“Gran Club was Grand”

Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Gran Club was Grand”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My wife and I travelled to Cuba for the first time Dec -06-13th 2011 . Gran Club Santa Lucia, was the all inclusive resort we chose to stay.
We loved the experience, the staff were very attentive to our needs, the food was good, (I stayed away from the pork) and we loved the clean and very safe environment.
We made many new friends with the staff, Manuel the gardner, Joel the bartender and of course Pluto the entertainer.
For a real adventure we travelled to Las 80 town prounounced Los ochenta
The people have very little in the way of soap, and the things we take for granted.
However they are very big on hospitality.
When staying at Gran Club walk out to the main gate and ask any of the bike taxi for Daniel
the bike taxi driver. For $5.00 CUC you get an English speaking tour guide and a wonderful ride. Also he is available for personal tours to assist you.
For $10.00 CUC a complete and comprehensive tour is available, just speak to him.
Tell him you read the review from John & Cathy.
This man struggles to raise a growing family and extended family.
Also Alex is another Taxi Bike driver who speaks great English and will be more than helpful in conducting a great tour.
When I read the reviews about how this club does not look after people I just wonder in amazement. We were very well looked after and look forward to going again someday.
We loved it....

Room Tip: The Junior suite was awesome. Plenty of space and the washrooms always had hot water.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank JOHN1956_05
YurinaOtero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club), responded to this review, March 23, 2016
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Polish first
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I just got home from Gran Club December 16,2011. My second time to the same resort, the only thing I can complain about is the weather we had more rain than when I went in February and that is not the resorts fault lol. If you are going on a vacation to relax and enjoy the culture of a different country then this is the place to go. We met a horse and buggy driver at the front of the hotel and he took 5 of us around Santa Lucia for only 20 pecos. You can really see how the cubans live ...amazing.... The hotel entertainment staff are wonderful.Thank you to Julio, Junior, Bon bon, Pluto, George, Daniella and the rest of the staff. They have many activities for all kids included, there is ring toss. darts, salsa lessons,and a mini kids club. I am also tired as someone said about people on here talking about the cuban food. Yes it is not the greatest but you will not starve. What I will say is that some CANADIAN men are very rude, they go to the buffet and but in front of the line, why do they think they should be first? We paid the same as they did.I will be going back in February for my third time, I cant wait

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite much more value for your money
3 Thank Lori C
Reviewed December 13, 2011

So this was the first place I ever went in the carribean. I payed like $600 with tax. The beach was nice, a bit rockey to get into but minor issue. The beds were so comfy and rooms clean. Staff was awesome. It has a smaller pool but big enough to enjoy and a swim up bar! What more do u need. Food was ok I didn't starve. Kinda helps u not over eat is how I look at it. The entertainment was in both Spanish and Italian so not great got an English person. Lots of Italians and about 30 canadiens. No americans. The disco you have to pay to get in but if you want to party it's people from all the neighbor resorts and staff. Again for the money it was worth it. On a budget maybe with a family a great place.

• Stayed January 2011
6 Thank ScarStar
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I'm a SWF 30+ travelled with my 60+ mother & daughters 4 & 14. The resort was modelled to be a "family resort". To our surprise it was definitely more of a male dominant resort. Case in point, we met many SWM that visit this resort often. Some had gone 6-11 times a year. Living on a planet with 7 billion people and thousands of places to visit.....WHY choose to come back to the same place so many times. Unfortunately in my humble opinion I believe the prostitution by the local cuban women lure a huge incentive to these individuals. To sum it up it's all about how you carry yourself. We stayed out of this scene. Went to bed early and didn't get mixed in this nonsense. Hello fella's ever heard of DISEASE!!!

This resort should place great importance on keeping the resort as a safe & classy establishment.
To avoid further tainted reputation. Keep the locals & prostitutes off the resort. If men are willing to pay for sex, then they will be willing to pay for it off the property. This will increase the public perception and gain a better reputation for true tourist vacationers. This resort is cuban run, if they are attracting tourists worldwide, they need to keep the local vacationers / prostitutes off the property as much as possible.

It's not all bad: The NICE things about this place:

-The room was nice, especially for a family sized group.
-I was happy with the mini club it ran 10-12:30 / 3:00-5:00 & Kids Dance 9 - 9:15
-Awesome Entertainment Staff "Junior, Julio, Bon Bon & Jorge the cutie pie" They made our day everyday!!!
-The ranch trip was AMAZING a must do!!!

The FOOD was a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

BREAKFAST: NEEDS - FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE
NEEDS- PEANUT BUTTER
NEEDS- JAM

LUNCH: NEEDS - JUICE TO BE SERVED
NEEDS- MORE LUNCH ITEMS LESS DINNER ITEMS

DINNER: NEEDS - JUICE TO BE SERVED
WAS LEFT OVER LUNCH - NEEDS TO HAVE DINNER ITEMS NOT LEFTOVER LUNCH

A LA CARTE - WAS LEFTOVER BUFFET FOOD - We walked out & that has NEVER happened before!

WATER: The resort should charge the guests a $5 fee upon arrival for 5 large bottles of water to be in the room fridge. WTF is the point of having an empty fridge for the guest to arrive to???!!! It promotes healthy visitors.

THE BEACH - Is filthy with an overabundance of mounds of "SEE" weed from the ocean!!!

FRONT DESK: Very unfriendly - simply put.

I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND this resort for families.
I will NOT be going back & we're pretty easy going considering our heritage is of caribbean decent.

I RECOMMEND THIS RESORT FOR SWM 45+ LOOKING TO GET DRUNK AND LAID BY LOCAL CUBAN PROSTITUTES AT THE COMMERCIAL CENTER.

THIS RESORT COULD HAVE POTENTIAL - OBVIOUSLY IT'S POORLY RUN.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool!
8 Thank PaulaDNoir
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I was very sick by the end along with some others who we had met. There was never any water therefore we had to go to the commercial store. Hookers were all over the resort. Sunwing failed to tell us the Kids Club is not really a "Kids Club" anymore. The entertainment staff spent more time trying to pick up single women from Toronto and Montreal.
The Buffet smells like a bathroom. The coffee bar worker looks like she may have a case of Pink Eye not yet treated.
The people and other vacationers were really good but allot of single men go to this resort for prostitution. I was at Gran Club a year ago and went back for the Kids Club and found its falling apart. I will NEVER go back to Gran Club. I have bites all over and will be in emergency for the day tomorrow because I am so SICK!!

Room Tip: Get the Junior Suite the hotel rooms are for the old men with the 15 year old prostitutes.
3 Thank Liz B
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2011

my husband and i recently travelled to this part of cuba boy were we surprised resort was the same as others only one exception we experience horrible food veggies were rotten same things served for lunch and dinner ala cartes were not what we have been used to in other resorts in cuba i also researched trip advisor prior to booking and thought it was just people not used to travelling to cuba only i had travelled to two other resorts in different parts of cuba and i would honestly say i will not be returning to this part in camaguey even if the price was low as we have always paid the same amount each time and was extremely disappointed here rooms were amazing we upgraded to coral suite for free but let me say this we also attended the playa bonita excursion and as we were walking the beach we found garbage piled also dirty needle and broken bottles FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY WE WOULD TELL YOU GO TO VERADERO OR CAYO COCO YOU WOULD ENJOY IT MORE AS THEY ARE MORE DEVELOPED THIS IS JUST MY ADVICE BUT TRUELY BE AWARE IF YOU PLAN ON GOING HERE UNLESS THEY CHANGE THE FOOD SERVICE DEFINETLY NOT A 3 1/2 STAR RESORT MORE LIKE 2

Room Tip: if you choose to go here upgrade to the coral suites they are beautiful ocean view rooms and place a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

So I have traveled the US, Dominican and Cuba. I have dear friends from Jamaica, Barbados, St. Lucia and still chose to return to Santa Lucia for a second time this past November only to return for my third time in February, 2012....

My 1st trip to Santa Lucia was April 2011, staying at Club Amigo Caracol...another great resort. This time, I decided to try the resort next door - Gran Club and was yet again, pleasantly surprised. I thought that April's trip had been my best vacation to date but my stay at Gran Club was a week I will never forget. So much so that I will be returning in February 2012 and think that this may just be the beginning.

Ok...now for the details me as a traveler would like to know...

I upgraded to Jr. Suite upon booking, as per so many "tips" and I really believe it's the best way to go. The room was big and I wasn't even in one of the (Jr. Suite) beach huts but on a 2nd floor Jr. Suite, of a 4-plex, it was great. 2 double beds, a sofa bed that also had a pull out mattress. Bug free, AC worked the entire time, hot hot water always available and 2 of us were showering some mornings and every evening, the only occasional issue was the toilet. It didn't always work 100% but if you couldn't figure it out the maid would fix it each day when cleaning your room. So no real issue. It was regular voltage so all hairdryers and straightener's work, no problem, there was a hair dryer provided in the bathroom. I never used it...but my friend did, so it did work. Take all shampoos, soaps you need. I have had those things provided at hotels in the past and honestly, you really would prefer your own anyways, so why complain about something so small??

Beach: The beach here is great. Yes, there is some seaweed each morning, that someone does clear away with a tractor throughout the day but it's the ocean, the sun, the warm breeze and no work...how could you go wrong?! Water shoes aren't necessary at all but I myself would just swim across any really grassy parts in the water, to be safe of coral or urchins (not that I heard any stories while there). Haven't seen anyone have any issues in my two times visiting. Honestly, it's not Holguin in terms of beachfront but it exceeds it in hotel staff and people, by far!

Pool: We generally hit the pool every afternoon. It was great, never too busy and the temperature and cleanliness of the pool was perfect. Lots of chairs and umbrellas available. We often stayed in for hours until dark, splashing around, hitting the bar and having a great time before heading back to our room to get ready for dinner. Friends of ours, staying at Brisas, next door, at the same time loved our pool too.

Admittedly the food was not great but I always found something to eat to the point that nearing the end of the week, we were heading to our next meal and I wasn't even hungry yet. My last night at the resort the location of the buffet was moved to a much larger area. I think that perhaps I was still visiting in the quiet season and hence the reason for the very limited and small buffet during the beginning of my stay. Snack bar food was completely sufficient if you didn't make breakfast hours and perfect after MarVerde, the local club. FYI, only juice is served at this snack bar.

Evening shows are good. I went every night. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say the shows aren't appropriate for children. I mean, there really was nothing over the top or that a child would even comprehend. I saw plenty of children at most shows, enjoying the time with their families and loving the music! The entertainment was great...staff were enthusiastic and engaging, not to mention talented. A great start to your evening, following dinner and preceding MarVerde (if that's your desire).

Remember, you're there to get away from work, from routine, all of life's sometimes overwhelming responsibilities and to just enjoy you, your friends, your family, whomever you may be travelling with. Stay positive and enjoy your surroundings. Don't forget that everyone is there to enjoy themselves. Everyone here keeps to themselves and the atmosphere is just so relaxed and enjoyable. Take it all in...for all Gran Club and Santa Lucia has to offer. R E L A X .

I truly believe the staff and tourists for that matter are what make the vacation. As I said in the beginning, I've been to numerous places but this is the one place I have returned and will continue to return to, the energy is great, the atmosphere has everything you need, relaxation and fun. It's a smaller resort in paradise.

February can't come soon enough!

Room Tip: Go to Coco Beach, buy a bottle of run from the bar and finish your day with a lobster dinner!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
#3 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)? Share your experiences!