All reviewseach eveningother gueststhe perfect hostclassical musichonesty baritalian hospitalityhome from homecountry housebalcony roomwonderful daysmagical placerestaurant recommendations and reservationstravel adviceowner managergreat thoughtexcellent attentionconsummate host
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We just returned from our 2-week trip to Tuscany, which included three nights at the charming La Locanda in the Chianti countryside. The lovely room had a balcony overlooking the Tuscan vineyards and the village of Volpaia. We were lucky to have great weather so we enjoyed sitting on the balcony just enjoying the scenery. The room is furnished in simple Tuscan style but it was authentic, nothing fussy. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The thick, plush towels and Bvulgari amenities were wonderful. The charm of La Locanda is due in large part to the owners Guido and Martina, who made every effort to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Each evening we were invited to partake in an aperatif and appetizer before dinner. Guido was very helpful in advising us which restaurants to visit. (Martina cooks three days a week so we had dinner with them the first night.) It was simply a relaxing and lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LosAngelesRealtor
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 12-day throughout Tuscany and La Locanda was out first stop for 3 days. It was spectacular and clearly a hot-spot considering I couldnt get a balcony room with a 3 month in advance booking. The B&B is spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and the dinner on Friday night was spectacular. Guido is beyond accommodating as is his wife Martine. The gave us phenominal restaurant recs and a wine tasting. The view is beyong spectacular, I highly recommend them and we will go back and book months in advance for a balcony room. The balcony rooms are breathtaking.
Erika & Judson Kauffman - New York, New York USA

Room Tip: Get a balcony room but in order to get one, reserve 4-6 MONTHS in advance
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank erika k
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We booked this based on TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed... It's a country inn, certainly off the beaten path. Those who intend to bolt themselves into an inn and never move will not necessarily love it, since you are on your own for lunch and most dinners. Those who fear Italian Strada Bianca should also avoid it, since it's 3km away from the nearest village, 2 uphill on not-too-bad gravel, 1 downhill on a more, let's say, creative road. But the view... But the quiet... But the rooms... But the breakfast... But the attention of Guido and Martina... There was a pair of couples there at the same time as us, on their 5th visit. If you love waking up slowly, soaking the Tuscan view and sun in, having a good breakfast, then spending the day walking the hills around, or driving around, or whatever, you'll love it. If you expect the sort of service you get in a 300-room high-end hotel, with staff buzzing and ready to serve you whatever you want at whatever time of the day, you won't like it.

Aperitivo every evening at 7, dinner 3 nights a week at 8 - this is the life... Do take the opportunity to do dinner, it's good home food, and a glass of grappa or limoncello while talking about everything and nothing with Guido, Martina, other guests.

Room Tip: We had room #5, balcony overlooking Volpaia and Radda in Chianti - just beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rocou
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I have stayed with the lovely Guido and Martina many times over the years, 7 visits I think, I've lost count at this stage. But we love staying here, the first year being 2003.

It is very special indeed and I will never grow tired of the beautiful views and amazing Tuscan food from this area. La Locanda have lovely relaxing rooms. I think I've stayed in all of them apart from the junior suite. My favourite rooms are the balcony rooms upstairs. It's nice to sit out on the balcony and Guido very kindly can provide wine, if and when you need it. Martina cooks a few nights a week and she makes wonderful Tuscan food and I have even had to get a couple of dessert recipes off her they are so good.

The area itself is just amazing. The guesthouse is located close enough to Siena and Florence, about an hours drive. Also there are lovely smaller towns closer by, Grieve being one of my favorites. Make sure you eat at the restaurant in Lamole, Ristoro Di Lamole and La Bottega in Volpaia. Thanks so much to Martina and Guido who have made our stay here over the years very special. I'm going to take my Mum over next year, can't wait.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kim G
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was the second stop on our Tuscan adventure (see also Hotel David - Florence, and Sarna Residence - San Quirico d'Orcia). Stunning setting, having negotiated a very long and bumpy driveway. Very well looked after by Guido and Martina, although their protective attitude towards their beautiful establishment was sometimes less than relaxing. We can't think we are alone in having booked this stay for utter tranquility but clearly, given the size of the hotel, that is dependent on whether other guests are considerate of this. When we stayed, the other guests enjoyed socialising with one another, not only in the evening, but also around the pool, and one small child was also staying. The result was that the atmosphere was not as peaceful as we had hoped but in fairness, the hotel is not advertised as adult only, and everyone's experience will vary depending on who else is staying at the same time. Given the lack of easy options to eat away from the hotel, some access to a light lunch would have been nice and some choice at dinner (only available alternate nights) would also have been appreciated, particularly given the fixed price. We had paid for a room with a balcony, onto the view, but unfortunately the view was obscured when seated on what was actually a terrace, due to the bushes which had grown high due to the recent rainfall. When we mentioned this we were originally offered the rate for a room with no view, but in fact did not receive the full discount because they said we still had access to the terrace. Given that the charge for the view is significant we think greater care needs to be taken to ensure that it can be seen. In addition, there is no aircon - just a fan.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the first floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple