The Website for the hotel does not do it justice, it is an incredible location and experience. You stay in a beautiful spacious ‘architecture’s dream’ chalet with large living / dining room, bedroom for 4 poster bed and large, luxury bathroom. Each chalet has an individual plunge pool with a terrace. The chalets are arranged around a paddy field, this does mean to get to your accommodation from the central reception / restaurant area requires a golf buggy or there are bikes available at each chalet for the same. Apart from chalets 1-4 that are close to the main area, you will need to use the golf buggy or the bikes, it is a fair way. However the golf buggies turn up promptly when call and the seclusion is excellent. The lighting in the chalets could be deemed as rather too clever for its own good, yes, it is centrally controlled from a touch screen in the bedroom, but contrary to some of the other reviews there are also override buttons in the living room and bathroom, so you can control it in these other rooms. The WIFI available both in the rooms and reception is superb, very fast and a real surprise for such a remote location - sufficient for video conference to show people back home your amazing chalet! There were also video on demand options which we didn’t have time to investigate.
The main area with the restaurant and bar is well looked after and the pool is beautiful (large and clean), however we did not see anyone using the pool during our stay probably due to the distance from the chalets or the fact that everyone has individual plunge pools.
Room service options are extensive and you can also order breakfast, lunch or dinner to be served in your own chalet. We did this on our first evening when we were really tired and it was a lovely treat.
Meals have no fixed times - the mantra is you can eat when you are hungry. It is most refreshing not having to fit in with someone else’s timings!
Staff were very attentive and it is a very professionally run location. We left wishing we had booked to stay longer. Make sure you leave some time to explore the grounds and chill to appreciate the beautiful setting.
The hotel has some horses on site for horse riding, we took the opportunity to take them out for an hour (cost £50 for the two of us), the horse are very well looked after. The guide cycles ahead and there is a route through to the local village along a reservoir which is pleasant to take.
I am sure that most of the guests were on Half Board, we weren’t and the A La Carte was expensive, with the cost of the dishes + 10% service + 14% other taxes. The quality and portions did not reflect the high price or the premium standard of the rest of the hotel. The breakfast was generally good with a fruit platter and English breakfast of choice, but egg preparation and cooking was inconsistent depending on which chef was in the kitchen.
There is a personalised greeting ceremony, involving lighting a welcome lamp and ringing some bells, which might delight some, but we really couldn’t appreciated it since we arrived very tired from travelling from Negombo and safari in Wilpattu.
It is a good location to visit Anradhapura from, especially if they have completed the extensive road resurfacing project. Wilpattu National Park is a good distance away approx 65km
In summary, really stands out and we would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury boutique hotel and spa located in Anuradhapura, North Central of Sri Lanka. Built on 58 lush acres bordering two ancient reservoirs, surrounded by unspoilt nature and tucked away in complete privacy, the resort offers 20 spacious and luxurious chalets, 19 stand alone chalets and one suite, each with its own private plunge pool with all modern amenities. Ulagalla Resort is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and a passion for wildlife. But we understand that great adventures are also about elegant simplicity – to return to a cool dip in the pool, rejuvenate in the spa or sip a sundowner on a private deck.Located at the center of the Cultural Triangle and close to national parks, Ulagalla is the perfect base for travelers with a thirst for adventure and passion for wildlife. The resort offers many excursions and guided tours: A cycling tour can be taken to explore the ancient capital of Anuradhapura in a novel way. Exciting wildlife safaris to the plains of Minneriya National Park to watch the elephants or further West to Wilpattu National Park – the realm of leopards - are organized with all the necessary permits.Witness the wonder of Kalawewa – a giant reservoir and a proud feat of engineering of an ancient kingdom, or visit the ancient ruins of Ritigala. Explore the marvels of Sigiriya, Dambulla, Polonnaruwa and other sites of archaeological and historical significance on a day trip. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Uga Ulagalla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ulagalla Hotel Thirappane
- Uga Ulagalla Sri Lanka/Thirappane