“Charming honeymoon spot, perfect as a base for day trips”

Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Radda in Chianti
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Just back from our honeymoon where we stayed 2 nights in Florence and 3 nights Il Borgo de Vescine in Radda, everyone was so welcoming, it was like a small unobtrusive family atmosphere and it was hard to leave.
Location is great, right between Florence and Siena so about an hour drive to each city and surrounded by smaller towns which are lovely to wander around.
We ate at the restaurant twice for dinner and the food was simple Tuscan fare; great homemade style and absolutely delicious. We also did the cooking class one afternoon with Karla the in-house chef and highly recommend it, it was a 4 course dinner and the best homemade pasta we ate all week!
Vincenzo the wine buff there is very friendly and knowledgeable about their great wine, always happy to chat and his free wine tasting for guests is good fun. Free wifi in the enoteca also.
We will go back!

Reviewed April 24, 2011

In the last 16 months we have traveled all over Italy and have in general had fantastic experiences and received excellent value for money and service ...till we stayed at Borgo Vescine over the past Easter weekend.
Ms. Susanna Biagini...the Managing director of the hotel is in my opinion the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to customer service..here is why:

We had 2 rooms booked (one a suite, and the other (room 29) a deluxe double.
We arrived on Saturday late evening and soon after placed our luggage in our rooms..which looked great (little did we know what horrors awaited us later that night)
We had a wine tasting session and then left for dinner at a restaurant outside the property.
We returned at 10 p.m. and went to our rooms. Our toddler sleeps with us, so our 8 year old was on the sofa bed (we had the suite).
Soon after I went to my Brother's room to find Mr Vincenzo (who b.t.w. is fantastic...and part of the reason we decided to stay at Vescine) gamely helping out with killing a number of bugs that seemed to be nesting behind the sofa bed (their toddler was asleep on the double bed at the time). Vincezo apologized profusely for something that was not his fault.
After this my brother his wife and I talked for a while...and yes in that time I killed a few more unidentifiable creepy crawlies...and I finally left for my room at around midnight.
At 1:00 a.m. my cell phone rings and it is my brother telling me that there is a scorpion in their room....of course I ran down to their room and sure enough there it was on the floor..it had been crawling on the wrought iron headboard, and they were lucky that they were awake and alert enough to spot it (remember the toddler in the bed). By this time the scorpion had been crushed with a whack from me with my brothers boot.
We then go to the reception, wake up the person on duty and after much time spent by him on the phone with Ms Susanna we got a room change for my brother. It is now 1.45 a.m. I return to my room to find my 8 year old wide awake on her bed (yes it was a pull out) so I ask her why she is awake...she says dad...the bed springs are digging into my back...I thought it was just her wanting to sleep with her mom and brother in the other bed...so I checked for my self and to my surprise the mattress was so thin and worn out that I could feel the springs with the lightest of pressure with my finger tips.
I sent her to the other room and slept on the sofa bed...yes it was the worst night ever...but i was so tired I passed out...but awoke on Easter Sunday with the worst backache ever.
When I went to return my keys after breakfast I told the manager on duty about the problem with the bed in our suite...his response...'this kind of bed is normal in Italy'...predictably I lost it and let him know that it was the worst we have had in Italy.

When we finally were to check out after lunch we asked to speak to the Reception Managers boss before we made our payments (I was hoping that given our experience of the night before there would be some attempt at an apology or a discount) and Ms Susanna makes and appearance and had the audacity to ask us what was the problem...."it was just a small animal...a small insect'...and we changed your room...did we not ? if you had a problem with the bed...why did you not let us know'' 'this kind of thing is normal as we are in the middle of a forest' Then why is it that the other 2 rooms we used were free of bugs ???...Have the decency to admit your mistake...and be clear that the pest control was not done adequately in that room . To say that she was arrogant and dismissive and down right rude....would be the kindest words I would ever chose to use about her.
Again I lost it ...but we wanted to leave and my brother was sick of looking at her face...and so we paid...and left
When I went back to the reception office to check on a line item on the bill.... it so happened that Ms Susanna's boss..one the the Paladin family members, Carlo, was there...we all go to the suite and he lies on the bed and says its not bad...so I say...remove the bed cover and the blanket..to which Ms Susanna cuts in and says 'the room has been prepared for another guest'...but I ensured that Carlo lay on the bed and he did admit that the bed was uncomfortable...even for a small child....small comfort and vindication for me after I have paid $320 for each room$ (which BTW is among the highest we have paid in Italy...and we have stayed in many great locations at far superior hotels). ...I wonder if I can take it up with Capital one...maybe I will try and see if I can complain with them as well...(as you can tell by now I am disgusted and frustrated like I have never been with this experience )

Open suggestion to Carlo Paladin : change your beds and make sure your director changes her attitude because it is pathetic.

Strong suggestion to any one reading this review : Think twice about the suites...and be very clear even at the discounted rate (yes..what we paid was the discounted rate) the cost of the accommodation is INORDINATELY EXCESSIVE for the value provided. The view may be fantastic...but the beds and of course the service VERY DISAPPOINTING and that is putting it very mildly..heaven forbid you stay here, and have an issue, and have to deal with Ms Susanna....arrogance and rudeness are what she believes is customer service.

Room Tip: Avoid ..unless you have money to waste
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank vinmark
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Aaaah, Vescine! As I write this, 4 months after our visit, I can't help but wish I was back there now! Vescine is a lovely rural property with old world charm and modern amenities. We stayed in a superior room with patio (#4). Parking was very close by. Lots of character...stone exterior walls, vaulted beamed ceiling, clay roofs, etc. Our bathroom had shower only (no tub) but was large, modern and clean. (Our friends stayed in a smaller room which had tub & shower.) The setting is absolutely spectacular! We felt like we were "coming home" every day after exploring the nearby sights (wineries, gorgeous countryside, Florence, Siena and many other towns & villages). Guests were so comfortable & relaxed in the intimate dining room that many of us knew one another by name after a day or two and enjoyed sharing stories and tips about our adventures. Vescine's management and staff were professional, warm & friendly. We found the breakfast to offer a good selection of hot & cold items. There are two choices for dinner and great little restaurants nearby but a car if a must. Do not miss their wine tour if you get the chance! We hope to return for a longer stay. Vescine is ideally located in the heart of Chianti, Tuscany. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathy_hale
Reviewed November 20, 2010

What a fabulous atmosphere. Not only are you surrounded by grapevines and fabulous wine in Chianti, this place has a great restaurant and plenty of space to lounge around.

We had a huge room underneath the pool that overlooked vineyards. It had a great big patio. It's dated, but it was clean. We saw those girls in there scrubbing that shower daily.

The fellow who served us drinks upstairs in the bar and served us in the restaurant was incredibly welcoming.

The front desk staff were a little odd/stand off"ish, but pleasant enough.

There are plenty of rooms to read/borrow a book/use the internet and relax.

It was a nice touch having a wine shop on site where you could buy their Chianti Classico and do wine tastings.

This was the most relaxing stay we had in all our time in Italy...ahhh...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure to spend 2 nights at Il Borgo di Vescine. Like many small properties in Chianti, it was not easy to find Vescine but it was well worth it. The property is several hundred years old - it was a hamlet for farmers quite a long time ago. One of the first things that we did when we arrived was to visit the wine bar and get a couple of glasses of the Chianti Classico that is made nearby (more on that later). We pulled a couple of chairs out onto the deck next to our room, slowly drank the wine, looked out over the gorgeous panorama, and knew that this was a good choice.

That evening, we went for back for a complimentary wine tasting at the wine bar. All of the wines are made by Paladin Wineries but not all of them are made in Chianti. I urge you to try them all.

We also had dinner at the hotel - there is a small dining room in the main building. To be honest, we were disappointed in the food at dinner. However, I think the breakfast is excellent. The next night, we drove to a small town named Lucarelli where we ate at an osteria named Le Panzanelle. GO THERE. The food was fantastic. Get the rollatini and the steak for two - fantastic.

The next day, we signed up for the winery tour hosted by Vincenzo Protti, the winemaker. The winery is about a 15 minute drive from the hotel. Vincenzo was so gracious, entertaining, and knowledgeable. He described the history of the winery, the importance of its location, and technical details involved in the production of the Chianti. At the end, we entered a room where there was a beautiful assortment of snacks and tasted the wines. This was such a wonderful experience, by itself, it was worth the trip to Tuscany. Back at the hotel, we bought the Sauvignon Blanc (made at a Paladin Winery in Veneto), the Chianti Classico Riserva (Lodolaio), and Alba Antica (Bosco del Merlo) - a fantastic grappa. I don't claim to be an expert - I only know what I like - but these were all excellent.

By the way, Il Borgo di Vescine has a beautiful pool and lounge area so if the weather is nice, you can enjoy it. Realize that it may cut into the time you have to enjoy the local food and wine.

Buy the grappa - when you return home, pour a small amount into a brandy snifter, breathe in the aroma, sip slowly, close your eyes - you are back in Chianti.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Old world charm became a nuisance when we awoke to find puddles all over the floor. Rooms are in cottage style groups around the property, which is beautiful, all stone walls and lavender. Room 2 was extremely dark, even with the lights on in daylight, as the windows were screened up past eye-level to protect our privacy as the guests from the adjoining rooms had to pass by. This gave the room an oppressive, closed-in feeling as we couldn't see out and we would have had a lovely view. The bathroom seemed clean but not fresh and smelled musty. This is not surprising as we awoke the next morning to find puddles all over the bedroom floor, from a leak in the bathroom. We were lucky our suitcases were not on the floor. This could be a one-off, but I mentioned it at check and he did not seem surprised. He made a note of it. No apology. No recompense. Food was mediocre also. Definitely not 4-star standard. I'm surprised it is in the Relais group.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LuxuryHotSpot
Reviewed June 28, 2010

whenever me and my husband are in toscany we book this hotel
this is quiet hotel full of lovely views, great food and wine..
you sleep in small houses with great view and restaurant ....
very nice people work there, interiors are cozy and regional but elegance.
you feel there like at home ;all staff takes care of your comfortable time and relax in rooms in restaurant and in great swimming pool with absolutely great view.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radda in Chianti
CDH Hotel Radda
CDH Hotel Radda
#4 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Relais Vignale
Relais Vignale
#3 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Hotel Villa La Palagina
Hotel Villa La Palagina
#3 of 6 in Figline e Incisa Valdarno

Been to Il Borgo di Vescine - Relais del Chianti? Share your experiences!