“Truly Impressive Food...Mostly...and Cozy too!”
Review of Skaldjurskrogen

Skaldjurskrogen
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Kungshamn
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: A restaurant in Kungshamns Harbor where the main focus is on fish and shellfish. For those of you who prefer something else we serve different types of meat and salads. Welcome to a restaurant with a homely feeling and a fantastic view.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,857 helpful votes
“Truly Impressive Food...Mostly...and Cozy too!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Skaldjurskrogen is a cozy place on the marina in Kungshamn. There is outdoor seating which is nice for a drink at water's edge, watching the boats go by. Inside is nice too, with big picture windows looking out that are removeable on a sunny day. It's not a huge place, so reservations are very recommended.

We enjoyed being outside and the view on a sunny afternoon, until the waitress dumped a drink on my lap at least (in true Sweden style, no offer to make up for drenching me, hardly an apology - probably charged me for the drink too, but I forgot to check). Very good drinks though.

We returned for dinner another night and we were frankly amazed that it was as good as it was. We tried the carpaccio, shrimp cocktail and the crawfish for appetizers and they were all outstanding. Not just the "usual" Swedish preparations. For mains we tried the tuna with fresh tagliatelle and the fiskgratin. The fiskgratin was excellent.

The tuna was raw (in a bad way - still frozen inside and bright pink, not dark red like seared tuna should be prepared correctly, totally inedible) but the pasta was excellent. Again in true Sweden service style, the waitress took away the almost uneaten tuna without a question or comment. I asked her before ordering what kind of tuna it was and she looked at me like I was crazy, even laughed a bit, said she would have to ask the chef, but never did. I doubt the chef knew either. I should have taken the hint, my bad. Probably bluefin but who knows.

Very expensive drinks and overall. Great food overall, just a big miss on the tuna. I only didn't send it back because I was already full enough and didn't really need more food.

Service was friendly but took some time (they were busy though). Service was good for Sweden - the things I mention are disappointing to a foreigner but it is rare to find truly good service at a restaurant in Sweden, only the very best restaurants give you the feeling of being truly valued as a customer, and not even many of those. So in that view the service was good.

They have music on I think it is Wednesday evenings too. We really enjoyed this place.

• Visited July 2013