“Had a great time, and looking forward to my next stay”

Club Amigo Mayanabo
Winnipeg, Canada
“Had a great time, and looking forward to my next stay”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I'm not going to bore you with every fine detail, but i will say this.

If you are looking for 5 star luxury then look somewhere else, and by that i mean another country. This is a 3 star resort and the price reflects that. If you're looking for a dirt cheap vacation, and don't plan on staying in your room the entire time you're there, and you're looking to have a great time in the sun with fantastic friendly hotel staff and guests, then you can't get a better bang for your buck than here!

We stayed at Mayanabo from March 2 to 9th, and I have to say it was far better than I expected, in all aspects. I was a bit leary at first after reading alot of the bad reviews here, but i needed to get away somewhere without breaking the bank so i bit the bullet and went. I am so glad i didn't let the reviews here persuade me not to go to this resort.
The food was okay, I always found enough to fill me up for each meal. The bar staff was always cheery, there was always somebody cleaning somewhere throughout the day.
Yes there are old men with their cuban escorts and you could pick them out of a thousand people even if you were blind, it was so obvious, but they keep to themselves. I wasn't bothered by it at all. I did get woken up a couple times at 3:30 in the morning from the loud music down the street at the nightclubs, but hey I was on vacation as well as everyone that was at that nightclub enjoying themselves! so i chalked it up to just that.

The rooms are passable at best, but we only used our room to sleep and change, the rest of our time was spent outside enjoying the sun and the friendly people around us.

I highly recommend the Crocodile Tour. You get to hold a real live croc and have someone take your picture doing so. It was a great experience and more than worth the money.
We also went on the Camaguey last day tour, which i would also recommend. But beware of the beggars approaching you asking for handouts.

Bottom line, yes I would go back in a heartbeat, and am already in the process of planning my next visit to Mayanabo.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank waynesherk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
Midland, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2011

So you don't have a lot of money and want to take a tropical vacation, Club Amigo Mayanabo is a great option.

The rooms aren't great, by any means, but the beds were clean, the shower worked and the toilet flushed - That's all you really need on a tropical vacation isn't it? I suppose if it rained all week and you were forced to stay indoors, you'll have a miserable time, otherwise, bueno!

There are plenty of great excursions, GO TO YOUR ORIENTATION WITH YOUR AGENT to get the skinny on what & when, decide early and book them, because they fill up fast.
We went on on:
The Crocodile Farm Tour, it was excellent.
Train Tour to Santa Lucia - you get to visit a primary school, tour the town and visit the commercial center.
The Coral Tour (short one), Awesome
Trip to Camaguay - Very Cool -
We took the LAST NIGHT Tour, and we stayed at a small hotel with excellent food and we were able to sleep in and have breakfast, as opposed to the rest of our group who had to be on the bus to the airport before the buffet was open. Also there was a Vegas style Caberet Show.
There are relatively affluent Cubans, but be prepared to see, .what to us is 3rd world conditions, Cuba has a shortage of everything, from children's clothes, to pipes to fix the plumbing to have running water in their homes and money, the only industry right now is tourism. They make the best with what they have, and are a proud, friendly people, and ingenous! Do you know anyone who can keep a 55 year old car running with no spare parts? If there's a Cuban Mechanic in your town - hire him!

Other excursions are:
All day Coral tour (the largest coral reef in the western hemisphere is right there), you also visit Nuevitas where the Flamingos are.
Horseback Riding on the beach and through the town
Lots of water sports: Kyaking, paddleboats, Snorkeling
There is also Parasailing, catamaran trips and deep sea fishing, for which there is a fee
We went snorkeling right off the beach and seen plenty of fish and found shells and starfish (with the mollusk still in them), the Cubans on the Beach are happy to clean them for you.

Theservice was adequate and the food pretty good for Cuba, though it does get repetitive, but there's nothing to stop you from sampling the fare of one of the three neighboring resorts.

The pool is the largest of the 4 resorts and the least crowed, however it's the only one without a swim up bar and there are plenty of areas to lie in the sun or the shade!

The shows each night get old pretty fast, but again there's nothing to stop you from checking out the shows at one of the other resorts.
It's loud in the rooms during shows (until 11 PM) - but you shoud be at a show anyway!

The bar closes at 11 PM and the Disco at 2 AM, but ther are several clubs along the strip that are open until 5 AM!

And YES, there are older men with young Cuban escorts, like any Cuban resort! They're just more noticable because its's a smaller resort. Many on this site express indignation over this, but we think they need to lighten up. we personally witnessed a negotiation session and the girl turned down the prospective fellow (who we spotted later with a different escort), so obviously there is a choice for the girls
They mind their own business and the reality is that the relationship that these men and young women have, is to their mutual benefit. These lonely men receive the benefit of female companionship and these women (many are educated and speak more than 2 languages) get a vacation from poverty for their time there and their families receive much needed money.

It may interest you to know that post-seconday education in Cuba is free. Most of the resort employees have a university education and most speak English. Your maid may have more education than yourself.

In summation, you are not going to get a better value for your tropical vacation.
DO IT!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank chrissydoran
Reviewed March 3, 2011

The staff are wonderful at Mayanabo. If you are looking to spend time having fun in Cuba outside of your room, I would definitely recommend this resort. If you want to spend all day in bed and not in the sun, it's not for you. You really are getting what you pay for. If you're expecting a 5 star stay for the price you're paying then you are loco, as the locals will call it.

When I first arrived, I was a little iffy about the rooms. If you are picky then don't bother. But you are never in them if you're planning the proper vacation in Cuba. The food is fine, nothing special, but you should really not be expecting much anywhere in Cuba unless you get off the resort. The staff are totally friendly and as long as you are nice to them they will be even nicer to you.

The staff are wonderful people. If you ever need something to do, go to the pool table and find Victor, Leo or any of the boys who play in Sandunga. Be ready to have fun and dance in front of crowds at the shows -- you will really have a lot of fun with these guys. I will visit again just to see them. Created great friendships and a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank confelicity
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I came to Mayanabo for reading week not expecting much but I was really surprised with the resort. It was clean and the custodial staff were always around cleaning - especially the bathrooms by the pool. The food was decent - always managed to get at least a plateful of food. They have a salad bar with every meal. The staff were awesome - the bar staff were always smiling and would make you practically anything you wanted. The entertainment staff made the week for me. They would come up to you and ask you how you were doing and get to know your names. They became your friends in a way. They were there all day and hosted the evening activities (Leo and Victor were pretty cool!). The beach was really nice and I had access to paddleboats and kayaks. Mayanabo is along the same strip as other resorts so you can go visit those resorts too. The pool was great - always clean and had a volleyball net so you can play whenever you wanted to. Although Mayanabo is known to have old men, they are harmless. They usually stick to themselves and play bocce ball on a pitch that is set up away from the pool. There were some families and a small group of younger adults/university students. The rooms were small but clean. The maids came every day to empty your garbage, make your beds and give you fresh towels. Nothing ever went missing. They were also super nice. None of the staff would ever come up to you for money - but if you did tip, they were very grateful.
My friend and I went with Nolitours and they had a bunch of day trips and perks that we took advantage of. I highly recommend you go on these trips - they were awesome!
We had an awesome time! I would go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank kericanada
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed there for a week with friends, had an amazing time... We'd would like to thank the entertainment staff, and especially the band- Camillo, Oswald, and Manuel!!! We have stayed at this hotel 4 times for the last 4 years... And we miss Virginia... for the last 3 times we were there she made our stay awesome, she's very warm, kind, and always entertain us no matter how tired she was... we were really disappointed that she's no longer works there :( For the management- hopefully we will see her again....(virginia)

The bar-is good but it can use another bartender to get faster service.
The front desk-Very friendly and professional (especially Jamie)
Cleaning ladies- Awesome
DJ-good but the old DJ is better... (Danny)

All in all, we had a great time. But we miss some people who used to work there... Not sure if worth going back without them there...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2011

After reading all the reviews I was a little bit scared as what to expect when we arrived. But in all honesty we had a wonderful time. This was are first trip to the Caribbean so I really can't compare it to anywhere else, but my family had a great holiday, the weather was perfect not a drop of rain. The rooms were small but I have to say the maids kept them spotless and clean every day , not once did I ever see a bug in the room as for hot water we had it everyday I think it depends on when you use it. I did not encounter any rude staff at the hotel, as for old men yes there is some but I did not see them do anything disgusting at any point during our stay . There is entertainment every night which is either dancers or the houseband which are both quite good. The beach in my eyes was beautiful with the turquoise water, some days there is more seaweed on the beach than others , I would recommend to bring water shoes which we did because there are little shells and stuff in the sand.There are excursions offered by the hotel we went snorkeling on the second largest coral reef in the world then to Playa Bonito island for a seafood lunch it was awesome . We also went on a tour to the village and school near by don't be surprised at the poverty. Felt very safe going for walks outside of resort nobody really bothered us at all. There is a small disco at the resort but were usually to tired to go to it. There is also a disco down the street called the Korono that rocks till about 5:00 am if you like the nightlife. As for the food I mean it is not the greatest, large selection all organic when you think of it most people I have talked to that went to Cuba do complain of the food but we just ate what we liked. I don't know what people expect for the little amount of money they payed to stay in a tropical island for a week with all the booze food they can eat. For seven bills out of Winnipeg and five from Toronto , you can't even fly from province to province in Canada for that! Make the best out of your time there and if you want luxury pay more and go to a five star resort. By the way the plugs are the same as ours .

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jen117
montreal
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Do not go to this place!!! dont spend a penny going to this hotel or city!!! trust me!!
food sucks, hotel is very very dirty!!! rooms are extremely ugly!! and if you feel like seeing 70 year old men with 16 year old girls, well....dont have much to say!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Hotel Playa Pesquero
Hotel Playa Pesquero
#1 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,520 reviews

Been to Club Amigo Mayanabo? Share your experiences!