If you're looking for a picture postcard Tuscan setting, you won't go far wrong with this place. Set in landscaped grounds and looking out over rolling hills covered in vineyards the shots on the website don't do justice to the reality.
In terms of rooms, the hotel has two basic parts. You've got the main house which delivers a touch of aristocratic grandeur or the outbuildings which have a more rustic feel. Both are great, it depends on your preference. The communal areas are tastefully and thoughtfully decorated. The pool is large enough with plenty of loungers and the hammocks nestled amongst the trees are a nice touch. For breakfast you have the choice to sit inside or on an attractive patio and the spread is adequate if not great.
Service is good and the staff try hard to please.
So that's the good, now the not so good. The hotel has no restaurant and its middle-of-nowhere location, which on the one hand affords it unspoilt views, on the other means you've got a 15 minute drive to Radda for a choice of restaurants. We were in Chianti, we wanted to relax in the evening and enjoy dinner with a few glasses of great wine, which meant either myself or my wife had to drink alone or one of us had to drink and drive. For me a hotel without a restaurant isn't a hotel it's a bed and breakfast. I actually don't understand their logic, there clearly used to be a restaurant there. They have a pretty much captive audience of affluent guests who would happily eat and drink the evening away.
In summary, location is this hotel's biggest asset, but without a restaurant also its biggest drawback. Still, the setting and the quality of the rooms nudge this up from a 3/5 to a 4/5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just outside the village of Radda, Villa Campomaggio is surrounded by vineyards in the heart of the Chianti countryside. Dating back to 1776, the villa's grounds include a swimming pool and SPA.This historic villa has elegant rooms and apartments, all decorated with the same care and attention to detail. They feature hardwood or terracotta floors and wood-beam or arched ceilings. All include free Wi-Fi, LCD TV and Minibar.A buffet breakfast is served out in the courtyard where you can enjoy the tranquility of the garden. Light meals are available for lunch around the pool and an aperitif with snack buffet is served in the afternoon.The SPA area includes a Jacuzzi, Turkish bath, Sauna and relaxation area. You can treat yourself to a massage or beauty treatment.Free parking is available and the center of Radda in Chianti is 5 minutes away by car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Campomaggio Hotel Radda In Chianti
- Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa Radda In Chianti, Italy - Tuscany