“AMAZING FIRST TIME EXPERIENCE IN CUBA WILL BE BACK TO THIS RESORT FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Brisas Santa Lucia

and 1 more site!
Brisas Santa Lucia
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to Brisas Santa Lucia From Thursday December 29, 2011 to Thursday January 5, 2012

Having never been to Cuba (or south of Florida) before, I didn't have much of an expectation for this vacation. This trip was THE trip of a lifetime! From the time we took off in Toronto in -10 degree weather to when we landed in Camaguey 4 hours later in +25 weather I was excited to experience it all. When we arrived at the resort an hour and a half after getting on the bus (the only minor downfall was the bumpy bus ride to the resort) I was in awe by the look of the resort. The front desk staff were great. Helpful with helping us check in and answering any questions. The bell boy was right on loading up our luggage and showing us to our room with explanation of things as we went by (for example where the buffet restaurant was, or where the bars etc were). Great staff right from the beginning.

We got in our room, dropped our luggage and headed straight for the buffet. Having never been to Cuba before, and being a bit of a picky eater myself, I didn't expect it to be great food. I had heard mixed reviews of the food in Cuba, but really, you don't know till you experience it. And let me tell you this, DO NOT listen to anyone who says the food is S**T it ISN'T!!! I have never had such a great burger in my life!!!!!!!! And it continued that way all week, at both the buffet (with the amazing Spaghetti they have) and the awesome burgers and hotdogs at the Snack Bar over by the beach.

After lunch we headed for the beach to go see just how beautiful it was. And boy was it beautiful! My boyfriend headed straight for the water to see how warm it was and the report was that it was warm! I stayed back and took some pictures as the sun started to set (We didn't arrive at the resort till 130 and went exploring before actually going to the beach after our lunch).

The second day we went to book our excursions - Monday a trolley tour of the town of Santa Lucia (accent over the I in the name) which included a drive by the local school, fire station and police station as well as a shopping trip at one of the other resorts for souvenirs. And on Tuesday we booked the Catamaran tour which included snorkeling at the second largest coral reef in the world!!!

My boyfriend also booked a SCUBA diving trip on Saturday (which was New Years Eve) and had a fantastic time! He went to the Coral Reef and saw a reef shark while down there along with other things. He said it was $30 for the trip and that included equipment rental (good equipment at that). If you aren't internationally certified we did learn that you can do a "Cuba course" at the resort that allows you to dive in Cuba ONLY! I believe this was around $80. You can also do your international open water (for $315) which includes 4 dives and pool instruction, which takes the full week! However, he was internationally certified so he just did the $30 dive. If you wanted to dive more than once it got cheaper as you did more dives. (2 dives for $47 etc). They also have a special that allows you to do 10 dives for $210. He says the next time we visit this resort (because we will be back) he plans to do this. He tried to do a second dive the day before we left but it was cancelled due to weather.

New Years Eve included a gala dinner at the restaurant that was used for the buffet. It was divided at two different times - 6:30 and 8:30 to accommodate families because this is a family friendly resort (something I enjoyed about the resort and kept it exciting). The dinner included: roasted pig, medallion steaks, shrimp stir fry, as well as the pasta bar and some of the other regular buffet foods.

After dinner each night, they had entertainment. This was one of the things we didn't like so much. It was exciting the first couple of nights as something to do when you were just getting use to the resort etc, but by the end of the week we had both agreed, along with others we met, that the entertainment SUCKED! The one good show they did put on however, on December 30th, was Chicago! I thought this was pretty awesome considering they don't have much of an American influence. It was done very well and the costumes (which would have been homemade along with the set) were beautiful! The children's show was great as well, for the first couple nights, but got repetitive after a while and by the end of the week was just pure annoying (guess this is part of a family friendly resort).

When it comes to the weather, it was FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! The first 5 days were BEAUTIFUL! +25-30 daily (sometimes even hotter). Tuesday and Wednesday however were a bit cooler because a cold front had come from up north (Remember when it was -25 in Toronto and the GTA... well that caused a bit cooler weather in Cuba as well, just not quite that cold).

It was so windy on both Tuesday and Wednesday that several excursions were cancelled (including our Catamaran and my boyfriend's diving trip on Wednesday). This didn't damper our trip though.

Out front of the resort was a area that you could rent scooters.($25 for 24 hours or $100 for the week). We had met several people staying at the resort (a lot from Toronto) who had rented these scooters. So my boyfriend decided to rent one on the Wednesday since the diving trip had been cancelled. I had never been on one before so we went together and I am so happy he did it! We went and drove all over the place including this little village about 10kms from the resort (about 45 mins to an hour travel time) with a BEAUTIFUL beach! It's called Coco Beach. Now if you decide to do this be prepared to know that the "path" (I wouldn't call it a road as its dirt) was VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY bumpy!!!!! HUGE potholes and a lot of soft sand that made driving on the scooter interesting but do-able as long as you are sober and smart/paying attention. It is well worth all the bumpiness and potholes the beach is one of the nicest I have ever seen!

The resort did offer internet access (it was slow - like dial up slow) but it worked and allowed us to let family and friends know we arrived safe and to check our flight returning etc. It was $6 for an hour which could be used the whole time you were there.

Overall, neither of us wanted to leave the resort or Cuba. My boyfriend has been to Cayo Coco, Cuba in August of 2010 (Tryp) and says both of the resorts were great - Tryp was better staffed (more staff) but this resort still met all the expectations he had experienced before.

I would HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone who wants to vacation at a cheap price, take some time to relax, wants to meet some great people, be served by some FANTASTIC staff and have a great time.

Hopefully by reading this review you will not pay so close attention to the others that are negative and realize that a lot of effort was put into writing this so that you would see the positives of the resorts and not just the negatives.

Positives -

-Great staff!
-Great beach
-Great food (some may argue but I loved it and well like I said I'm a very picky eater so that has to say something!)
-Great view
-Cheap excursions
-AWESOME Scuba Diving (for cheap)
-Clean rooms
-Clean washrooms (even the public ones on the resort weren't bad despite a couple not having seats)
-Family friendly
-Do their best to meet any needs you require (the resort is wheelchair/stroller friendly)
-Internet access (It only went down once the whole time we were there. It was handy because we were a young couple with parents who I am sure were happy to hear we arrived safe) it was $6 for an hour of internet to be used over the week. This was enough to check our e-mail/facebook a few times and that was it. We were on vacation it was just an added bonus not a requirement .
-Cheap scooter rentals! ($25 for 24 hours or $100 for the week).

Negatives - (Yes I have a few).

-Repetitive entertainment including the kids show
-Mosquitoes (There were a few, just bring bug spray and be smart about it!)
-Sand Fleas (I didn't spend much time on the beach because of this - Just make sure to have a shower AS SOON as you get off the beach and you shouldn't have much a problem!)
-Lines - this couldn't be helped - we went to the resort at one of the busiest times of the year (Christmas Break) so lines are to be expected - I was OK with this but some I know were complaining about it, sometimes waiting for pasta or for breakfast first thing in the more got a bit annoying but that's part of the buffet which from what I hear you will find at any resort!

If you decide to book a trip to Brisas Santa Lucia make sure to book a dinner in the Sea Food Restaurant and let Number 7 know we say Hi!

Don't listen to everyone on here who is negative, THIS RESORT IS WELL WORTH YOUR MONEY AND TIME!!!!!!!

Review written by Brian and Sarah from Mississauga Ontario.

Room Tip: We were in room 415 this had a great view of the ocean when you exited the room but if you aren'...
6 Thank Brian_an_Sarah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Polish first
Nova Scotia ,Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This was my 6th trip to Cuba. Dec. 29 to Jan.05 2012. I won't repeat the same dissapointing comments of other reviews. We went through Nolitours vacations. Everything was terrible ( even the beach was nothing to rave about).At the Nolitour dinner, we were served beer from a 2 litre pop bottle. The same table wine was sold at the store for $2.50 a bottle--that says alot. In our room, we saw a dead cockroach in our toilet--he must have comitted suicide because of the "Jenenes" (sand fleas) biting him --they also took turns biting us. One of the stars from the "Four Stars" sign at the lobby was removed--another unhappy customer?--He should have removed more!!! In 20 years of traveling in the Carribbean, I have never seen as terrible a place!!

Room Tip: 4 out of our 6 rooms at the ground floor level of 300 block had cockroaches
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mayhecobound

Travelers are raving about these Playa Santa Lucia hotels

London, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2012

First time at this resort and Cuba. Recommended based on amount of repeat customers. I say they must only come back for the beaches and entertainment, plus it's cheap.

The 50% Good:
-entertainment staff and daily shows FABULOUS! Tip them, they are the most deserving, fun and loving people working there
-the small groups that serenade at dinner (guitarists, vocalists and violinists) BEAUTIFUL!
-Beach is naturally GORGEOUS! More staff required for seaweed upkeep and general daily cleaning.
-Pool is large and adequate with adult side and child section. Pool bar nice, but a bit of a wait during peak use....more staff required. The pool games with entertainment staff were hilarious and entertaining but a bit too late (adult games started at 5:00pm when we wanted a siesta and a shower) CRAZY GAME TIME with dancing lessons etc.
-Children's activities were generally for kids 8 years old and under and you have to go looking for them throughout the day as they are not generally advertised. Kids' show at 8:30pm every night was good with some hilarious clowns and magic shows etc. An activity board with the time and location of all adult and kids' events would have been very helpful.
-ITALIAN A La Carte was the only great place to eat....great homemade soup, pizza, pasta...we tried to eat there more but it was always booked....They only take reservations for 6:30pm or 8:30pm dining times.
-Horseback riding was GREAT. Nicely kept and healthy horses with helpful guides. Only 10$ pesos per person for 1 hr. We went a 2nd time and got a better deal 6$ pesos for 1 hr and went down to the beach which is generally not allowed. As experienced riders, they take you to the open fields to gallop.
-Coffee Bar makes yummy cappuccinos and espressos, lovely place to sit and enjoy
-Hotel Bar had outdoor furniture for relaxation under a large gazebo, nice place to sit when not full.
-Nice hot water with high water pressure in shower 6 out of 7 days....repair was required one day.
-TIPS usually get you better service and more smiles...El Daisy (maid) and Aliena (server) deserved more because they went above and beyond with limited resources. They really appreciate anything you leave for them, even half used shampoo when you leave.
-The weather-LOVELY! A cold front moved in on day 4 and kicked up some strong cool winds...too cool and windy for the water....our Catamaran and snorkeling trip to Coco Beach was canceled due to this, but that could not be helped...our money was refunded for this excursion.
-Horse and buggy ride $7 pesos per person will take you around the villages in Santa Lucia, locals and employees live here, schools, homes, markets, pizzeria, ice cream factory...great opportunity to give chocolates, toothbrushes, and small gifts to the needy locals.

The 50% Not Good:
Camaguay airport is 1.5 hr shuttle to the resort....pack toilet paper and hand sanitizer in your carry-on as our first experience with Cuban bathrooms was no tissue, toilet seats, flushing or soap. Do not bring American money, Canadian only as Cubans cannot convert it. Amenities on the resort close at 5pm (bank, shops, towel exchange etc) and lunch is only served at the buffet until 2pm, you're forced to eat mystery meat hotdogs, hamburgers, fries or grilled cheese at the 24hr "snack bar" on the beach. I was told the food is not good in Cuba, but I didn't imagine how bad until I experienced it.

Beware at the buffet. This was our first dinner and both my daughter and I got terribly sick our first night and could not keep anything in for 24rs. We slept the first day away. Some say it was the adjustment to the food and water, climate or jetlag...who knows as no one else in our group got sick and ate similar foods. We stuck to purchased bottled water 2$ pesos for 1.5L the rest of the week to be safe. The food was bland and all tasted the same....LONG lineups for breakfast omlettes and lunch and dinner pizza and pasta....but stick to these as they taste the best and were "safe" and I think everyone knew it. Coconut ice cream was the only yummy dessert. The buffet staff were generally not cheerful, the tablecloths are not changed until after the next meal is served so if you are not there at 6:30pm the table will be soiled and the food will be cold. The buffet food sits under regular lights not heat bulbs.
The rooms-YIKES.....small double beds, no queen. Pillows and mattresses are not covered by sanitary protectors, only a sheet and pillowcase. Very uncomfortable mattresses. The air conditioning worked fine, but there was a trick with auto shut off when the door opens; ask your maid how to operate. Only one roll of toilet paper and two bath towels are allowed per room. This was hard and very inconvenient with 4 people especially when we were sick. When you told the staff you were sick they were unsympathetic (maybe it happens too often) and I think they assumed you drank too much even though I didn't have anything and my 11 year old was sick too!
The red wine is cold and poor quality; the options at dinner are red or white wine, beer, water, "sprite" or "coke"....You can purchase specialty bottles of wine or champage for a $fee
A lot of waiting and lines......everywhere....again, more staff required, and the staff did not work with much speed....they were hot, tired and not friendly unless you offered a smile and a kind word....I felt like I was there to make their day instead of the other way around :-(
The beggars and peddlers on the shore line were relentless and bothersome, it made me avoid the beach area some days...they cannot pass a certain "line" on the beach, but will if you call them or imply a sale. I felt bad being rude and ignoring them but if you didn't they wouldn't leave you alone.
The disco is located off-resort only 5 min away, but we couldn't check it out as we had kids.
Stray dogs and cats occasionally wandered by, but did not really bother anyone.

I will not be going to Cuba or this resort again....save a bit more money and head somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Sattymay
Port Elgin, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It was our first time at this resort and we were there from Dec. 27 to Jan. 3. The weather was fantastic but little else lived up to expectations. Two previous trips to Holguin were great and we expected the same great service and accommodations but I would never go back to this location. This was our first time using SunWing and although the inflight service was good the onsite service is not very helpful. The arrival and departure completely lacks organization.

You have to line up for everything, including the currency exchange. The meal lineups were a regular occurrence and there were too many repeat items on the buffet. We don't go to Cuba for the food so our expectations are not too high and we are not hard to please. We tip regardless of the service, because of all the workers involved, but sometimes it was hard to justify. New Years Eve was a nightmare - stampede at the buffet.

The snack bar served until 5:00 p.m. only - hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and fries. I'm not sure which mystery meat was used for the hamburgers but we only ate there once.

We expected the same friendly servers we enjoyed at other locations but there were only a few who didn't appear to have attitude issues. The older man who took care of the towels was amazingly friendly as was one of the girls at the coffee bar.

The room was a disappointment - curtains hanging off window, patio door difficult to close and lock, toilet paper in short supply, 3/4 beds with pathetic mattresses, air conditioning that never went below 24 degrees, etc. The room safe was 2 pesos a day but ours needed batteries before we used it the first time - so we lost the first day because supervisor had to approve next day. It worked for 2 days and then we couldn't open it - batteries again - but had to wait until next day again for supervisor to approve batteries?! The maid service was good until Jan 1 when the staff changed assignments - then sink not cleaned, tub mat not changed, etc. - despite generous tips every day.

I came home with numerous bug bites that are unbelievably itchy. Two days later, I'm still using Benadryl tablets and cream and can't get more than a few hours sleep wthout reapplying the cream. I assumed they were either mosquito bites or other insect bites and not bedbugs as my husband doesn't have any. We only went out in the evening to eat dinner and then headed back to the room so I wasn't sitting outside or walking the beach to get the bites.

The beach is lovely to look at but it's impossible to get a beach chair. However my husband said lots of debris on the beach - lazy guests unfortunately. I was told that some people who used a towel to lay on the beach ended up with a huge number of sand flea bites. Other tourists took the chairs from the pool area to the beach so each day the number of lawn chairs around the pool decreased. By the end of our stay, people who couldn't get lawn chairs around the pool were sitting on chairs from the bar or sitting right on the concrete deck around the pool.

The public washroms had no locks on the doors, some were missing toilet seats and one of them had no door for two days. Hand soap was often out. I guess I shouldn't expect much when the washrooms at the airport (an international airport?!) are in such a terrible state.

We still enjoyed the trip because we spent most of the day by the pool in beautiful weather but this resort needs an overhaul. I haven't given up on Cuba but would never return to this resort.

4 Thank Elaine M
Peterborough, ON
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Check in was quick because we had dinner first then went to check in. Really wish they could do the check in faster (more people?) when buses come in.

Restaurants - as usual, the food is amazing for Cuba, we love the a la cartes and try not to eat at the buffet for supper

Buffet - breakfast...omelletes is the favourite, you won't starve
- lunch...a bit boring quickly, thank goodness for the grill all day

We did go on an excursion, to the Iguana Island...it was fun, weather wasn't the best but we did what we could to make it better :-), be forewarned that you will have to hike a bit in the forest up a mountain.

Our Rooms were great! Adjoining with the couple we went with. Once again no problem with AC or the TV or the beds or anything else. We even had hot water almost every day and they were installing new solar powered water heaters for all of the buildings! Treat your maid right and you will never be without. Just remember that they don't supply shampoo nor hand/face towels.

pool was clean and cool ... the beach was lovely, once again we wish people would not use it as an ashtray ... the ocean was so warm in the afternoon... but note that the seaweed is only cleaned up in the morning so be forewarned. Also, I wear water shoes to avoid stuff in the ocean.

the resort wasn't packed which was very nice for us...plenty of food as usual and the wait staff do a very good job with what they are given

still surprised at the number of vendors on the beach and just off the resort that hinder us a bit from going down the beach but at least the ones that are on the resort beach don't bother you if you say no to them

At least they finally can make a Pina Colada with crushed ice, but only at the lobby bar. Thank goodness I love beer and it was always cold . There is a problem with the lobby bar as there is a definite sewage smell, not sure what is wrong there.

Miguel is our favourite bartender...pool bar...treat him nice and he'll give you his trademark smile.

Coffee bar is always amazing, the ladies there deserve all the tips they get too.

The PR people are always a pleasure to deal with and very respectful of us and we love them for that.

The animation group is fantastic...hats off to the lovely Judy and the crazy Roly. Loved meeting the dancers that take the time to meet the tourists.

The only unfortunate thing was the government had just made a decree that locals could not go to the discos on the resorts...thus, if you wanted to meet locals or go out with the crew you had to go to the gov't run disco off the resort. The good part is the drinks are reasonable and you aren't hassled TOO much...but the locals will ask for money/drinks/etc. But you can go to the onsite disco (go right at 11:30 or so) with a large group and bring your own CDs.

The weather wasn't the best, but it wasn't Canada! Our friends loved it and didn't squawk at the issues that there are there...like lack of variety at the buffet, not enough specialty drinks, or the beds....these 3 things really need to be addressed I believe.

There is a new issue I have never had there before, some kind of bug, either sand mites or bed bugs ate our legs up like crazy and itched for about 2 weeks. That wasn't fun.

And lastly, when will they ever do something about the bathrooms at the airport??? No toilet seats nor toilet paper...yet we pay 25 CUC to get out of the country? Who's pocket is that going into.

Room Tip: block 1 & 2 can get noisy due to the lobby bar, 9 is noisy in the morning...the higher numbered...
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The best part of Brisas were the people. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and the entertainment was consistently good. Don't go for the food. I've heard all food in Cuba is bad, and this is my first time there, so I don't know how Brisas compares. But for me, the Buffet was a disaster. The selection was bad, they had a bad crop this year so a lot of vegetables were canned, and everything was tasteless, but occasionally you'll find something good. When you do, eat a lot of it! Sign up for the A La Carte restaurants as soon as you get there so you have another option besides the buffet. The grill is also a good option for food and is open all day and late into the night--if you like pork burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheeses and fries! The ketchup there is terrible, so bring your own if you can!

The beach is beautiful, and the pool is great with a swim-up bar. The music/speakers are really loud, so let's hope you love latin music and lots of Enrique!

If you leave the resort, take the horse-buggy taxis...they are a lot cheaper, and are a good experience. We went to Coco beach about 8km away, and it was beautiful there. The snorkeling adventure via Noli Tours was also fun. Just don't go when it's windy out because it's hard to swim!

Overall it was a great value, and I had a lot of fun there. The staff really made the trip wonderful, and if you go with good company, you'll have a great time for sure. When you go, make sure to bring lots of used clothing or toiletries to donate...the locals will appreciate it!

Room Tip: Nightly (Loud) entertainment starts at 8:30 and goes until midnight, so If you like to be in bed ear...
3 Thank Feilu
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This place needs an update on it's star review!! Whoever rated this place 3.5 stars needs a new day job! My family and I packed our bags for this dump for the holidays and to ring in the new year; we just got back yesterday....thank god we brought our own booze so we can forget the cockroaches we would find on our rooms, yes, cockroaches in a 3.5 star -- we weren't the only guests that found them either! The food is bad not to mention how you have to wait up to an hour to get food in those ridiculous line-ups at the buffet, the customer service is terrible and the hotel itself is so run down you would smell mold in your room -- the locals continuously harass you on the beach. This place is suppose to be all inclusive and yet everything closes at 5:00! Seriously?! I'm an avid traveler and I can confidently say that this was by far the worst experience....when we booked to go snorkeling, they come and tell us the boat is broken and there's nothing they can do for us...when there was no electricity in my room (no a.c, light, etc) I had to practically yell at the front desk because no one was coming to fix it....when we ran out of toilet paper, the maid ''forgot'' to put more...and the list goes on to where at one point we had to just laugh at it or we'd end up being so sour it would have ruined our vacation...if you have low standards then you'll be able to overlook it and just enjoy the beach (the water is gorgeous...apparently so is the snorkeling but I'll never know...) BUT if all the above is important to you, please don't make the same mistake; dish out a couple more hundred dollars and go somewhere else other than cuba!
I will be writing a letter complaining to my travel agent so no one else has to waste their money....

Room Tip: block one to three are the more descent ones...although I still found cockroaches so I can't ima...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
Hotel Bella Costa
Hotel Bella Costa
#25 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Brisas Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!