“Good Vacation”
Review of Brisas Santa Lucia

Brisas Santa Lucia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Weather was terrific 30-40'c. Just got back yesterday March 6-13, 2014
...rain only 1 night..downpour for 2 hours...after midnight..
Switched rooms (312) as too close to pool-faced it and its noisy...til 11pm and didn't want to be on the first floor. Staff was great at the desk as we finally found a room on a second floor (1622)
they also added an extra bed as they are a bit smaller than a double in size.

BEACH was great...shallow so you can walk out..yes there was seaweed. Great snorkelling off beach...hubby and daughter saw several squids...kids caught a puffer fish at shore line in a bucket...
Daughter did get stung by a jelly fish around 5 pm but they don't look like a jelly fish...pee on the sting...then wash it off and no issues.
***NOTE**** bring bug spray...I was bitten by sand flies...first day..thought it was my suntan lotion-Hawaiian Tropic...so switched to Wal-mart Equate... I did spray my chair before I lay my towel on it..worked for the most part. Also when we went to the Cuban Party (Pig Roast) near beach they had on the lawn...bites again...so be careful in the chair sitting. I wasn't the only person with bites..spoke to a lot of other guests..them as well...One older senior coveredd from the waist down..
.mosquitoes a bit at night but the odd one..its the sand flies....I was the only one in my family who got the bites...

You need to get a chair at the beach early...people were even saving chairs that go in the water...hogging them and not even using them...leave them at the water where every one can enjoy them...its not like your in it for more than an hour. Don't leave them by your loungers...all day incase you go in the water!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of vendors coming to the beach up and down...bothering you.-yes at first they didn't come up to you then they did.....then the last 4 days hotel staff and police were around so nobody really hanging out...great..I think some people complained...So many guys asking you to book a horse riding trip seem to be the concern and other vendors became bolder too.

FOOD..its Cuba...I have been to Cuba before . Variety was good but the same all the time. I didn't enjoy that as much as before. Thank goodness for the Smoothie lady...
Rice was good, pasta bar...fine...would love to see them add shrimp or chicken to pasta bar to change it up a bit..I brought over my shrimp for them to put in the pasta dishes...for a change.
Omelets great...2 egg or if you want 3 like me!...French toast good..some days it was pinkish...not sure if they use strawberry milk but it didn't taste as good those days..they also have pancakes my 10 yr old enjoyed.
Juices were in the powder form (they add it to water to make them up) except for the pineapple juice. I saw that some people brought their own ketchup and peanut butter...
Their ketchup there was fine.

SERVICE
I was surprise to find the service not too good at the tables when we sat down at Buffet. We always had to ask someone for drinks-water, etc..They seem to want to chat with older Italians in groups.
We tried switching tables some days to see if we could get better service....finally one lady was good so we I gave her stuff.

ENTERTAINMENT at night...we didn't bother with it ...kids show was same every night...
They tried to bring entertainment to beach one day but no body was interested...for exercising.
The music was loud so eventually they turned it down and then off at the beach.

You could hear the pool entertainment from the beach. We went up to the pool later in the day..
Entertainment there was fine..music is always so loud.

BAR SERVICE..was okay...we brought 24 oz bubba cups...Snack Bar and pool bar seems to run out of pineapple juice...Lobby Bar was always great for that.
Hubby loved the Coffee Bar...nice...wish they would put a rock or something under the tables..very wobbly...spilling your drink sometime..

MAID SERVICE was great...we brought loads of clothes..left her something daily and the room was very clean...extra towel when needed. She left us a lovely thank you note for the gifts saying how much her and her family appreciated it.
I also gave clothing to gardener, smoothie lady and some other cooking staff.
We also tipped pesos but not as much this trip which was nice.

LIQUOR taking home...if you buy it at the resort you need to pack it in your luggage like we did...NO CARRY ON...rules were changed year ago...Liquor at airport is the same price at the resort..once you pass customs you can purchase it and carry it on...Duty Free
ie..Pineapple liquor 26% proof...3.10 pesos...same at both places..next time I would buy my liquor at the airport....nervous about it packed in my luggage but it arrived safely home wrapped in clothing.
$$...We went 2 years ago and it was 1 peso=1 Cdn $ ..this time for $100 you get only 80 pesos...

We were booked with Nolitours Plus..great..beach towels in room upon arrival, along with free bottle of rum, 2 cans of pop in fridge with 2 large water bottles..(you get the water bottles refilled at the bars)
They have a Nolitours BBQ on the beach..where the volley ball is played..We had 8 pm reservations. We ate at buffet as kids couldn't wait...glad we did .not much food left then..you want 6:30 or 7pm reservations...chicken and ribs...was good we heard that night

ROOM: Very tired looking but fine. Our phone didn't work so when we had to have a wake up call for our flight they came and knocked on the door....
Hot water sometimes...no biggy...
Patio doors are so heavy to move and slide along...our girls 14 /10 couldn't move them.
Nolitours usually have the best rooms near everything- rooms 1-9 but it will also be noisier...we moved from 312 bottom floor to 1622 second floor and farther away..didn't mind the 2 min. walk.
Glad we did as the next night it poured...I would have worried about it flooding the room as it was a bit lower than the ground.

We had nice weather and a good time , safe resort.
..We printed off a map of the layout of hotel before we left which was good as we didn't receive one there. We didn't leave the resort or do any trips this time.

Nice place but I am not enticed to go back....we really loved Hotel Riu Playa Turquesa in Holguin
and hope to go back there...or try somewhere else in CUBA

Room Tip: we had room 312 by the pool lower level..too noisy...so moved to 1622...2nd level no noise...we aske...
2  Thank familygirl22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,951)

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Went over March March break with our kids. We needed 2 rooms as we are a family of 5 and son brought a friend along. Check-in was quick but we were disappointed we did not get connecting rooms (actually we were put in 2 separate buildings). Next day they moved us to same building. We requested connecting rooms with our travel agent but it was not on our form, so can't really blame the resort. Resort is fairly small so not at lot of walking even if you are in a building back from the beach (we were in building 17 away from beach but very quiet, did not hear the nightly show or disco from our room). Rooms are basic, but very clean. Did not see one bug in the room all week, and believe me I looked. AC worked but a little noisy. Hot water was hit or miss, had a few cool showers. Gardens are well maintained-tipped the gardener as they work very hard and I doubt they get many tips, he was very happy! Food in buffet was much better than I expected. Really enough choice and food was fresh and tasty. Recommend the omelette station, french toast, pancakes, smoothies, fresh fruit drinks they blend at breakfast, pasta station for lunch and dinner. Chicken dishes were always tasty, and fresh fish cooked on the grill. Desserts are just so so but the Ice cream was very good. We did not go hungry. Beach bar served hamburgers, occasionally hot dogs, fries, and grilled cheese. Ketchup was fine! Book your a la cartes the next day after you arrive (10-12) as they seem to book up fast. With Sun Wing you get 3, we tried the Italian, Seafood and Cuban. All were good but Italian was our favourite as had a huge piece of fish. Note that the beach barbeque is only for Nolitours guests and not Sunwing.
Beach was very nice, though people saving chairs at beach and pool for hours on end was a little annoying. Water was warm. Yes there is seaweed that washes up on the beach but they rake it up with a tractor so really not an issue. There is sea weed growing in the water but you could easily enter the water in an area with a sandy bottom. Snorkeling was ok from shore. From the beach facing the water swim out to the far bouy on the right hand side where you will find some rocks, coral and colourful fish. We brought our own snorkel gear but they do have it available to borrow. We walked the beach and toured the other hotels. Gran Caribe was busy just like Brisas but looked a little more worn down. The Caracol looked lovely but extremely quiet which depending on what you are looking for could be a good or bad thing. We paid a guy at Caracol to take us out on the Catamaran for an hour of snorkelling for about 10 pesos each. This was well worth it as the snorkeling was fantastic, with beautiful coral. We also did the Playa Bonita excursion with included snorkeling and beach time and a seafood or chicken lunch (excursion was well worth it). We took bicycles from the resort to the village of Tararaco (turn right coming out of resort) and about 5 minutes down the road. Villagers have set up stalls at side of road where you can buy souveniers (much cheaper than at the resort). Met Brauolio's daughter selling necklaces (he owns the Organic Restaurant in town that is highly recommended). She is lovely! We also did horse back riding from the resort (15 pesos for 1 Hr 15 min). Saw the flamingoes. I think we must have had the government horses as they did not look as healthy as some of the horses we saw elsewhere. Note that if you walk down the beach past the resort you will be approached by locals asking for clothes, money etc. Never felt threatened and we did end up giving them some clothes. There is a lot of security on the beach so they really do not hassle you if you stay in front of the resorts.
Overall, for the price this was a very good vacation. Yes, there are a lot fancier resorts but they will cost more. For the price we paid it exceeded my expectations. If you are not too fussy and looking for a clean, comfortable resort, with a good beach then this may be a good option. The animation team had lots of energy and games around the pool were fun. Usually did not have to wait more than a few minutes to get a drink. Many drinks quite sugary which gets sickening after awhile. Bring a Bubba Keg to cut down on plastic waste and as cups are very small. The coffee bar was a favourite (they will do hot chocolate for kids).Staff overall very friendly. Always got drinks offered to us in the buffet. Paddle boats and kayaks were fun, though their only windsurf board the sail was ripped. Also, tennis court I think you have to bring your own racket and balls as did not see any available. Ping pong paddles are worn out. I really think if the Sunwing brochure includes these items they should be available and in good repair!

2  Thank Alison R
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The best trip to Cuba we have ever had. Loved the size of the resort. Easy to get to beach, pool, meals and coffee bar. Beach was beautiful.

Rooms, particularly bathroom was a little old but clean. Housekeeping was terrific. All the staff were friendly.

Great seating areas to gather after dinner.

Overall we had a great time and would not hesitate to go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 914 ... it was central to everything. A little noisy when the show is on but that al...
2  Thank Sue C
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Well where do I start.
Flight
flew canjet for the first time and everyone was so friendly and flight went well as expected. Flew the giant Banana. Arrived on time in Cameguay and the bus ride was 1-1/2 hours long but the scenery was awsome.
Hotel
Arrived at the Brisas and was welcomed with dancing and drinks. Booked into our room in 10-15 minutes. Lots of people behind the counter. our room was 313 and was facing the ocean. Room was clean and we were greated with a free bottle of rum, cookies chocolates 2 large bottles of water (cold in fridge) and a couple of cans of pop.Beach towels were aslo in our room.Had a small veranda to sit and soak up the breeze from the ocean.
Maid Service
Maid service was over the top here at Brisas as on the last day we received a wonderful note from our maid wishing us a safe flight home and left us a couple of gifts that her husband made for us. WOW this never has happened to us. The rest of the days our room was always cleaned very well.
Bartenders
Well there should be more at the pool bar abd the bbq area. Bring big cups like buba mugs or plastic cups with the straws in them from dollarama. To much plastic floating around.Most bartenders were okay but a few were monotone.
Listen up people, I hear lots of people complaining about the food but be real, your in CUBA. They try there hardest to accomidate our stay so suck it up. Theres lots to eat. Its not Mcdonalds you know. Food was great by my standards. Keep up the good work guys.
Over all our trip was marvelous and would go again to this resort.

DONT OVERLOOK THIS RESORT. Thanks Nolitours for the noli plus!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get room 313
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ross W
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I had went on my trip at the end of January 2014 going into February with my boyfriend.

Overall:
This hotel should be a 3 star hotel, not 4...That's all.
I had an amazing time but it had NOTHING to do with the hotel itself but had everything to do with the sun, salt water, sand and my partner and that was it.
I will not come back to this hotel, nor would I particularly recommend it.

Room:
We had been assigned room 1019, it was a good location, close to the pool, beach and entertainment. The music is loud, but it goes off at 11, so it's no big deal cause we were usually watching anyway. So it would've been great except for the fact that there were ants. Little tiny ants were everywhere. They were on the floor, in the bathroom, on all of the counters, we'd find them on our legs sometimes in bed. We aren't too high maintenance people but that was a little ridiculous as we had entered the room on our first night like that. But we wanted to make the best of it and realized it's not like the hotel was going to care and plug up all the holes we found leading outside that were allowing all the bugs in. Then when we went to turn up the a/c a little, we soon realized it had a mind of its own, it would turn on and off whenever it felt like it. When a guy had come to "fix" it, all he did was turn it on level 1 again and he looked at us like we were dumb. We were unable to explain to him that it would just turn off again in a few minutes because of the language barrier. When we went to switch rooms, they said that the ONLY other room available was on the other side of the resort. So we stayed, not knowing if this apparent only room available was worse or not from the one we already had. They were also very rude to us as well, when all we asked was for a new room, we didn't even give them a hard time about any of the stuff before hand or anything.

Food:
The food was the same stuff every morning, lunch and dinner. Also, this is the first resort I've ever been to that expects its guests to get up early or they won't get breakfast. Breakfast was open until 10:00am, but they stop actually cooking things in front of you after 9:30, so you're stuck with the watery and very sad scrambled eggs and same 4 fruits you had the last 7 days before if you don't get there at 9:00am at least or earlier. Near the end of my trip at one dinner time I had found an inchworm in my salad. Yes, an inchworm. It was disgusting. We showed it to a waitress, she looked grossed out, she told her friend who almost looked at us in disgust and then laughed. And that was the end of that. They never checked the salad, never told anyone else, never took the salad away, and never apologized for the fact that I probably already ate a worm in my salad. And if I didn't and I didn't by accidentally catch that worm, I probably would've eaten it.
Also the snack bar is 24/hrs but they only serve fries and hamburgers. I don't eat meat so in between meals all I had the option to eat was fries. Which gets very tiring when normally I eat lots of fruit but the only fruit I had the whole week was pineapples because nothing else was ripe. We had to take things from the buffet at lunch or dinner so we wouldn't be so hungry at night or between lunch and dinner.

Staff:
The staff were mostly very kind and very hard working. But when my boyfriend and I sat down for breakfast, lunch or dinner, we had to chase down the staff to get a glass of water. All we wanted was water with our dinner to stay hydrated but they would never come around. There were never any water pitchers anywhere, and the bar inside the buffet would also not give us water. It was a mission to get anything at this hotel. The waitresses on many occasions would end up talking to big groups of people rather than working and there were so many tables at dinner time with no cutlery whatsoever for anyone else walking in, and they would NEVER get to them for beverages unless you went up to them. And it's not like they were nice to you either when you interrupted their socializing to get a god damned glass of water. It sounds awful of me but honestly when you're that hot and the only way to get water is from them, it gets very frustrating. I worked retail and customer service jobs for many years, I work hard too and I've had to deal with the worst kinds of customers too, but I've also learned how to avoid problems as well, you just treat everyone equally.

During one of the days as well, we had decided to rent a bicycle and ride around for a little while. We went there but the guy there said the tires were flat so we couldn't, we asked him when they'd be filled and he said 30mins to an hour. We came back 3 hours later and they still weren't filled but he let us borrow them anyway. They were pretty beaten up in every way you could think of but they rolled which was good enough for us. We rode around for a bit and when we came back, the man who we had to check these bikes back in with was nowhere to be found as 6 other people looking to check out mopeds were there waiting for him as well. They had ended up just taking the mopeds because the guy never came and we ended up just leaving these bikes there unchained because he never came. I'm not sure how long I had to wait for him but I'm thankful he came back and the bikes were still there as I never got charged for any bikes. But how he handles like 5 mopeds being taken, I have no idea.

One night we were trying to find the "international" a la carte restaurant as we made a reservation. There were no signs to it whatsoever so we went to ask the front desk, they talked to us like we were stupid and then sort of told us, but we never found it as well. I'm serious, it's a mission to get or do anything in this place.

Hotel Layout:
One problem we had which I mentioned above was trying to find the a la carte restaurant which we never found. Everything in this hotel, when you wanted to find something, you had to go here to check in there to get here to get something that you need to get what you originally wanted. Honestly everything is a mission. We didn't even bother going to the disco at night because it was on the other side of the resort then the pool and entertainment and my room, whereas the snack bar was then on the complete opposite side of the resort close to my room. So if we drank, we couldn't eat anything unless we were willing to walk 10mins.

The Beach:
The beach was full of seaweed everywhere. Though they do make a point of trying to get rid of it during the day. You will constantly get bugged by people on the beach as well. You will see the same people every day and they will always ask you if you want to ride a horse when the answer is no every day but they will continue to ask. I understand what they're doing, but when you're trying to relax on vacation and you're in the middle of talking, it gets very tiring to have people come sit beside you when you're half naked asking questions and keep pushing after you say no. Honestly, I would not like to ride an over worked, probably starved and inhumanely treated horse, that doesn't want a 120lb idiot on its back. I had one guy ask us if we brought an extra back pack for him because he has to walk a long walk home and he doesn't have a backpack to hold his things. He made us feel incredibly bad about not giving him our backpack holding our clothes and sunscreen and stuff. Unfortunately we didn't bring an extra one, but honestly if I did, I'd have given it to him, but I also didn't come on vacation to feel bad about this. I work hard for my money as well, I work really hard working 2 customer service jobs like many other people, so no I would prefer not to give away my backpack that I used as my carry on, and to carry the things I need as well in the resort and back home for school.

Diving:
If you are a diver, right beside the hotel is a dive shop which is very convenient. They have pretty cool shark dives available and a few others, the one we went on was a ship wreck dive. The plant life was very pretty, so if you like simple dives like that they have lots of that for 40 pesos for certified divers. They offered your open water diver certification for 180 pesos or a plain dive for a non-certified diver for about 70 pesos which included the in pool session. It was fun and the guys there are great and their English is pretty good.

Entertainment:
I'm not really even sure how to explain this. I'm not sure I even can. I guess it was like watching a grade 6 talent show where everything is DIY and very unnecessarily over the top but everyone wants to show off their talent which isn't very good but everyone claps because no ones sure what else to do. Only one of the nights was any good which was the comedy night. I guess you just have to see the entertainment at night to understand it. I mean, one of the nights there was a fashion show. This is a resort and they had a very DIY trying to be professional fashion show. The whole time I couldn't figure out if it was serious or not. I'm honestly still not sure.

Overall:
This hotel should be a 3 star hotel, not 4...That's all.
I will not come back to this hotel, nor would I particularly recommend it.

Room Tip: We had been assigned room 1019, it was a good location, close to the pool, beach and entertainment...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DaniMarie9
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The Best time ever!!!a good beach really professional staff and great animation.We've been there twice and they have a special lunch for repetant customers.Noli zone as reaaly good extras !!!
You feel safe everywere and there is lots to do !!! Great time would go back anytime.DD et Véro

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank 381VERO1977
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Love every moment there.
******Bring your own drinking M U G S for everyone****** they give away small plastic cups that ended up in the beach by tourist, we want those beaches to last for 100 years to come!!!!!

Room Tip: We got a room in the back not looking at the beach but it did not bother us as we got to see humming...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank lizyt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Casa Particular Miriam Guerra
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca

Been to Brisas Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!