“Beautiful and Romantic”

Book In Advance
More Info
$43.41*
and up
English Heritage Overseas Visitor Pass with Free...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Former retreat for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert (circa 1845) still retains a large collection of the royal couple's possessions, art work and photographs. Also home to the Swiss Cottage for Victoria's children, and the private beach and bathing machine.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you go to the Isle of WIght, you must visit Osborne House. The story of the private and romantic life of Queen Victoria is told sympathetically though this charming building and wonderful gardens. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to answer questions and point out features of interest. Try the cream tea in the restaurant and make sure that you leave enough time to visit Queen Victoria's private beach.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,558)
All reviews
in 49 reviews
"stately home"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been to Osborne House many times over the years, each time I have seen something different. If you go in the out of season time you can have a guide and they have huge amount of information on the house. I have learnt so much from these visits which I have been able to pass on to other members ol my family. This time I took my pre teen and teenage grandchildren. They expected to be bored and there is nothing worse than bored teenagers to take out for the day. Four to almost five hours later I was begging them to leave so we could have something to eat!!! The restaurants are too pricey for a party of six I am afraid. We just needed a sandwich.

The grandchidlren were fascinated by their visit to the house taking in all the floors including the nursery and Queen Victorias private apartments. It was a truly wonderful experience walking around the grand house. As I say I have visited many times and I will continue you to do so in the future. I want to visit this year the beach from which Queen Victoria bathed. I did see it briefly from a cruise ship I was on in the spring which just wetted my appetite for a visit this summer..

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Can't believe the change a few years can make, far more to see and do, what a fabulous day, would love to go back anytime.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The house and the surroundings were beautifully kept with plenty of information about the history of the place without being boring!
Most rooms were kept in the same layout as they were found, including Queen Vic. death bed and the children's play house (swiss cottage)
The grounds are very large however there are regular courtesy buses going to and from the Beach and the Swiss Cottage!
A Delightful day with plenty of places to buy food or room to picnic!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently visited Osborne House and thought it was wonderful. We don't usually visit Castles or Manor Houses or anything like that but this was well worth the visit. The gardens and grounds are lovely. The house is very interesting and what I liked was that it felt like a family home and not a Royal Household. We could just imagine Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their children all living quite normal lives in this lovely house. Well worth a visit if you are on Isle of Wight.