Bravo Caracol
$102
$98
  • Breakfast included
Club Amigo Mayanabo(Playa Santa Lucia)
$74
$70
  • Breakfast included
Brisas Santa Lucia(Playa Santa Lucia)
$91
$84
  • Pool
$90
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Las Tunas(Las Tunas)
$51
  • Pool
Villa Tararaco(Playa Santa Lucia)
All reviewssitting roombeach barpastawater shoesfishentertainment stafffrieshamburgersmall living roomhot dogsa la cartericesmall resortthe grillla bocacommercial centreshrimp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Last year I indirectly made a promise to Beachlovertoo if she would come to my piece of Heaven…..I would come to hers. Sooooo……this year the first week of April:

All went well with our flight with Canjet there and back. The 1 ½ hour drive to the hotel went by quickly even though the drive was not that scenic. Mostly all flat and brown grass with fields of cows or horses and a few goats. But I knew there was a reason people loved to come to this hotel, and I could see why when we drove up. The hotel was very nice and colourful with beautiful gardens. As always, we ended up at the end of the line……but no worries, we enjoyed our rum punch which was served as we waited, and Beachlovertoo showed up to welcome us. Thanks to Beachlovertoo, the King and I were given the royal treatment.

ROOMS:
We ended up in a bungalow on the beach #327 and I finally found “the room” which has been appearing for years in the Sunwing Book for Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales. As you enter the bungalow, the first room is a sitting area with a patio and a mini frig. Here you can leave your shoes, beachbag and beachtowels and not take them into the bedroom. It was also a great place to sit and read if you don’t want to sit outside on the patio. There was a separate door for the bedroom which you can also lock at night. And how appropriate, a kingsize bed for the King and I. The bathroom was a 4 pc. so you can also take a bath. We found the water pressure to be good and had lots of hot water. Everything was in good working order and our maid did a lovely job of keeping our little castle on the beach clean. And the view from our room was like a painting. The digital safe was not included with the room. Costed us 14 CUC’s for the week. And each having our own card to enter the room was a real plus.

FOOD:
For breakfast, I had my fresh to order omelette and the King his sunnyside eggs. When there was a line-up we settled for the scrabble and boil eggs at the buffet with a little bacon. Of course as always enjoy the bread in Cuba. Coffee we would get from the Coffee Bar next door and return the cups and saucers after breakfast as we didn’t like the coffee served in the Buffet. Since we love eating outdoors, for lunch we would eat at the restaurant on the beach which served up hamburgers, hotdogs and fish. As far as the dinning in the Buffet went, the selection was not large but tasty. Also, they tried to change something each night…..so sometimes you did get mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, etc…… It was not all Cuban food. They had a nice selection at the salad bar, so always started off with a salad. The King always started with the soup. Said they made a great soup. Loved the fresh pasta bar but the only complaint I really had was that the lineup for the pasta was also the lineup for the meat of the day. So if you only wanted a couple of slices of meat you had to wait for the people ahead of you who were getting their fresh pasta made. So I just settled for what they had at the Buffet. We didn’t take advantage of the a la carte so cannot comment on that. Nor the buffet at Hotel Mayanabo or Brisas Santa Lucia. Maybe next time! One week just flies by so fast when you are in good company.

BEACH:
The beach was gorgeous even though the water was full of grass and bits of coral so needing our watershoes but a lovely stretch of beach for walking. The grass washed up on the beach was being cleaned daily. No problems finding a chair in the mornings. It was windy everyday by noon so great for the windsurfing and the kite surfing. And Mr. & Mrs. KitchenerRamon ruled as far a windsurfing went. KitchenerRamon was even giving some of the tourists lessons and even got eeeefarm to ride the board. We got to snorkel in cubacarols’ coral garden. We had the pleasure of the Snorkelling Queen eeeefarm take us out to show us where the garden was and were entertained by the squid. Also enjoyed our catamaran rides.

TOURS:
Some of the Tours being offered were: Iguana Tour, Playa Bonita Tour, Crocodiles Tour, Coral Tour, Sunset Cruise, Natural Reserve Cangilones Tour, Last Night in Camaguey Tour, Cuban Countryside (Rancho King) Tour, Deep Sea Fishing, Lobster Dinner in Coco Beach, Santa-Lucia's VIsit and also on the list they offered Horseback Riding for an hour. Beachlovertoo had already booked my King for the Deep Sea Fishing Tour before we came and his share was 51 CUC’s. Beginners luck - he was the only one who caught a big fish, I believe a Mahi Mahi, which he gave to a frequent guest who had the kitchen prepare it and it was shared at the Buffet. Mmmmmm…..it was good!!!! We also booked with one of the handsome cowboys (Horse Ridings Tours) on the beach for a horse and buggy ride to beautiful Coco Beach and back for 15 CUC’s each which included lobster dinner with shrimps and fish at a Paladar in the village of La Boca.

ENTERTAINMENT:
Thumbs up!!! I can see why they got voted as the #1 hotel for Entertainment on Playa Santa Lucia. I never play Bingo…..and bingo if they don’t get me to play 3 times. The first time the Caracol House Band played between breaks like every few numbers called and the entertainers got us up to salsa. The Bingo winner had to get up on the chair and do the Reggaeton to get their bottle of rum to the laughter of the audience.
During dinner at the Buffet Restaurant, Alberto, Luis and Miguel would go from table to table and entertain us. At night they sang and played with the Caracol House Band. At 9:00 p.m. was the Childrens Show, at 9:30 p.m. the Entertainers would get us up to dance Salsa for a ½ hour to the band (enjoyed dancing with Jorge & Javier) and at 10:00 p.m. the Regular Evening Show with talented dancers, modelling and also audience participation. Especially the Mr. Caracol Contest……was hilarious!!!!!
During the day they had all sorts of fun things going on from bocce to water polo. The water polo teams wore caps and we killed ourselves laughing while they played. And of course the usual dance lessons.

The big surprise was Mr. & Mrs. sailOrman showing up in the evening after dinner in the Lobby of Hotel Caracol. You should have seen Beachlovertoo. We had quite a few nice evenings with them and all the other wonderful Caracol guests and and TA members which we finally got to meet in person.

Now one of the things that I was disappointed in was that we were told by our Nolitours Rep. that they would have some sandwiches there for us in the morning at the 24hr. Coffee Bar. There were none. But fortunately, I carry granola bars with me when I travel so I was Okay for the 1 ½ hr. drive to the airport. There I ended up with a pizza. Yes pizza for breakfast….ha….ha….
Another thing I didn’t like was that they didn’t have a separate line for the meat and the Pasta Bar. Besides that I loved everything about this hotel.

***We have to say a special “Thank You” to all the staff and entertainers at Hotel Caracol and all the wonderful people that we met there for including us into the Caracol family. You all made our stay extra special. Also, special thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Beachlovertoo for going that extra mile for us. Definitely, planning to return to Hotel Caracol again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Coral Queen
Reviewed July 23, 2012

If I had to sum up our latest trip to Caracol I think the expression I would use would be “Good Customer Service”.

Introduction
From the time we arrived at the Cubana Airline check-in counter where the flight attendant recognised us as having flown with them before and welcomed us back, until the time we arrived home we were treated with some of the best Customer Service we have ever experienced.

Upon arrival at Camaguey airport we were greeted by Jose, the Hola Sun Rep who also remembered us.

But it is the staff at Caracol where Customer Service really excels!

I am going to be repeating some of what I have posted in my previous 2 reviews of Caracol last year but as some people seem to harp on the negatives I think it is only fair that the positives receive equal time.

So think of this not as a re-post of previous reviews, but rather reinforcement that they were not just a “fluke” and rest assured that Caracol provides consistent good customer service.

Arrival
Check-in was fast and painless. And although it was the middle of the night the receptionist was pleasant, always smiling and efficient.

Mary at the lobby bar was ready to greet us with a mojito and snack before we retired for what was left of the night.

When day broke and we finally dragged ourselves out of our room, we were greeted with many familiar faces, each and every one of them welcoming us back with open arms as if we were long lost friends.

Bartenders
Moro, Alyia Rosa, Victor, Lisset, Jorge, Mary, Odalys and others kept the mojitos and cervezas flowing all week quickly and with plenty of smiles.

Masseuse
We have yet to use the services of David the masseuse ourselves but he comes highly recommended by others that have. None the less, David is always ready to stop and chat with us making us feel welcome and at home at Caracol, referring to us as “family.”

Sanchez of course is still quick to prepare his excellent lunches at the beach bar and the fish and chips are as good as ever. The chefs in the buffet (sorry I don’t know their names) are ever at the ready with omelettes for breakfast or pasta for dinner.

And I will no longer accept suggestions that the food is bad in Cuba. We had the opportunity to meet with a Cuban family visiting for the weekend and I confirmed with them that the food at Caracol was good. And as we are growing more accustomed to it, I have come to the conclusion that because the food in Cuba “looks” like food we are used to, just because it doesn’t “taste” like food we are used to has deceived us into thinking it is of inferior quality.

You wouldn’t go to Mexico and suggest the food was bad just because you didn’t like Mexican food. Nor would you go to Japan and complain the food was bad just because you didn’t like Japanese food. But burritos and sushi are visually different from foods we are more accustomed to so it is easier to make the distinction with them.

And as Caracol is a smaller resort than others, don’t expect to find a large variety of international cuisine. But you can expect to experience some of the best “Cuban food” at Caracol.

The Maids
As we spent very little time in our room we seldom saw the maid. But of course we saw the evidence. Our maid would often leave us a little note that helped to brighten our already very sunny days. The towel art, which sadly we have almost started to take for granted was exceptional on this trip.

And it wasn’t until the last day that we were surprised to discover our maid was none other than the multi-talented, Alyia Rosa – one of our bartenders/servers!

Entertainers
Your MCs Raymon and Jorge introduce the performers with an infectious enthusiasm that will keep you wildly anticipating the next act.

The dancers’, such as Barbi & Eduardo (and all the rest – once again sorry I don’t have all your names) moves range from graceful and artistic interpretation to an earthy sensuality that will titillate your senses thanks to the choreography of Roberto (Zhukov). They are unquestionably more talented than any other team we have seen in Cuba.

The mood for each act is set with the talents of the music provided by DJ Anyer and lighting by Chino/Emilio (Caracol’s resident artist).

During the day, the Animacion staff will keep you as busy as you want to be with pool volleyball and some crazy games such Cuban Hockey, Ring Toss and Bingo. Thanks to people like Jasmine, Raymon & Jorge – all backed by the pounding beat of Cuban music, once again, compliments of your DJ Anyer.

The Band
And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the Band. The core 3 – Alexander, Alfredo and Luis still roam through the buffet at dinner to serenade you with your favourite Cuban melody or an occasional Beatles favourite.

But for the night show, their numbers have increased to 7 with the addition of a drummer, keyboardist, bongo drummer and second lead singer that complement the original 3 making them arguably the best band in Cuba since the demise of the Buena Vista Social Club!

On and Off The Resort
Since we visited Caracol last November 3 boardwalks leading to the beach have been added making the short walk more enjoyable.

Yes there is still seaweed on the bottom of the ocean floor with sandy patches throughout. Personally I love the feel of the seaweed on our bare feet as much as I love walking barefoot on a grassy lawn. This also makes the beach at Caracol a snorkeler’s paradise. There are lots of ocean creatures such as starfish and a variety of brightly coloured species of fish to be discovered close to shore.

But there didn’t seem to be as many rocks to walk over to enter the water this time, so perhaps they have been working at cleaning them up.

Work is underway for an extension at the beach bar and I look forward to seeing it completed the next time we visit Caracol.

There are lots of excursions to book to visit nearby attractions. Dany – our resident Hola Sun Rep was a delight to talk to. Even though this was our third visit to Caracol she was able to offer us some good advice and took care of all our booking needs.

Once again we booked a snorkelling trip to the coral reef – second only in size to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

We also booked the “train” ride through Santa Lucia for just 10 CUC pesos per person. The visit at the local school was of particular interest.

As we were unable to find Pepe, our favourite horse and buggy driver, Raymon (not the MC) took us in his horse & buggy for an “exploratory” trip to Coco Beach. As it was our last day we just wanted to check it out but will definitely return to spend a day at Coco Beach on our next trip and probably have dinner at the home of one of the local people.

On the way back, thanks to a tip from jcsun in his review “Club Amigo Caracol April 14-21”, we stopped at the pizza shack for a bite to eat. Two pizzas (approximately 8” in diameter) cost us 1 CUC peso. (Thanks John.)

Behind the Scenes
And of course there are a host of others such as gardeners, maintenance and cleaning staff, doctor, maids and various other support staff who often go unnoticed. From my experience – that they are unnoticed is an indication that they excel at their jobs.

But they deserve recognition just as much as those on the front lines do.

Management
Of course a well-run resort such as Caracol does not happen by chance. Behind the scenes at Caracol is another dedicated group all striving to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Lis-Beth, Fidel and Santiago are just a few of the management team whose dedication to excellence is obvious.

When I told Fidel I would be writing another good review for Caracol on Trip Advisor he just smiled, shook my hand and, typical of Cuban friendliness and sincerity, said “More important, you come back.”

When my wife was talking to other guests at Caracol she would often say, “I don’t know what it is about Caracol that keeps bringing us back.” By the end of the week, I think I had it figured out. It’s the intimacy of staff and guests alike that exist at Caracol more than any other resort we’ve been to.

It becomes very difficult at Caracol to make the distinction between what is Good Customer Service and what is sincere friendship. I like to believe that it’s a bit of both.

Thank you to everyone at Caracol – for being our friends.

- Jim & Shirley

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
20  Thank Madrugada52
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Hola All you Cubanites!

Well I must say it's getting really funny that I keep getting the same Cuban Customs officier who seems to remember me at Camaguey Airport. We had a very good week with a bit of rain on Wednesday afternoon then hot, hot hot! Our first stay at Caracol (the other 8 times include Mayanabo, Santiago de Cuba, & Holguin will venture out to Havana and Varadero next time) and salsa dancing with the locals and Javier was alot of fun. We won a bottle of rum at Bingo, another was given to me as a gift from friends at Mayanabo and the other bottle was left in our room as a complimentry gift from the hotel. We drank and swam at Mayanabo with no problem Jimmy who's still there said relax and enjoy your selves that was very nice of him of course we tipped the bartenders not to take advantage of the resort. We had a trip to King Ranch for the rodeo show which was included with the package and a lunch with drinks and food. It was quite interesting and we got to see where Fidel Castro stayed when he visited there back in the 60's.
They have his room set up on display for all to go look at just like it was then pretty cool. Went out one nite and watched Gran Club's fashion show which was good no problem in visiting the strip of other hotels again. I like the fashion shows wish they would do more of them. I must say the Caracol staff go out of there way for you are super friendly but it was not crowded at all this week so good times for all who were there. The food is about the same very basic but we found stuff to eat so we didn't starve. A tip to anyone going to Caracol you must go to the snack bar and have the fish and chips they are so good!!! 11:30 - 2:30 every day is when we went. Lots of kitty cats who are welcome to share some with you. Bought a straw hat from the vendors on the beach I love it. Took a suitcase full of gifts, clothes and personal items for the Cuban people so it was empty when I left thanks to Cubana Air. All in all another cheap trip away to Cuba for a week and met many Canadians again who come down when the price is right. Hi to all we met hope you had a good trip too Gayle & her friend, Jim & Shirley, Laura and Stacey the newly weds from Ottawa sorry your names escape me right now could be those cubra libras I had, lol. Caracol is rated #1 right now of the 4 resorts and I can see why they try very hard to make your stay enjoyable. We played Cuban hockey what a laugh you Canadians have to try this. Thanks to everyone we spoke to at Caracol we enjoyed our time with you and will be back again to soak up the sun, heat and hold the memories with all the rest we have every time we visit your little jewel in the Caribbean. Our home away from home. Muchos gracias Es un lugar barbaro!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank iluvthedomrep
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have to say.. go to this resort! I booked a last minute deal here for about $500 in January, 2012 from Toronto. Best bang for your buck ever! I went with my boyfriend and two of our friends. We got a nice little building to ourselves, perfect location - close to the pool and beach but far enough to not have any noise at night. The resort was very quite during this week, everyone became a familiar face very quickly. The staff was amazing, very friendly, always smiling and always wanting everyone to get involved and be having fun. My very first day after I got dropped off at the resort by the airport transportation bus, as I was checking in (the bus had already left) I realized I left my winter coat (with car keys and everything in the pocket). I thought for sure that my jacket was gone and that I would never see it again. When I told the check in staff they went above and beyond and called the next hotels that the bus would be stopping at to try and catch it to get my coat back, what do you know, they actually got it back for me! I was so happy!

My only complaint is the food, but that's anywhere in Cuba. The pasta and grilled cheese sandwiches were amazing but other than that I didn't eat much else. The hotel is connected to the same chain as 3 other hotels, one which is a 4 or 5 star. When staying at the Caracol, I believe you are allowed to visit the restaurants 3 times at another resort. We went to the 4 star for dinner one night but I have to say the food wasn't any better and it was more crowded. We liked our resorts kitchen better!

The beach had a cold front for 3 days, but the other 4 days were warm and sunny! The paddle boats and snorkeling gear are free to take out. There is a small bit of reef you can paddle to and snorkel!

There is also a Cuban disco right out in front of Caracol. The disco is safe to go to and filled with the local Cubans, who will probably want to teach you how to dance if you go! There is also an amazing sandwich guy that sells sandwiches at midnight which are to die for, and they only cost $1.00!

The hotel also puts on a show every night, things like a dance performance or a fashion show. They are actually very entertaining and good to go to after super!

My only complaints are:
-The weather may be a little cool in January, bring a sweater for at night.
-Food is very lousy
-They shut the beer tap off at 9pm, either buy beer from the store during the day or hang out at the bar near the reception which is open all night but only serves liquor and sandwiches
-Music by the pool is very loud during the day and the same repetition of songs is played over and over again

But for a cheap, quick vacation, it's perfect!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank monica_buczynski
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We spent a week at Caracol. It was not our first pick, but the dates-and the price-were right. Plus, it is ranked # 1 of 4 resorts in the area.

This is a decent resort, good in many ways but not great. The staff are generally, very keen, at times even over-zealous. Eleni and Randy at the reception desk were wonderful. One exception: one of the bartender’s, a peculiar fellow whose disposition was not improved even by frequent tipping. Most odd.

In true Communist fashion, the employees pool their tips. I ask you, does this really improve service…?

The resort is picturesque-but impractical. The rooms, ours in particular, were located in a Cretianesque labyrinth, weird for smaller resort. This was such an elaborate maze that it took us the better part of our holiday to find a reliable route to and from our room. Finding our way around the resort was unnecessarily challenging.

This is a somewhat smaller resort and as a result, one has the disconcerting feeling of being “watched.” You may also feel pressured to socialize with other guests, this is a problem if you desire privacy; it is also problematic in another sense: many are dirty old men. We witnessed a number of middle-aged men (even a few senior citizens) unabashedly on the prowl for young Cuban girls. The graphic language used by these “guests” was very offensive. Fortunately, our children were not present, but had they been with us, there would have been a big problem.

The beach is really quite bad, invested with stinging reeds and small shells close to shore. The beach is not being well maintained; sadly, we have seen it slowly decline over the last few years.

The food was ok. You can always find something (stewed) to eat at the buffet, bringing your own condiments helps. The snack bar located near the beach, was a delightful surprise. The food (simple fare, such as burgers, hot dogs, fish and chips) was scrumptious. The snack bar is operates from 10-5pm. We always ate there for lunch.

The nightly entertainment consisted of raucous late night “concerts” by the animation team (mindless fun really). The staff lack serious dance training in any recognizable genre; interestingly, we observed a not so subtle tendency to mock the audience (who ironically, didn’t seem to notice) and judging by the boorish manners of some guests I could see why some staff found it irresistible doing so. Regardless, some of the animation staff were presumptuous and insulting, displaying a lot of cheek under the pretense of clowning around. The music (heavy on bass and extremely loud) was a non-stop celebration of hedonism, pumped out almost 24 hours a day; fueling the atmosphere of wild abandon. Hey, it’s Cuba!

Bring a laptop and some movies, or a box set of a hit TV show on DVD. We enjoyed many peaceful evenings in our room this way (any refined drama can provide a fascinating contrast to Cuba…)

Beware of the characters-Hector; Orlando and Eduardo-who will aggressively pester you, offering to take you by horse and carriage for a lobster dinner at Coco Beach (btw this is not the sweet Maine lobster that you might be familiar with). These chaps are crooks, emphatically/repeatedly promising one price then demanding another after the meal. If they try any tricks (and they will) just stand-up to them, and threaten to make a formal complaint at the resort. Canadians are considered too polite, complacent and easily bullied, and these fellows depend on that.

We found solace in the neighboring resort club Amigo Mayanabo. Mayanabo is not as quaint as club Caracol, but it makes up for this in accessibility. It is a larger resort; the first one built in the region, possessing a palatial grandeur, with a swimming pool that is the most spacious in the area. Unlike Brisas and Gran Club, whose employees are sometimes condescending and unhelpful, Mayanabo has no pretensions to be anything other than it is. The service is good; the staff do not appear to be driven solely by tips. There is a relaxed feel there, and couples can have all the anonymity they desire. We were (thankfully) able to spend some time at Mayanabo, which made our trip much more pleasant. In contrast, neighboring resorts like Brisas and Gran Club Santa Lucia pretend do be better than they are. They do not actually have great service, and they will never approach Canadian standards, instead they behave with self-importance, or attempt to create a personal connection that is inappropriate.

In my opinion, Cubans are a rough and unrefined people, and if you are sensitive, this will disturb you no matter what. Any attempts at sophistication serve only to make situations more uncomfortable. No judgment on the people; poverty is wicked, and it makes people desperate, but Cubans working at resorts and the surrounding areas, are not there for any other purpose than money. They actually attend a school to learn how to do this. Anyhow, theirs is a stinking job…imagine cleaning-up after a crowd of depraved and drunken lower class Canadians, xenophobic Francophone’s, and dirty old men. The Cubans we happened to meet in the cities on the other hand were lovely people.

Alas, after a week of unholy heat, relentless sunshine, heavy drinking, and all around shameful indulgence, we had had enough: 7 days is plenty. Although we will not be returning, Caracol is good value; it is a tropical vacation on a budget, which may be just what you’re looking for. Bon voyage!

Room Tip: Tips: Do not worry about reports of bad weather prior to traveling. Our pre-travel forecast was not good, but this amounted to nothing. The weather was very hot, sunny, and humid. Do not bother with those small travel converters for power sockets-they are rubbish. The front desk will happily re-charge your computer and other electronics for you. Remember to bring a large drinking cup that is re-usable. This will save many trips to the bar. Bring hand soap in a ziplock bag. There's no soap in the shared toilets around the resort. Do not buy booze at the resort. If you plan to stock up on rum, it’s actually cheaper to purchase at the airport after you’ve checked in your luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple