This was our first time to Cuba. Santa Lucia is a small village with 4 hotels. It is a quiet location. There are not many beach vendors, people begging for money, or many souvenir shops.
Do not stay in the Standard Rooms. They are on the far side of the hotel lot (across the drive from the lobby - far from the beach). The room was clean though and we slept fine every night.
The food was good. This was the first time that we did not get sick from the food while traveling. There was not a lot of variety of food. Lunch and Dinner buffet seemed to be the same. The a la carte restaurants were very good - and a nice break from the buffet. Tip your waiter/ess at the buffet and you will get wonderful service (reserved tables, drinks quickly) - just 1 or 2 peso.
The snack bar was hit and miss. They served hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, and fruit. Some days they would only have fries and fruit. They tended to close down before they should have.
The coffee bar was fantastic!! Loved the Coffee with Milk.
The beach was great. Nice sand, plenty of loungers available, and lots of huts or trees for shade. It isn't the greatest place for swimming in the ocean. There is lots of seaweed and sea urchins all over the place so you had to be careful walking out to the sandy sections. The water colour was beautiful and the water was fairly warm.
The snorkeling was fabulous. I highly recommend the Playa Bonita tour. It is great snorkeling and a wonderful afternoon spent on a heavenly beach. The Coral Tour was great as well - a good opportunity to go our for a couple hours and snorkel. You can snorkel from the hotel, though you tend to see mostly shells, starfish, and the occasional fish.
Take a taxi to Coco Beach. It is 7 peso each way, and a 10-20 min. drive. It is a nice area to see a small town, some people selling souvenirs from their homes, and a great restaurant. When you go make sure that you reserve your taxi to come back and get you, or make a deal that they will only get paid when you get back to your hotel - we got stuck there for 2 hours longer than we wanted to because our taxi didn't come and get us.
The only part of the hotel that I did not enjoy was the number of dogs and cats that were running around - strays from the village. From reading other reviews and people mentioning prostitute, there are some there. It was typically a young Cuban companion for an older man. There were a couple of older women that had young male companions. It was noticeable, as adults you know was is going on, though it was not awful.
Overall, it was a fabulous trip! Great location for a quiet getaway, good food, and friendly staff with good service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This all-inclusive hotel is located right on Santa Lucia Beach, Camaguey Province, Cuba, just a few feet from the coral reef. Its well kept tropical gardens, professional and friendly staff, make this resort the perfect vacation choice for families, couples and honeymooners. Accommodation 252 air conditioned rooms: 12 coral suites, 8 superior junior suites, 86 junior suites & 2 junior suites with special facilities for guests with disabilities and 144 standard rooms. Every room has private bath, mini - fridge, telephone, satellite TV, hair dryer, 110V & 220V. Each junior suite has a living room and balcony or terrace. Included Services For food and beverage services there is a buffet restaurant, specialized in international cuisine; three "A la Carte" restaurants specialized in Cuban, Italian and seafood cuisine. There are 5 bars: lobby bar, beach bar, pool bar, coffee bar and a discotheque. A snack bar is available. The hotel has a swimming pool with separate area for children; day and night entertainment with shows and live music; Mini club with varied daily and night activities for children from 4 to 12 years old. Dance lessons, Spanish lessons, table games, billiard, ping pong, bicycles, non motorized water sports and tennis courts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Gran Club Santa Lucia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Club Santa Lucia Hotel Playa Santa Lucia
- Gran Hotel Camaguey
- Gran Hotel Santa Lucia
- Santa Lucia Camaguey
- Gran Club Santa Lucia Playa Santa Lucia, Cuba - Camaguey Province