“Aaaaaah... Absolutely wonderful!”

Bravo Caracol
Ottawa
“Aaaaaah... Absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

This was a great place to stay. I have no complaints at all.

Most of all, I will remember the people we met there, working at the hotel, that made us feel so welcome. They really do want everyone to have a good time.
Our room was lovely, with a sitting area with a fridge, patio doors to a deck, and another picture window on the other side for a lovely breeze. (no screens, but no bugs) The bedroom has an air conditioner, tv, and everything you could want, with large bathroom. Found out later you are not supposed to put toilet paper in the toilet, use the little garbage can. Speaking of toilets, if you go outside the hotel, bring toilet paper and be prepared for no toilet seats!

We rented scooters for a day! What a blast! The main road near the hotels is fine, but further down going to Coco Beach, it gets a little dicey. Washboard and potholes filled with sand. As long as you're careful, its not a problem.

The food was very good. Lots of variety. I ate raw cabbage and beets every day, yum. For breakfast they have a grill where you can get an omelet, and ask them to cook your bacon some more. Lots of fruit, juice, and ice cream! There is a little spot by the beach where you can get really tasty hamburgers, fries, hot dogs, and deep fried fish. Oh yes and beer too. Rudy was great.

The bar staff are very hard workers, as the drinks are included in the package. They always served us fast and friendly. If you're not sure what drink you want, Victor will come up with something wonderful.

We had fun sitting with Julio the lifeguard, trying to speak to each other with our limited language skills, and sign language.

My absolute favorite was David, the massage therapist. I've had lots of massages before, but he is the best so far! I'm sure I fell asleep. Such a warm, caring, sensitive man. He's in the right career.

Always bring little things to leave for the maids, they make sure the room is clean every day, and go the extra mile when they receive little treasures.

If I had known, I would have brought clothes for the children. There isn't anything there for them to buy, even if they could afford it. They appreciate anything, but need clothes the most. The poverty in the villages is an eye opener. Very hard to imagine for a Canadian.

The locals are very friendly and you need not worry about being hassled or accosted by them. They would have dire consequences if anything happened to a tourist. You are in more danger of a fellow tourist than a local. They will ask you if you would like to come to their house for a lobster dinner for 10 - 15 cucs. It is one way they can earn money. Some of them will sell you cigars, or jewelry and such. We met a sweet lady at Coco Beach and bought some bracelets from her. We gave her notebooks, pencils, and crayons for her kids, and she gave me a present too!

The beach is absolutely glorious! I would have spent much more time there but my Sweetie wasn't as keen. The sand is beautiful, soft and clean and a pretty light golden color. The water was warm and clean. There are spots where its a little rough on the feet, but I didn't need water shoes. I grew up at the beach at Jackfish Lake, Saskatchewan. The beach goes on for about 20 miles!!!

I wanted to go on the snorkeling tour, for a sail, or a paddle boat ride, but time ran out. We had fun watching the windsurfers and the flying dingy!
There's lots to see and do.

By Wednesday, we were both giggling like school kids. This was an absolutely fantastic trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Seniorita13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Ajax
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I have just returned from Caracol last night. I can vouch for the validity of the reviews posted here. Most were dead on with their descriptions, and my expectations were adjusted prior to leaving, based on common issues that were given by the majority of previous guests. I went with my mother and my two daughters, aged 8 and 9.

I booked with Nolitours and was on an Air Transat flight that was delayed by an hour at Toronto. There was a piece of the wing that was missing and it needed to be repaired. I sat there astonished that people were upset. I guess they preferred finding this information out while we all plunged to our deaths after takeoff. I was one of the few who happily sat there thinking it was awesome that their pre-take off inspections were so thorough. The food on the plane was brutal, probably only because I can't stand ginger, which was laced into the oriential noodles that were served. The kids and my mom ate it no problem. The flight was otherwise uneventful. The bus ride was long, but the kids slept, there was a washroom on the bus, and the bumpy ride felt similar to a massaging chair, so I have no complaints there.

We arrived late, and we were encouraged to leave our bags and eat, which I was happy to do. The food was warm, the staff was friendly and as soon as we were done, we (and our luggage) was taken to a room. We had a room with 2 rooms that were adjoined. My mom took my older daughter in one room, and I took my younger with me in the other room. The rooms were clean, and everything worked well. They had new airconditioners that were quiet and efficient. The bathrooms were spotless. I could find no fault in the room other than the fact that the sewer scent sometimes filled the bathroom, and opening the windows was the only way to get rid of it. Ironically, the smell would waft between bathrooms, and we could only guess that it was the direction of the wind that determined which room was going to be victimized.

The food was good. Pizza, pasta,chicken, and fish were always available, and even my pickiest child would eat the fries, pasta and rice dishes when nothing else suited her. They had lamb, pork, beef and many types of veggie dishes. The desserts were not fantastic, but there was always a cake, ice cream or cookie dish that did the job and satisfied the sweet tooth. No complaints in the food category either. They had omlettes and pancakes too. Everything was good for the most part.

The beach was beautiful. I read the reviews and brought water shoes for all of us, which did wonders. It was windy but the water was warm. There was a good bit of seaweed in the water, but we knew that the turquoise areas had no seaweed (which you could see with the naked eye from the shore,) so we called it the "lagoons" and headed straight for them every time. When we got cold, we would leave and go to the pool, where the wind decreased considerably and the hot sun would warm us up quickly. Just a tip for parents with kids under 12 - take them snorkelling, and risk them seeing things in the water that makes them REFUSE to go swimming in the beach again. A few crabs and sea urchins did it for my girls. Good thing I took them snorkelling 2 days before we left. Beware also that there is NO KIDS CLUB... they say they have it when you're booking, but when you get there, you find out there isn't any kids club at all, so any visions of having fun with some exotic alcoholic beverages while your kids drive someone else crazy should be erased. It was one of the things that upset me, because I had the kids with me all the time and I was unprepared for that.

The pool was nice, the music they played was very relaxing, and even with the kids screaming in the pool I had time to unwind. The days went by very slowly as the only concern I had was when to pry myself off the chair and get the kids ready for their next meal.

There are too many pluses to mention, the grounds were well kept, the washrooms immaculate,the food was good and the beach was beautiful.

There were 3 things I would like to advise though.
1) There is limited alcoholic drinks: The crowd here was dominated by older seniors and people with families, so the variations of alcoholic beverages were of no concern to most of us (especially us with kids and no kids club, I must bitterly add) There will be no daquiris, ceasars, or specialty drinks coming your way here. Mojitos and Santiagos are available though.
2) The prostitutes are there. Bleeding obvious too. With men about 30 years older than them. They eat at the restaurant, hang out at the pool, and walk the grounds like regular guests with their customers. They did not bother me one bit, although having 2 girls of my own, it did make feel sorry for them. If you're sensitive about this issue, I caution that there were at least 4 while I was there.
3) People forget Health issues. I was constantly moving myself and the kids from tables because a pack of people would sit right next to us and on mass, light up 4 or 5 cigarettes. While it bothers me none, I can't stand the idea of my kids breathing that stuff in. Even with everything being open, the main bar was constantly polluted with smoke. I resorted to taking my coffee and pineapple juice to my private balcony to protect the kids from the secondhand smoke. Even in the airport, people would sit right next to children and light up.

All in all it was well worth it. An afforable taste of paradise.

Ironically, one of the reviews recently left was by the wonderful family who let us infront of them at the baggage check when we lined up at counter #4 as per the intercom announcements. 20 minutes later, there was no one at #4 and the lineup for #3 was well past 100 people. They let us go infront of them and I just wanted to say thank you again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank AjaxSweety
Toronto
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I just got back early this morning after a week at Caracol with my hubby and 3 children ages 10, 12, 15 and we all had a great time!

We booked through tripcentral.ca with Nolitours and flew with Air Transat. AT serves PC noodles and a small dessert which were not bad considering what I've had on charters before! Yes, we were about 45 min late leaving... because they need to fix something on the wing. I'd rather wait and have it fixed than not fix it anyday!

The 90 min bus ride to the hotel is a bit draining... but no one can say you are not advised/warned - and you always have a choice to book somewhere else.

Check-in was fine. Yes, they did try very hard to have people leave their bags in the lobby, eat, then check-in - which we did and were glad to do. The food was just fine - if you are used to buffets in Cuba, Dominican, Mexico etc I'd say this buffet was actually one of the better ones. The grill (pasta and meats at dinner and lunch and eggs and pancakes for breakfast) was a great option. I really enjoyed the pasta, chicken kabobs and roasted chicken and pig, but the grilled beef and beef kabos were very tough.

They don't have a hotel brochure/map (its small enough to figure things out quickly) mind you at night you do feel a bit lost trying to find your room by the reception staff pointing you in the general direction. We found our rooms easy enough. We had two gardenview rooms and although we had hoped to have rooms with doors opposite each other, we ended up on the same floor, same side of the building, with a very short walk around to the other side of the building to the other door.

The room is basic, a bit worn (could use some paint) but all in all - clean, comfortable, and enough room. They had windows in the "entry way" and in the bedroom area that faced the pool and also windows that faced the opposide side where the pig roast was held one evening and the tennis court area. One of the rooms had sliding glass doors facing the pool instead of just a window, with a little balcony. We were on the first floor and had no major complaints. We did find a little gecko in our room the first night on the drapes, but we just left "lizzie" be and by the next day it was gone. That might have thrown some people off, but hey, they are harmless and kinda cute! The other room had a leak in the tub/plumbing somewhere as water leaked onto the tiles even though the curtain was pulled across tight. This room also had ants, but they stayed in one area and we ignored them. As with all resorts, 2nd floor is always best to get to avoid critters. Also, neither tubs had a stopper, so if you don't like showers, bring a few sizes of plugs just in case!

As I said, we found the food to be great - sure its not like heading to some restaurant chain, but for 5 of us, 3 kids who can be picky, all ate very well. The kids often slept in and grabbed a burger or hotdog and fries for "brunch" at the beach bar. We ate a variety of foods, even salad fixings each day and drank (not too much though) and none of us even had a stomach ache. I'd skip the a la carte - same food is available at the buffet pretty much and there isn't the wind off the beach to contend with.

The pool is smaller than we expected, but good nonetheless. The pool/swim up bar was closed for the week being spruced up but it should be back open by today. They had a temporary bar set-up in front and had everything we needed. The drink cups are very small - so bring a thermos of sorts. We all brought the bubba keg mugs which keep things cold a long time. I add a bit of ice to my beer and the ice stays frozen before I finish my drink (which I nurse) thus having a pint size or larger of ice cold beer that doesn't get watered down.

The public washrooms were all well attended... no complaints.

We never had a problem getting loungers, shade was limited, but we always managed to get cover. They have foam floating mattresses in the pool which was nice - we brought our own cheap air mattress to use, but ended up bringing them back home still in the package.

The massage was awesome! The towel attendant spent most of her time with him instead of in the towel room, but was always friendly and willing to exchange our towels as need be. Even the music was good - not repetative, mostly cuban, but also some current top 10. Entertainment during the afternoon was limited - Ramon (he is a very good host for the week) explained that the posted schedule is outdated as they only have himself and one other (George) to do the games etc. Check to see what is actually planned for the week rather than go by the schedule.

The beach was nice, but we stayed by the pool. It was very windy and the seaweed was too much to wade around in. We took a cab (11CUC return) to Coco beach for an hour or so and stopped in a locals home to purchase some bracelets. Sure makes you appreciate what we have here. Coco beach was nice - very rocky (coral) so water shoes are a must. Even at the Caracol beach we were very careful on the sand as there is a lot of fine coral and shells around that you could cut your foot on. Note that the cabbies may try to cover the meter and just tell you a fare... for example, we were told 20CUCs to go to Coco beach and it was really 11.

The grounds are well kept, a bit bare/dry but they do a good job with what they have.

We had to make use of the doctors clinic - our eldest got an allergic reaction/rash to the sun and her itch wouldn't stop with the antihistamine and vitamin E cream. The front desk called the doctor at Oasis Brisas and a cab for us at 11pm (2CUC each way by cab). The doc there suggested benadryl and cortizone shots along with cortizone cream, but our daughter opted for the cream only ($11CUC). Next morning we had to go back for the shots anyway ($68cuc) and while we had to wait about an hour for the doc the second day, both doctors and the nurse were very nice.

Each evening we attended the show, all which start off with something for the kids which is cute to watch. The magician is awesome and the bands are ok. It's not vegas, but again, you are in a 3 star in Cuba, so sit back an enjoy. We didn't go to the club/disco at all.

There were a number of reports about prostitutes...we did see two cases where a much older man and a much younger attractive girl were together, but as others have said, the girls (in the resort anyway) do not stray far from the man they are with, so aside from the intial shock value, they were not a bother.

As for tipping, we left a CUC a day for the maid, tipped a CUC here and there for the bartenders and kitchen staff... and got good service.

For a 3 star, it was good value for the money. The Brisas, a 4 star, didn't look much nicer - but maybe they had more services to offer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank Cally123
St. Catharines, Ontario
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We booked our vacation at our local travel agent, we flew Cabana, let me say, it's a basic flight. At the airport we saw a least 15 flight attendants board the plane with all sorts of bags and gifts from Canada, but rarely saw any flight attendants aboard the aircraft. We asked for water and never received it. There were 3 flight attendants that served dinner (ham and cheese sandwich, small orange juice and a dessert) and that was all you saw of them. When they bought a beer or pop they waited and expected a tip.

At the resort check in was smooth, they kept the food open for us since we arrived at 10:45p.m. Which was not bad, since they have warming plates. The 1st day we explored the hotel and expected worse than we saw for a 3 star in Cuba (I have been to 5 star resorts in Cuba before). The weather was good, the food was ok (we stuck to the pasta, bread, ham & cheese sandwiches and fires....come on people its Cuba the food is going to be bad, your not going for the food, if you want good food go to Florida.) The weather was fantastic by the pool; if you went to the beach it was really windy. The pool had a bar, which served beer until 11p.m. The only downfall is going to the disco or the hotel store to buy beer since there is no beer after 11p.m. We went on a tour of the town and snorkeling which were great excursions.

The staff at this resort was very friendly. There is really no nite life after 11p.m. on the resort, but Nemours bars outside of the resort. There are two right at the entrance which one is 3 pesos to get in and 1.50 pesos for a beer, which I will warn you that there is Prostitutes there (and they do go back to the hotel if the gentleman that picked her up pays) but just don't look, who cares what other people do, u r going for a good time. That bar closes at 3a.m, and then you go over to the next bar which is open till 5a.m. There is also a bar over by Gran Club Santa Lucia, which you pay 5 pesos to get in with unlimited drinks and beer.

There is currently no gym at this hotel since they are re-building it and there is other maintenance happening on this resort (painting)

To all the people that had a bad review, I’m not sure what you are doing to upset the friendly staff, but we all had a great time for the money we paid. If you are that picky then go stay at a 5 star resort. We don't need you at this resort!

Overall the food was ok, (don’t recommend the a la carts) the beach was ok and the rooms were clean. We had an ocean view room with a nice breeze. "Reidel" our PR guy was great and so was all the staff.

I would recommend this hotel, since the price was great.

*ALSO Bring a thermous or big cups*** - the drinks of beer and liquor are like shots***

7 Thank smooth_cm
Toronto
Reviewed March 8, 2009

THERE ARE NO PICS, BUT PLS. READ ON...(The reason being---I was too sick and weak to be a "journalist").
No. 1 CUABANA airllines, thumbs down... Before I continue, Iwant the readers to be informed that this was my 4th trip to Cuba (2 of which were amazing, and one ok..but never this bad!) Also, I would like to point out that my finace and I were completely prepared for a less than glamorous experience, since we love each other's company; add some sun, warm weather, "half-decent" food and some drinks and we're all set. I will elaborate in the end...stay tuned.
First off, when we arrived, the staff tried to dissuade us from checking in right away and kept asking us to go eat--understandable, but we weren't that hungry and just wanted to go to our room and then relax. In a nutshell the staff were pushy and unwelcoming from the beginning.
To be fair, once we arrived in our room, it was exactly what we expected, minus the fact that we booked the trip over a month ago and I asked for an ocean view (which they did have available, but did not accomodate). The room was large, clean, but very run down - not a problem, we were not intending to stay in it much at all.
By the time we had settled in and had some food (which was understandably cold by that time), we went to go and enjoy the 24hr. bar, we asked for a cold beer and they told us that after 11pm there is no beer anywhere on the resort--what????? Yes it's true, if you like your cold ones, you're out of luck! We had to go out of the resort, to a disco, and buy our beer. Anyhow, we were not going to let any of that discourage us.
I will make this short....so for the remainder of our stay, that is what it was like, the staff was unaccomodating, always strangely rude at dinner and the front desk, the food was luke warm (FYI they don't have "warmers" under their food stations, so the bacteria festers, slowly but surely). This is for all those who have that digestive system that is already finiky---I ate mostly bread, pasta and fries, and still managed to get violently ill from the second day there. I took Dukoral (diarraeha vaccine) a month before we left, I didn't drink the tap water, and didn't touch anything that didn't look familiar. I hope you get my point. To boot my illness lasted the rest of the week, while I pumped myself full of Imodium, Gravol and painkillers, to no avail. So to comment on the "half-decent" food---FORGET IT! In addition, we enjoyed one sunny day, the rest were cloudy, litteraly cold, rainy (I wore my UGGS one night), and super, super windy. So much for the SUN part! It's one thing to be sick, but to have no sun or warmth to look forward to--well...enough said.
The grounds were ok, but we expected us much, the gardener and maids were sweet, and in the end (last few days) we found a bartender who was kind enough to fill up 2L pop-bottles of beer for us just before the "beer" bar closed at 11, and he kept them cold for us for the rest of the night. Most of the trip we drank lots, but only because there was nothing else to do, and it kept the pain away from me (if only for a few hours). However, unless you are all about being drunk 24/7 (which is not the case with us, and because I was sick we spent it mostly in the room, which I mentioned was not bad and "cold"--thank God), this place willl not be for you. You couldn't go kayaking, swimming or anything because of the terrible winds, and don't even get me started on the condition of the beach! In the end my fiance benefitted from some nights of beer and we met another really great couple (whom we will remain friends with), and the one sunny day we went snorkelling. At the end of the trip I actually cried from being so hungry -- the food is recycled and smells all over the resort (yuk!).
Please save and spend the extra cash, check your forcast...btw...high winds CAN ruin your stay--anything over 20km/h is waaaaaay to much and you will feel cold, and go to Varadero or even Holguin, you will not regret it!
Think this through really well and if you don't mind starving, being freezing cold and all you want to do is sit around (even the pool was too cold) and get super smashed---BE THEIR GUEST!
I truly wish you a good stay, should you still decide to go here...as I ALSO read the many many many wonderful reviews...WE got taken for fools. Oh well, you can't win 'em all....just beware and be safe:)

3 Thank sassynit
Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2009

You cannot have a bad time here (unless you have a bad additude). The service is amazing, the drinks are great and the grounds are beautiful. The rooms could use a coat of paint but I didn't come here to sit in my room. The maids were amazing and love the little gifts I brought. (They really apprciated tampons) I also brought treats for the cats on the resort and they would follow me around! There are 4 resorts on this beach. Mayanabo, Caracol, Gran Club and Brias. You are able to drink and eat at any of them. That was really cool. The food is sort of bland, but they was a good selection. I would reccomend you bring salad dressing!! There are discos nearby (like a 4 min walk) if you want to stay up all night and dance and drink. The whole resort was very clean. Definatley do the horse back riding if you get the chance. It's awesome! Same with the swimming in the coral reef. We met some locals who showed us around their homes and town. It was amazing to see and make us relieze how much we have here in Canada and what we take for granted.

I would go back here in a heartbeat and I am planning to later this year!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank amorari
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Caracol C during reading week. We both really enjoyed it. We waited for a really good deal on itravel2000 and called in to request an ocean-view room with a king sized bed and we got it! I highly recommend doing this with your travel agent. The hotel was really nice, out-dated, but very clean, typical Cuba. The resort was smaller than the other ones on Santa Lucia beach but we liked that there weren't any lines or overcrowding. It seemed a lot more homey. We often went to the other hotels, Mayanbo, Gran Club and Oasis Brisas. It didnt seem to be a problem to use their beaches, pools, get drinks there and shop at their shops. Oasis Brisas had the best selection of cigars, but Gran Club was cheaper. We got all of our liquor and souvenirs at our resort though. All the staff were really nice except for the daytime pool bar tender, he was quite rude. I was quite impressed by the food. It was a lot better than the selection at other resorts I have been in Cuba. We loved the breakfast, bacon (get the cook to cook it better for you), omellettes and fresh fruit every morning. Lunch was good. Dinner was a little dissapointing because it wasn't too different than lunch, but you could book to eat at Club Amigo Mayanbo or at the restaurant (although we went on the cuban night and I think that`s what made us sick the one day. we decided not to go to the international night the next day.) There`s also the snack bar that serves drinks, hamburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches from 10-5 each day. I loved all the drinks, especially the Santiago Especial (definitely order one!), Margaritas, Mohitos and Daquiris were good too. My boyfriend loved the Pina Coladas and the Ron Punch. After 11, when the shows were done (entertaining but nothin too special, again you could go over to the other hotels to see there's), the pool bar would close (pool closed at 6), but the lobby bar was open all night and the service there was really good, didnt have as much selection tho. You could get grilled sandwich if you got hungry late at night.

We spent most of our mornings by the pool. It's small, but really nice and refreshing. The beach was ok. It was pretty windy and there was lots of stuff by the water because of the coral reef. We didnt mind and just mostly used the pool. We did take out the peddle boat to the reef and went for a swim which was nice. We also did the snorkling excursion (25 pesos) to the reef, which was definitely the highlight of our trip. You catch on fast and the fish and coral are amazing. We also did the horseback riding (6 pesos) which was nice, but the leader wasnt very social, only worth it because it was so cheap. We took the bikes out (free but there were only 3!) a few times to the near-by towns. All the cubans we meet are very very nice, but very poor. We brought candy for the kids. Some cubans also ask for cloths, which we left for our maid. FYI the phone cards are 10 pesos and they worked for us no problem. Internet is 6 pesos for an hour but it's unbelievably slow. The gym is currently under construction due to a storm over there. There were two or three cats on the resort and one of which who had kittens!! We thought they were adorable, but I know not everyone would appreciate this. Also, we did notice several older men hiring cuban excorts at the resort. It bothered us, but they mostly kept to themselves. Overall we had a really good stay. It was pretty much what we expected for the money we paid. It was a nice smaller resort and we heard of several travellers who had been there many many times, I understand why. :)

3 Thank lilreddanielle
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Bravo Caracol? Share your experiences!