely not as other diners wouldn't want ankle biters hanging around whilst eating. Firstly she wouldn't be crawling around and secondly I had confirmed this on the phone. But apparently only children 5 years and over we're welcome in the restaurant. Nicks suggestion was the we put her in the children's room.... Unlikely that a 22 month old would stay in there safely on her own. Or leave her in the hotel room with a monitor, which i was uncomfortable with. So all in an unpleasant stay and not the family friendly hotel that it advertises. Won't be returning or recommending to friends and family.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank Gemma P
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Popped in at Porth Tocycn for a quick lunch with wife daughter on our way home to Harlech on a miserable day in July. We ordered lunch and took the risk of sitting outside, low and behold the sun came out and we had really good food and properly chilled wine & water sitting watching the yachts sail in the distance. Well done

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank owainHarlech
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Beautiful location, staff very helpful and entertaining. Very accommodating for the children. Previous review mentions bad manners and loss of deposit. My father died unexpectedly this year - you should have travel insurance for these eventualities. Small businesses are struggling at present and last minute cancellations and poor reviews can destroy a business so please be careful what you post!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DrWideboy
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This our third time visiting and booking Porth Tocyn, we stay in the family house in Abersoch and have over many years visited many of the restaurants in the area. Every time we go to this place the menu is different, exciting and full of "WOW"

My wife had Black Spotted Sea Bream with seagrass and I had Pheasant . Both meals were fabulous and the puddings were delicious.

We returned for lunch a couple of days later which was also delicious my wife had fish pie and I had welsh sausage and a very tasty mash potato. It was worth every penny.

Just to balance some of the negatives put on here , we've visited this place many times over the years and I've never found nick rude nor have we ever had a problem with our bill, nick and his staff write out each bill in agreement with what you while you are there so I fail to see how you can agree to having something you haven't had.If there's a mistake (and everyone and anyone can make a simple mistake) it should be raised there and then.

The service is extremely polite and second to none.

Room Tip: We've never stayed in a room so can't comment on that.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IanUpton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwlchtocyn
Bron Eifion Country House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
Caerwylan Hotel
Caerwylan Hotel
#1 of 6 in Criccieth

Been to Porth Tocyn Hotel? Share your experiences!