“One of our best dining experiences ever”
Review of La Botte di Bacco

La Botte di Bacco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“One of our best dining experiences ever”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Let me tell you a story. Then, you decide whether to visit this restaurant.

On September 11, 2002, we made our third visit to Italy. On the first anniversary of 9/11, we were staying at Villa Vignamaggio and made our way to La Botte di Bacco in Radda, a restaurant I had read about. When the Maitre d'hotel presented i menu, I found a dish I had read about, but never tasted -- linguine con bottarga -- pasta with dried fish roe. I ordered it, while my wife ordered something a bit less adventurous.

Moments later, the matre d' approached and asked if I knew what I had ordered. I assured him I did and told him I was anxious to try it. Had I ever tried it? No, I told him, but when in Rome ... He smiled and wished me bon appetito. A few minutes later, he returned to the table and said, "With respect, bottargo is an acquired taste. We want you to enjoy your experience. If you wouldn't be offended, may I suggest we serve you something you know you will like?" I gave in and ordered a pasta con funghi, a safe (and delicious) staple of Tuscan cuisine.

Moments after our revised order was delivered, the maitre d' (not just our waiter) emerged with a steaming plate of linguine con bottarga. "Sir, I want you to have the opportunity to taste this dish. You don't need to finish it, but because you so wanted to try it, I present it 'offre la casa.'" I thanked him, took one bite, pushed the piatto do funghi aside and finished the bottarga dish. The maitre d' was, of course, delighted that I had defied his assumptions about American tastes.

(As a side note, that evening we attended a 9/11 memorial service at the Chiesa di Santa Croce in Greve at which a choir from Radda performed. I thought it was a professional chorus. It was not. After the concert, townspeople came over to greet us. It was our most memorable day of this trip.)

Back to the restaurant. You will spend more here on pranzo than you will at other restaurants for cena, but we have never had a more enjoyable meal in Italy. The choice is yours. I hope you'll save your money and make the right one. :-)

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, nice ambiance, great service”
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I am a Canadian with Italian parents so I know good pasta when I taste it. I had the best gnocchettis ever at this restaurant. Fresh, savory, and a good portion. My wife had ravioli ricotta with pear that was also very delicious.

Special mention goes to Flavio who is a genuinely nice guy. He offered us some of the best dessert wine and digestives I have ever tasted. Grappa riserva from barone ricasoli and an amazing sweet wine from the same house called Granello. A must-try after a great lunch or dinner.

One other mention is that the view across from the restaurant is outstanding.

Pricing is reasonable, not cheap, not outrageous either. Quality is worth the price paid.

Zug, Switzerland
“Best food, service, vino ever !”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great food......try the beef on pepper sauce! fantastic!
Great selection of wines.
Great and friendly service.
Food was delivered very fast.
Price is really great for what you get.
Went there twice and looking forward to go back next year!
Grazie!!!

• Visited September 2012
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Delicious! bread heaven!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

8 of us found this place when looking for somewhere to eat lunch. All tables are inside, but it was nice to get out of the heat. We were served giant bread sticks (which provided much entertainment), bread, and little dough balls, all as nibbles which we didnt order. They were lovely! Our meals were delicious and the right size, and the wine which was chosen by the waitor was also great. I really recommend you visit this restaurant if you are making a trip to Radda!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Amy T
Fairfield, Connecticut
“This place is clearly best of the best!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

There was no aspect of our dining experience that was anything but five!!!!! First off be sure to book in advance and get a table in front of the window. Gianluca seated us and the smile on his face told us we were in for a treat. He returned to our table too many times to count always concerned that we were pleased (and the restaurant was packed). The breads were awesome! We split four courses starting with the sausage in puff pastry... All I can say is don't miss this little treat! Then we had a mixed salad that seemed to have been brought straight from their garden. The Tuscan lamb chops (with side of roasted potatoes) were the best meat dish we've had since arriving in Italy and the Tiramisu was the best that either of us have ever tasted. We had a bottle of their house Chianti which was a local 2003 Riserva and a bottle of San Pelagrino. Total cost was €83 ... An exceptional value in my opinion!

1 Thank Paul G