“Good Value for what you pay for!!!”

Gran Club Santa Lucia
KEARLE
“Good Value for what you pay for!!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Gran Club is a nice resort for the amount of money you are going to pay. It's does need a little tlc around the resort however the resort is clean and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and go above and beyond the call of duty. I've been to Gran Club a couple of times and enjoy my stay everytime. This time I was there to celebrate my 30th birthday with some girlfriends!! and hoping to go back in January!!

All and all you get what you pay for if you need to get away for a break from the hustle and bustle then this would be a nice resort to consider...in the slower season the staff is reduced and not everything is open but in the high season all the bars, resturants are open and fully staffed!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
YurinaOtero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gran Club Santa Lucia, responded to this review, March 23, 2016
Dear Friend
We do appreciate your comments. We apologize for the inconveniencies.
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Polish first
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We just came from Santa Lucia two days ago. We were first time in Cuba. Lots of pros and cons. First the pros: the room was always clean, a/c too loud, but ok. The night entertainment very good for kids, a special thanks to Froggy, a real entertainer. Actually all entertainers were ok, tring to make feel good. Personnel was polite and friendly, sometimes waiting for the tip. Now the cons: food was almost the same the whole week, with small exceptions(it's good if you like the fish, there was plenty). The a la carte restaurants were serving the same food like the buffet, so don't bother to reserve. Lots of prostirtutes with old guys all around, some of them very nasty, so be aware. The bar was serving only rum and beer, very rare whisky and vodka or something else. Lots of beegers on the beach, most of them fakers, so be aware as well to whom you give money or something else. If you really want to help somebody take a trip to the near village and you will find real poor people.Beach was ok, could be little cleaner. Overall, I would not recommend it to somebody else, but if you are satisfied with little, it's ok.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Dear Friend
We do appreciate your comments. We apologize for the inconveniencies.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Pros: The food was always good. A variety of fresh fish is thats your thing. Lots of other good food if not. Swim up bar was great. Lobby bar made great iced coffee drinks. New towels and sheets everyday. Beach was always clean. We had the lobster upgrade at the a la carte and it was great.
Cons:
- The resort is in the middle of nowhere. So long transfer from airport.
-Beech was windy most days so pool was crowded but always had a chair. We were told after returning home that this side of the island was windy and this was typical
-Our room was near the adjacent resort s disco and it was very loud. Had trouble sleeping the first couple nights. We asked to be moved but the resort was full. With 2 nights left we were told we could move to a quieter place but by then we were used to the disco and did not bother to switch rooms.

We went on the local trip to the local school so you can bring things for children if you like

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Repentigny, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I was a little unsure about my trip after reading the reviews... Sure the food could be better, but it's Cuba; it's expected. My fridge wasn't working at first, I told them and someone came to fix it right away. I had a huge junior suite. There is a lot of prostitution going on but it didn't bother me because what people do there is their own business. Try the Cuban reataurant a la carte. It's was pretty good.
This place turned out to be one of the best trip ever. I was travelling alone and met great people. The animation people are just fantastic. Froggy is such a clown. Mike, Pluto and Junior always made sure people were having a good time. They made my trip so much more than just sit in the sun. I went out every night with other canadians and had a blast. Dance with the animation staff at the club they'll teach you all kind of moves.
If you're looking for a place to just sit and tan; it might not be that place for you but if you're looking for fun just spend time with the animation staff and you'll have a blast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Paris, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Having read the reviews ahead of time, it's was as always with wonder if i had made a mistake. It turned out to be one of the best trips to Cuba I have had and I've been to Cuba some 7 times. The resort was very nice from the rooms to the staff. The food like all resorts can be a little bland at times but there is always something to meet my needs. Met many fellow Canadians and had a blast. Kirk from Coburg, Rocky and Joe from Thunderbay. I wouldn't suggest the resort for your children unless they are under the age of 5, many older men walking around with young Cuban girls. The disco next door at the Brisas was great, helped me refine my salsa dancing. One peso to get in an a peso a beer. I stayed at the Brisas next door 5 years ago, it's a tossup which is better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I did not find the hotel as bad as some reviews are describing it but I here you go what I found annoying:
- there were many Cuban couples, especially during the week-end, making out in the children pool. At some point I asked a couple to go to the bigger pool as my children were playing in that pool but they ignored us. Anyway, nothing much to do for the children.
-the beach was always dirty and full of sea grass. I could see that at Brisas (the next hotel) they were cleaning the beach every day.
-the mosquitoes were terrible all day long. I understand that I was there at the end of the rainy season but I assume that inside the hotel they could have done more like placing a mosquito net at the bathroom window which was always opened and some repellents around the pool and the bar.
- the room was big, clean and tidy but the mattresses were terrible, they were out of there life time for a long time. Even now I feel the back pain.
- The food was OK but always the same. I consider this a minor issue, it did not bother me too much.
From what I saw and heard the Brisas hotel is a better choice.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Monica155019
Ontario Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I always love this hotel. It is home away from home, but I must say this time I was truly disappointed in my stay there. The hotel was very low on guests so getting a chair at the pool was no problem.

The problems this time was with the meals and the beer. The meals were the same everyday and got really boring as they were basic beef, rice and pasta. Only two days did we even see a red tomato there. As there were not many guest at the hotel, you never knew where you were having your lunch or your supper. They NEVER posted signs or mentioned it during the day that meals were going to be somewhere else, so you headed down to the supper buffet to find it closed and no notice...we had walked back to the pool bar to ask if they knew where supper was and they said in the Mexican Restaurant. Well the food is there was cold and the two times they had it there they ran out of food while people just stood there and waited. There was a bus load of new people who came in time for supper that night also and they never got any food for over 20 minutes and it was cold. They were cooking it in the main restaurant and bringing it over on carts to the other restaurant and it was cold by the time it got there.
One afternoon the restaurant was closed again for lunch, no one knew again where it was but we did see people in the Cuban restaurant and yes that is where it was, but no notice again to the guest that they had moved it.
There was no activities at the pool at all, the only thing they did do was dance to the club song around the pool, then they were gone, never to be seen for the rest of the day.
They didn't even do the pool exercises which i like to do everyday.
Also the night before we left they ran out of beer in the evening at the pool bar, and that is the only bar that was opened at night. Because there wasn't enough guest they didn't open the lobby bar at all.

Entertainment at night was just ok. We have been going to this hotel for many years and they have NOT CHANGED anything for years, its been the same old show and many were disappointed over seeing the same thing year after year, as they get many returning guest you would think they would add something new every year!!

I would still recommend this hotel, but I would recommend NOT GOING IN OCTOBER!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca
Memories Jibacoa
Memories Jibacoa
#1 of 3 in Jibacoa

Been to Gran Club Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!