The 2 horses from Ulagalla Resort are living night and day in a box on a concrete floor, without any straw, except when tourists are riding them. They never have access to a field to freely run around and graze grass. After observing them closeby, the black horse had injuries at each knee (caused most likely by laying down on concrete to sleep) and the white and black horse had a lot of scars all over his body. After some investigation, we’ve been told that the two young smiling stable hands beat them.
After having complained to the general manager, asking him to provide straw in the stables, to put the horses in a field at least several hours a day and to replace the young boys who beat the horses, he only had a thin layer of sawdust put on the floor.
The manager claimed to be unable to improve the condition of these animals because they are owned and being provided by a company called Premadasa Riding School Sri Lanka which is said to be responsible for the conditions these horses are kept in.
Here are the photos we made in Ulagalla Resort in August 2013.
The idea of an eco-resort like Ulagalla is very appealing to me , but finding these 2 horses in the condition they were in was shocking and unacceptable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury boutique hotel and spa located in Anuradhapura, North Central of Sri Lanka. Built on 58 lush acres bordering two ancient reservoirs, surrounded by unspoilt nature and tucked away in complete privacy, the resort offers 20 spacious and luxurious chalets, 19 stand alone chalets and one suite, each with its own private plunge pool with all modern amenities. Ulagalla Resort is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and a passion for wildlife. But we understand that great adventures are also about elegant simplicity – to return to a cool dip in the pool, rejuvenate in the spa or sip a sundowner on a private deck.Located at the center of the Cultural Triangle and close to national parks, Ulagalla is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and passion for wildlife. The resort offers many excursions and guided tours: A cycling tour can be taken to explore the ancient capital of Anuradhapura in a novel way. Exciting wildlife safaris to the plains of Minneriya National Park to watch the elephants or further West to Wilpattu National Park – the realm of leopards - are organized with all the necessary permits.Witness the wonder of Kalawewa – a giant reservoir and a proud feat of engineering of an ancient kingdom, or visit the ancient ruins of Ritigala. Explore the marvels of Sigiriya, Dambulla, Polonnaruwa and other sites of archaeological and historical significance on a day trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Uga Ulagalla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ulagalla Hotel Thirappane
- Uga Ulagalla Sri Lanka/Thirappane