“A Wonderful Resort Hotel”
Review of Uga Ulagalla

Uga Ulagalla
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thirappane
Chelford, uk
“A Wonderful Resort Hotel”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This property is absolutely stunning. The staff are exceptional....warm, kind and friendly but totally professional and competent. The food is delicious. Accommodation luxurious and spacious comprising of individual chalets with outside eating areas and plunge pools. Golf carts are always available to take you around the resort.
The property is conveniently situated for Anuradhapura and Sigiriya.
Would recommend the nature walk.
Wish we had stayed longer than 3 days.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 14, 2013

A bit of a trek however worth every min when you get there...
We spent 3 nights.... had a really great time... the staff were great... really looked after us..
Would defiantly recommend this to anyone looking to get away for a few days surround yourself in nature and get pampered like a king....

No set timing for meals it's all up to you to decide what you want and when you want it...

Lots of birds and animals around the resort... every moment we spotted something new...
Great Place...

Room Tip: Only 20 chalets... all well located...
1 Thank Ali M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and wish it was longer. Every thing was perfect from the amazing accommodation, great food , (5 course dinners of impeccable quality) and the very professional but friendly staff.

Golf carts are used to shuttle you from your private room to the restaurant or main pool which was nice also. The old man who drives you around was so friendly and accommodating. Such a nice guy.

The walking trial around the complex was nice but we ventured outside to the lake and watched local village people going about their daily chores such as bathing and washing the clothes.

It's about 30 minutes to the major attractions but well worth the trip.

The private plunge pool on most rooms is amazing.

Highly recommend!

1 Thank Bnewson
Colombo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Pardon me for going French but I thought it explains my feelings so much better.

Situated in the rural village of Thirappane’ the turn off is just past the 113 KM post on the A9 highway, a few metres past the Thirappane’ police station. The narrow Athungama Road (literally meaning the village of tuskers) is the road leading to this resort. The road was a typical rural road - narrow, rutty, part tarred, part gravel and after about a 3 KM drive you come to this impressive wooden gate. Impressive not because of its size but for the carving on it and the security guards welcome you with their “Ayubowan” with a broad smile, something you don’t associate with security guards.

If the welcome at the gate was impressive the welcome at the hotel was even more impressive. The resident Manager, Neranjan himself welcomed me again with a broad smile. I was required to light a lamp, not to any particular God but to whoever you believe in and I was asked to ring a set of bells by tugging on a cord connected to several bells through levers to announce my arrival to all and sundry within hearing distance, what a welcome.

And with the quaint tradition done with, the welcome drink awaited. A choice of it too of which I chose the herbal tea in the all-natural coconut shell bowl and bamboo straw and needless to say it was utterly refreshing.

Then started the tour round the property. No not in a fossil fuel guzzling vehicle but electrically (battery) driven golf buggy, what an ingenious way to use a golf buggy I thought to myself. Round the property we went, first to see the large bank of solar cells providing more than 50% of their electricity needs and the water harvesting arrangements proving that they don’t pay lip service to being eco-friendly. Next I was shown the paddy land belonging to the resort, replete with its own “kamatha” (threshing flow) and it was a sheet of green gently waving in the soft wind that blew across making the scarecrow wave its clothes to chase away the crows and other birds interested in the paddy.

Not to be limited to the rice paddy of their own they also have within their premises an organic garden that provide a variety of vegetables, fruits and herbs.

If the eco-friendly gardens were impressive, the chalets were even more impressive. With their well-appointed furniture (including a grand four poster bed and inviting sofas), the private plunge pools and balconies that allows a magnificent view, they were a treat which made me determined that I should stay a night or two on a subsequent visit.

To the health conscious visitor, walks from the chalets should be encouraging but for the more active type bicycles are provided while those who feel lazy (like me) can call for the golf buggy. Talking of active visitors, for the sporty types there is archery, horse riding and kayaking. The horses, “Scotch” and “Hutch” from the hotel’s own stable for riding, kayaking in the nearby reservoir and archery in the hotel’s range are easily arranged at your request, though I did not try any of it in my rushed visit.

The bund of one of the reservoirs (weva or tank as it is known in Sri Lanka) was the next spot visited and one of the many sports encouraged at the hotel, kayaking is conducted in this reservoir, known as “Wannam Maduwa Weva”. If my Sinhala is as good as I think it is, Wannam are dances in ritual or traditional dancing and thought to myself that the dancing waters may have inspired the ancient folk in the area to name their water source thus.

Having toured the land I returned to a meal that probably topped it all which completed my day at Ulagalla. About the food, let me put it this way, I enjoyed it so much that when the waiter asked me if I want dessert I told him that I’ve stuffed myself so much that I have no room for dessert.

It was an unbelievably enjoyable visit to a hotel that makes me want to go again and again and compelled me to write about a resort for the first time in my life. I was made to understand that they have two more such resorts, Jungle Beach in Trincomalee and Uga Bay in Pasikuda, Batticaloa and wish I could go there too someday, knowing that they must be as good (or may be somehow, even better).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Algi W
California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just came back from a three week trip to Sri Lanka. We were only at Ulagalla for two days, but it was so serene, peaceful, and relaxing that we were making plans to return by the end of the first day. The chalets are spacious, beautifully decorated, and completely private. the property is pretty wild with lots of wildlife, you rarely see other guests, and the experience is wonderfully rejuvenating. The food was excellent. Can't recommend it highly enough.

1 Thank docdickcalifornia
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The 2 horses from Ulagalla Resort are living night and day in a box on a concrete floor, without any straw, except when tourists are riding them. They never have access to a field to freely run around and graze grass. After observing them closeby, the black horse had injuries at each knee (caused most likely by laying down on concrete to sleep) and the white and black horse had a lot of scars all over his body. After some investigation, we’ve been told that the two young smiling stable hands beat them.

After having complained to the general manager, asking him to provide straw in the stables, to put the horses in a field at least several hours a day and to replace the young boys who beat the horses, he only had a thin layer of sawdust put on the floor.
The manager claimed to be unable to improve the condition of these animals because they are owned and being provided by a company called Premadasa Riding School Sri Lanka which is said to be responsible for the conditions these horses are kept in.

Here are the photos we made in Ulagalla Resort in August 2013.

The idea of an eco-resort like Ulagalla is very appealing to me , but finding these 2 horses in the condition they were in was shocking and unacceptable.

3 Thank Virginie L
Ramli G, Director / Chief Executive Officer at Uga Ulagalla, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Firstly thank you for your comments and we greatly appreciate your input on our Eco concept and our two horses. As you've mentioned we are indeed an ECO friendly retreat and take great care in preserving the environment surrounding the hotel as well as the animals. This is why we take an extra effort to reuse all our bio waste to produce bio gas that light the pathways, the reverse osmosis water management, have an extensive Solar farm, an organic garden among many other strict ECO policies.

It is our ongoing commitment to maintaining an Eco friendly hotel that we value the feedback and suggestions from our guests and we have taken your comments on the horses very seriously. The GM has informed me that the district equine veterinarian visited the property recently and attended to the horses and they are in perfect health now. If you would like to know more about how the horses are doing or any other aspect of the hotel, please contact me on info@ugaescapes.com and I would be happy to give you an update.

We sincerely hope you pay us another visit very soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Ulagalla resort is a eco retreat set in a 58 acre land featuring an old "walawwa" or ancient Sri Lankan family home neighboring the Ulagalla tank. 21 chalets are set among acres and acres of lush forest, paddy field or marsh layouts. The chalet features its own private plunge pool/jacuzzi. The bedroom is separate from a living room which can be used as a private dining room. The room is extraordinarily comfortable and luxurious. The food served is tasteful. Overall the Ulagalla experience is superb and 100% eco friendly.

Room Tip: Chalets are spacious and well set among various environs. Suites closer to the lobby and main pool D...
1 Thank Hotelier8311
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thirappane
Jetwing Vil Uyana
#2 of 15 in Anuradhapura
The Sanctuary At Tissawewa
The Sanctuary At Tissawewa
#6 of 15 in Anuradhapura

Been to Uga Ulagalla? Share your experiences!