“Beautiful Gjógv”

Ranked #1 of 1 Gjogv B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Beautiful Gjógv”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Gjógv is situated in the highest part of the Faroe Islands, on Northern Eysturoy. It has a surreal atmosphere, and feeling. It is remote, it has tranquility, it has breathtaking views all the way, it has the quaintest harbour, where the boats are pulled out of the water so as to stop them from being battered by the elements.

The first time I was in Gjógv it was in summer, and I was on a guided tour. The tour was in a party of 6 or 8 people from different countries. We had lunch at the Gjáagarður Guesthouse. It was a fish dish and was delicious. We did have an opportunity to wander around the area a little bit. I wandered up at one point and had a look at the little church. Chldren were playing with little boats, in the stream which runs through the village, and in front of the beautiful and quaint houses. The little streets are so small and to wander around here made me a little uncomfortable. These are peoples back yards, and it seems a little rude and intrusive to be here. On the way to the cafe one pases a house where the owners have been busy deorating it with garden gnomes and other quaint structures. it is very beautiful, colourful, and so interesting

I can not speak about the accomodations of the guesthouse, as I did not use them

The second time I came was in winter, and the term 'winter wonderland' is so appropriate. This time I was here with a lovely man who had taken me for a drive into the area.
On the way up it was magical. Snow was everywhere, the area was blanketed, and it was such a wonderful sight, and a real pleasure. The high mountains, in fact the highest peak in the Faroe Islands is very near here. On the way I asked my companion about the sheep, that run all over the road, . I was told it is a crime to hit a sheep, that a fine is applied, and is payed to the farmer who owns the poor sheep. I was amused by this because I had already been told that this was applicable, and a little story told to me, that some believe, behind every sheep knocked by a car there is a farmer encouraging his sheep to run on the road, because as well as the fine, insurance can be claimed. I can not vouch for the authenticity of this story.It was told to me with a broad smile on the face of the story teller.

But this day the drive was wonderful, and eventually we arrived at the guesthouse, where we went in, and ordered 'pancakes' They were served warm with jam and cream, coffee and tea.

There is little shop where souveniers, including faroese jumpers, and knits, can be bought.

The little harbour is so lovely, it has a narrow opening between two cliffs. It is I suppose a gorge, of type, and I was told there are over 90 steps to climb to get to the bottom. If one is energetic, it is a lovely thing to do. However this day I did not, but the first time I was here, I did walk a little way.

This day with the snow everywhere the whole area, so spectacular, It is remote, with mother nature at her very best. Today no children played in the stream, with their little boats, there were no other people in sight, just me an Aussie woman, a lovely Faroese gentleman, and the friendly lady who served us pancakes, and stood talking with us for a bit.

So to describe this place called Gjógv, breathtakingly beautiful, spectacular vistas, remote, quiet, with mother nature at her very best. Just to stand and listen to the sounds of silence is a great honour. But then, this is the Faroe Islands, and this is everyday existance here.

Just remember to breath, every now and then.

Room Tip: NO but I will say this - just go!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Aussiegrannie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 31, 2012

An unmissable place to go if you are travelling for some days in the Faroes.

We stayed in a superior room, which are spacious, nice decorated, with good views, clean, modern.... For us, the best accommodation we had in the Faroes.. the one we paid the highest, too.
Very friendly owner, good breakfast and dinner, very quiet sleep (with opaque curtains, yes!)
Relax & enjoy

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariocc78
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here in September 2010 for one night. Rooms were basic but clean and with a good bathroom. The breakfast was nice as well and you can include dinner if you'd like which basically means potatoes, vegetables and meat or fish, but fill up pretty nicely. It's located within walking distance of everything in Gjogv itself but you'll need a car to explore the surroundings. All in all a great guesthouse.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Lunch at the guest house was included on our private tour organized by 62N during our cruise stop in June, and it was quite a treat. Just a simple sampling of local salads and fish -- we couldn't have wished for more. Kudos to the tour company for organizing the stop here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I really liked staying here. It is the only place in the area but fortunately it's a really good place to stay. Rooms are small, a bit hostel like but adequate (we had a shower) and the food is great. I'm pretty sure everyone in the area stays here so it will probably book up fairly quickly. On one of the nights, there was a Faroese evening which sounded as though it went well for those interested. It did mean doubling the price of an evening meal, so for those of us that weren't interested enough to pay that amount of money, it did leave us with few other options on where to eat but I suppose you either go for these things or you don't and plan something different. I really liked it here though. Stayed 3 nights

Room Tip: You may want to check about shower arrangements as I don't think all are en suite. Rooms aren...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed 2 nights here during our 5 nights in the Faroe Islands. Our room and beds were adequate and comfortable, but the genuine friendliness and knowledge of the staff was the real winner. The village is located in a picturesque part of the Faroes, and we were easily able to explore most of the Faroes by car. We did miss not having access to a tv, as on both evenings when we returned to our room we were in bed early, even though we tried to stay out and about for as long as we could.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randall K
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Gjogv lies at the end of a long (by Faroese standards) road, off the beaten track. However, the journey there is well worth the effort as the property, fabulous as it is, is enhanced with the extraordinary beauty of the village.

Although the population has dwindled to about 40 permanent residents, the community appears alive, clean and stunningly beautiful. The Gjaargardur Guesthouse, while not to be compared to a Hyatt or other five-star properties, is wonderful.

It offers a variety of accommodation options ranging from well-appointed double rooms, to some fascinating "sleeping crannies", designed for school groups, or other less-fussy travellers! The ambience is wonderful, and the host, Erik, a delight and fount of local information.

The Guesthouse is a perfect location to stay and explore the outer islands of the Faroes; while it may seem unusual to need to “get out of town”, visitors to the islands will get a much deeper impression of them by spending a couple of nights in a country hotel, and of these, the Gjaargardur Guesthouse is the best.

For those seeking time to contemplate, walk and simply recharge their worn-out urban batteries, there is no better place; accessible by car or even by the fine local bus system, Gjogv makes a wonderful location to simple “be” and relax.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gjogv
Hotel Foroyar
#3 of 5 in Torshavn
Guesthouse Marknagil
Guesthouse Marknagil
#5 of 5 in Torshavn

Been to Gjaargardur Guesthouse? Share your experiences!