“A reasonable choice for a budget all-inclusive”
Review of Brisas Santa Lucia

Brisas Santa Lucia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent one week at Brisas Santa Lucia in mid-May. We expected the facilities to be relatively modest, given the budget pricing, but hoped that it would at least be decent, clean, well-kept and with no big disappointments. Overall, our expectations were generally met and we had a fun and relaxing week away.

As is often the case, a number of the staff were friendly, attentive and really nice to chat with - our thanks to Nirgis and Luis (bar,) Madelena (coffee bar,) Omelia and Lenore (buffet,) and Johendre (pool.) The front desk ladies (Tunisis and Aly) were helpful in sorting out a quiet room when we checked in - this required a bit of instigating on my part although it did help that I'd sent an email request prior.

We were fortunate that it was a quiet time for the resort which made lounging at the pool pleasantly lively but not rowdy. Likewise, line-ups for the bars and coffee bar were limited. Our favourite spot is always on the beach and Brisas certainly has a long stretch of sand, plenty of loungers and readily available water sport boats which are fun - but all of these experiences were somewhat tainted because the beach can be dirty. There are bits of litter lying around and big piles of seaweed, and although there seems to be staff around it doesn't appear to be anyone's job to actually pick this up.

As many others have commented a number of the resort buildings and individual rooms seem tired and in need of upgrades, fresh paint, functioning air conditioning, etc.

Food was average - again, modest offerings with limited variety, but always enough to eat. We enjoyed plenty of the thin crust pizza and asked the chef to put some of the pasta garlic sauce on top - tasty. Red wine was quite drinkable, a decent option - cocktails (and we tried many of them) were not the greatest, an unfortunate combination of very sweet mixes and low quality alcohols.

Our expectations were exceeded when it came to the entertainment staff. We understand that there are often changes in personnel, but the dancers, singers and hosts that we saw were first rate and we thoroughly enjoyed the couple of shows we attended. These are hard-working staff, you often see them during the day either rehearsing or enthusiastically hosting pool-side activities (the dance classes were fun.)

In summary, we were expecting a budget all-inclusive experience and had heard good things, many (but not all) of which turned out to be true - but overall we had a very fun and relaxing week of tropical vacation.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Suzanne157
Write a ReviewReviews (1,970)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent my holiday from 26th August 2013 to 03rd september 2013 at Brisas Santa Lucia and I won t beleive the good memories I brought with me. The most good thing was the staff. really special. Ex. Me Adis was nice at the Coffee shop. always smiling, gentel and good caring. Abel at the bar was nice too....thank you all guys......see you next time.
said saidane, Montreal;..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Saidou S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went with two other single ladies and another couple May 25-31st 2012. The room smelled musky, and the bathrooms weren't the greatest. The food was the same throughout the week, ate the same thing almost every day. didn't have much variety - even for Cuba. Small resort, little to do. The disco was empty every night, which may not be the resort's fault - not sure. we ended to going to the local town, to their local club a couple times, which was a lot of fun.

We also did the snorkeling trip and the jeep safari. the jeep safari was AMAZING. definitely worth going to!!!! highly would recommend that trip. The staff was very very friendly and was very entertaining. they definitely made the trip a lot better

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank neshiikinz
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visisted this place 5 years ago and last year in June. It is really bad not even worth the 2 stars. If you spend more than 500 including tax for this place you overpayed badly. Food, awfull (I am not picky) but survived on pasta, pizza and hard boiled eggs (all the things I don't eat) but the rest was just so bad. Rooms with leaking ceiling , no hot water, uncomfortable beds, ants; its all there. Workers expect you to tip for nothing, some of them have an attitude. Huge change from 5 years ago. The only reason I would go back is the locals. Love the village and would go back just to see them again.

Room Tip: Go out to the village, coco beach, and talk to local people. That would be the highlight of your tr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank beatka_f
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Not bad, considering it's Cuba!!

We flew down with Sunwing Vacations the week of June 26-July 3 to Camaguey and stayed at Brisas Santa Lucia 4* All-Inclusive. The airline was on time and everything went on schedule. When we arrived in Camaguey at 8:30pm, we gathered our belongings, and boarded our bus, that was awaiting outside the airport. An air-conditioned bus took us to our hotel. We didn’t see much on the bus ride because it was so dark and didn’t seem like there was much to see. About an hour and half ride we arrive at Santa Lucia about 10:00pm. This is where our vacation begins.

Hotel:

There is no need to rush to check yourself in and ask for a specific room because they had already assigned us to a room. I was quite disappointed the first day because I had e-mailed the Manager Roel way in advance for building 2 second floor with an adjoining room for my kids. Roel responded and promised to deliver. Instead they had given me Building 4 (412/413) first floor, no adjoining room. When I asked to be switched they said, that they didn’t have anything available until the next morning. First thing early morning went to reception and responded that they still didn’t have anything available until the afternoon. Returned the afternoon and they found us a room on the second floor in Building 1. Unfortunately, by this point my family was settled in and didn’t want to move. Therefore, we stayed in our room which I had to grow to love. The room was out dated but clean, with a king bed. Also, keep in mind the electricity voltage is not the same as in Canada, so if you are bringing any kind of straighteners/curlers make sure you bring a converter to not melt your appliances. We had partial Oceanview with scenery of the grounds. It was close to the pool, beach, stage and restaurants. Keep in mind if you do get the first floor be aware of little crabs, and bugs outside your door walking around everywhere. If you open your balcony ants find there way in. We had rain almost every night and one night it rained so much that it flooded the outside hallway. We were lucky it didn’t come into our rooms. Yes, the hotel is outdated and old but they try their best to keep up. Which I appreciated! As for prostitutes at the resort we did notice a few young girls with much older Canadian men, but nothing to really alarm yourself with. They seem to only come out at night and most visit the clubs next door. Compared to the other Resorts next door we did stay at one of the better ones.

Staff:

The staff in Cuba are polite and friendly if you tip and don’t give them a hard time. They try really hard to please everyone and expect a tip. If you don’t tip some will get upset, and will be cold with you the next day. We saw this first hand. The waiters/waitresses and maids seemed to be well taken care of. It was the Security Guards at the beach and hotel that were neglected. I was approached by one Security Guard that she was not allowed to eat at the resort and asked if I was able to get her a hamburger and a drink, which I didn’t hesitate to do. Some of the staff seemed miserable and maybe it’s because they work so hard for so little to support their family. The entertainment staff were great! Roly and the crew had the experience on how to keep the resort lively and upbeat. We noticed one day that Roly was not working and the whole resort felt it. It was so dead! The live band was beautiful to listen to during and after dinner. A couple of times they had professional dancers come on stage and put a beautiful show for us. The kids club was a little neglected, we went to visit the club only to find it closed on many occasions. They did have one day that they visited the Resort next to them where they played games in their pool.

Grounds:

Absolutely beautiful! The gardens are well kept and groomed everyday all day. This is a relatively a medium sized resort with lots of greenery and beautiful mango and coconut trees. The gardeners work very hard and their work at times go unnoticed. So please don’t forget to tip the gardeners.

Beach:

Beach was beautiful with clear blue warm waters and clean white sand and yes full of sea weed. The beach sand was cleaned of the seaweed every morning. It wasn’t until you were in deep in the water would you feel the seaweed beneath your feet! If you are a snorkeler you could appreciate this. The water was shallow which was great for our children. We were not hassled too much by the locals. One local asked us to exchange a hat he was selling for baby clothes or toothpaste and soap. Luckily I had brought extra knowing that they were in need of such items. They are not allowed to harass you too much, this is why the Security Guards are on the beach, they are told to move away within a couple of minutes of their interaction with us. You do feel safe on the beach when the guards are around. We did visit the beach at night where it was well lit but didn’t see any guards therefore, you would swim at your own discretion. We were allowed to use all of the non-motorized equipment on the beach. The paddle-boats were hit with my family.

Food:

I’m not a complainer when it comes to food. Going down I wasn’t expecting five star meal everyday. The food was average and plenty. They had a buffet restaurant that always provided fresh food. Every morning they had an omelet bar and fresh juice bar. Along with that they had a great selection of cheeses, cold cuts, beef, chicken, and fish. Yes, at times it could be repetitive but that’s why they offer A-la-Carte for a change of variety. We didn’t try the A-La-Carte because they were fully booked by the time we decided to go. Therefore, book you’re A-La-Carte at the beginning of your arrival. Drinks were un-limited and had a wonderful coffee bar that served wonderful espresso.

In conclusion it was an average Resort with average accommodations. If you are a picky traveler re-consider this Resort!

We flew down with Sunwing Vacations the week of June 26-July 3. The airline was on time and everything went on schedule. When we arrived in Camaguey at 8:30pm, we gathered our belongings, and boarded our bus, that was awaiting outside the airport. An air-conditioned bus took us to our hotel. We didn’t see much on the bus ride because it was so dark and didn’t seem like there was much to see. About an hour and half ride we arrive at Santa Lucia about 10:00pm. This is where our vacation begins.

Hotel:

There is no need to rush in to check yourself in and ask for a specific room because they had already assigned us to a room. I was quite disappointed the first day because I had e-mailed the Manager Roel way in advance for building 2 second floor with an adjoining room for my kids. Roel responded and promised to deliver. Instead they had given me Building 4 (412/413) first floor, no adjoining room. When I asked to be switched they said, that they didn’t have anything available until the next morning. First thing early morning went to the reception and responded that they still didn’t have anything available until the afternoon. Returned the afternoon and they found us a room on the second floor in Building 1. Unfortunately, by this point my family was settled in and didn’t want to move. Therefore, we stayed in our room which I had to grow to love. The room was out dated but clean, with a king bed. Be-careful coming out of the shower. The tiles when wet were quite slippery which resulted to my fall. Thankfully, no broken bones. Also, keep in mind the electricity voltage is not the same as in Canada, so if you are bringing any kind of straighteners/curlers make sure you bring a converter to not melt your appliances. We had partial Oceanview with scenery of the grounds. It was close to the pool, beach, stage and restaurants. Keep in mind if you do get the first floor be aware of little crabs, and bugs outside your door walking around everywhere. If you open your balcony ants find there way in. We had rain almost every night and one night it rained so much that it flooded the outside hallway. We were lucky it didn’t come into our rooms. Yes, the hotel is outdated and old but they try their best to keep up. Which I appreciated! As for prostitutes at the resort we did notice a few young girls with much older Canadian/Cuban men, but nothing to really alarm yourself with. They seem to only come out at night and most visit the clubs next door or hang out at the bars. Compared to the other Resorts next door we did stay at one of the better ones.

Staff:

The staff in Cuba are polite and friendly if you tip and don’t give them a hard time. They try really hard to please everyone and expect a tip. If you don’t tip some will get upset, and will be cold with you the next day. We saw this first hand! The waiters/waitresses and maids seemed to be well taken care of. It was the Security Guards at the beach and hotel that were neglected. I was approached by one Security Guard that she was not allowed to eat at the resort and asked if I was able to get her a hamburger and a drink, which I didn’t hesitate to do. Some of the staff seemed miserable and maybe it’s because they work so hard for so little to support their family. The entertainment staff were great! Roly and the crew had the experience on how to keep the resort lively and upbeat. was phenomenal!! We noticed one day that Roly was not working and the whole resort felt it. It was so dead! The live band was beautiful to listen to during and after dinner. A couple of times they had professional dancers come on stage and put a beautiful show for us. The kids club was a little neglected, we went to visit the club only to find it closed on many occasions. They did have one day that they visited the Resort next to them where they played games in their pool.

Grounds:

Beach:

Food:

In conclusion it was an average Resort with average accommodations. This was our first trip to Cuba and was expecting much worse. If asked will I re-visit, the answer would be no! Good only one-time. Next time we will be visiting Cayo Coco and Varedaro ! If you are a picky traveler re-consider this Resort!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second level. It rained every night and it flooded the first floor hallway!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gigi7306
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Second time staying here and I have had great experiences both times, much better than Gran Caribe. Sure the beach is not as pristine as Varadero but is fine. Great diving!!!!!!!!!!!!! and snorkelling. The rooms are fine, the actually have good pillows. The food is above average for a Cuba resort !!! The staff really make the resort . Thank you to all cant wait to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank dvr77
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This resort is far from the best in terms of almost everything, but there is one thing it excels at and that is value for money.
I payed around 450$(!) for two persons for a week.

The beach was ok, sure the water has some seaweed problems but the beach is still ok.

Decent food, i am a little picky when it comes to food but i had no problems eating here. I often enjoyed the food and were looking forward to eating. Just on a few occasions i had to resort to pizza and pasta.
The snack bar was good, with good sandwiches.

Good pool and decent rooms, the only issue there was that their aircondition doesn't really get very cold.

Low quality drinks, im sorry but the drinks were bad! Im not expecting high quality drinks like at the finest bars in havana, but this was pretty poor. They also use the mulata rum, which is cheap and bad (imo). I recommend staying with beer and hard to mess up drinks like rumcoke and gin-tonic.

Poor service at the restaurant and the bars could be hit or miss depending on the bartender.

The nightly entertainment was usually just dancing and little interactions with the guest, im used to there being more comedy and guest interactions at other resorts.

The resort area itself was good, i never had a problem finding a free sunbed or a place to sit and the public toilets was ok.

The resort could get boring after the show was done because they usually didn't open the disco at the resort. The offresort clubs are pretty poor and are filled with prostitutes and players.

Still i can almost guarantee that you will have a problem finding anything better at the same price!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravisTouchdown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Santa Lucia
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Casa Particular Miriam Guerra
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca

Been to Brisas Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!