“Uncomfortable start and finish, but the meal and service in between were both quite good.”
Review of Ristorante Vignale

Ristorante Vignale
Reserve with
Ristorante Vignale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Ristorante Vignale features a wonderful covered terrace with wisteria which overlooks the countryside to enjoy in the beautiful days of the beautiful Chianti hills. On colder days you can eat outside heated by patio heaters or in the old cellars of the farm, finely restored characteristic environments. Guests can enjoy the traditional flavors of Chianti: the chef reinterprets traditional Tuscan cuisine proposing, alongside classic dishes and the inevitable grilled meat, evocative combinations and stimulating temptations.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

On a rainy Saturday we walked across the street to check the enoteca for wine selections and decided to go down stairs for lunch. We had a hard time finding anyone as the restaurant was completely empty. No customers or staff. As we were about to leave a very proper waiter appeared and offered to seat us, assuring that they were indeed open. He was very friendly and attentive after we made a good Chianti Reserva selection and assured him we did not want it chilled. He explained that many Americanos staying at the adjacent hotel requested cold wine. He was relieved that we did not and was very good to us during our excellent lunch. Unfortunately, we were scheduled to meet a couple from London and hurried through coffee and desert. It was rather funny, but the waiter was visibly frustrated and disappointed that we didn't linger to savor our meal. I supposed it was insulting as if we hadn't enjoyed the food. We assured we did. Unlike many other reviewers, our meal and service was good other than that beginning and end. We weren't bothered by it, just felt like an Italian learning experience. By the way, the view was incredible. We will come back for a summer evening meal.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at La Terrazza dei Glicini the evening of 31 August after having “inspected” it the day before in the morning while shopping in Radda. We expected to be able to experience the sunset, which actually sets on the other side of building, from the lovely terrace. Despite earlier comments, we found the service to be very good however, our mutual assessment of what we did have was that the pasta is mediocre (rolled far too thick, like something you might find at an ersatz Italian restaurant in rural Oklahoma) and the mains below average (but not awful).
Despite the foregoing, I would recommend this establishment as a place for a pleasant lunch as the salad we had was good and the view from the terrace during the day is quite pleasant (but nowhere near what one experiences at Il Vescovino in Panzano or Ristoro Di Lamole in Lamole, both of which have wonderful food to boot their spectacular views). We also felt the food et cetera was not great value for money.

5  Thank YYZGuy99
Reviewed August 1, 2013

When coming into a restaurant the custom is to welcome a guest, a hello, a smile even, a welcome. This doesn't seem to be an established custom is this restaurant, and while we awkwardly stood waiting to be greeted, the first word out of the grumpy maitre d' was "reservation?" as he walked past us. We should have walked away, but being the hotel restaurant we wanted to dine in house and get an early night. He demeanour all night was aggressive, rushed and grumpy, it was a giant hassle for him to have guests in his restaurant. Nothing was suggested, nothing was explained just the 17e dishes plonked down and he rushed away. Only 2 staff and one runner, seemed too much workload, as there was long waits and they were visibly overwhelmed. It is a shame the service is so lacking because the food was delicious. I enjoyed the stuffed zucchini flowers on zucchini purée and the pork some of best cooked pork I've had (hats off to chef for cooking it pink and tender, how pork should be). My husbands lamb expertly seasoned and cooked. Won't be returning as wanting the complete experience of good food and welcoming attentative knowledgeable service.

2  Thank SumoDoha
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I ate a lunch today with a group of about 36 people. I had to ask myself, "Am I still in Italy?" Sure didn't feel like it based on the abrupt, nearly hostile service.

Service - surly. This is something I've been experiencing across Tuscany, except in our hotel where they couldn't be sweeter. I spend a great deal of time in Piemonte where I have never encountered such behavior. Haven't been to Tuscany for 15 years which means I remember it pre-Under the Tuscan Sun that helped promote the region with tourists.

Back to the service.

For me, eating out must be more than merely eating. It must be a pleasant experience. Otherwise, what's the point? Food should not only taste good, but look good and be served properly. Plates were literally dropped onto the table - from the left or the right, it didn't seem to matter to them - then cleared in a similar manner as well. Chianti Classico was served, but one table was served a corked bottle. I guess they believed no one would notice. Wrong! Bottom line on service - I get the distinct feeling many restaurants in Tuscany figure tourist groups won't be coming back, so why make the effort. A huge miscalculation with this group of seasoned, sophisticated travelers.

First course - tomato terrine on buffalo mozzarella cream

Warm and melting, not chilled as it should have been. The presentation was poor - many other plates on our table had slices of terrine that were splitting as it was too warm and the crema was separating. Since the terrine was obviously not cold when it was plated, pieces of tomato-colored terrine fell into the white crema. Also, plates were not wiped before serving. Pity because their plates are quite pretty. Otherwise, the taste was delicious, but we taste first with our eyes and that was not good.

Second course - Saffron risotto with zucchini

Very pleasing visually. Could have been a tasty dish, but for the total absence of salt. Some asked for the salt. Someone from our table got up to fetch it after waiting.

Third course - Melon sorbet with peperocini

Sad that at a time when the melons are incredibly sweet they added spicy peperocini to the sorbetto. Didn't like having the pepper in my throat after tasting the somewhat sweet sorbetto. Also, poorly served. No plate was placed under the bowl that was dropped onto the table.

In sum, I am disappointed that out of three meals outside our hotel, I've experienced poor, surly service. Perhaps if it was just two of us the service MAY have been different, but why should it be different for a group than for two diners?

At a time when there is an economic crisis, I would expect a greater effort would be made to capture the hearts, minds and tummies of tourists. This tourist certainly didn't "feel the love."

2  Thank VillaArneis
Reviewed June 5, 2013

theawesome the staff flood and dedication to have the guest enjoy their meal is apparent as Antonio Thomas and Chef Robert are available approachable and dedicated