“Fantastic”
Review of Ciaran's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palolem
Ciaran's
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed there 25.02.2013 - 04.03.2013. Place is excellent. The best in whole beach. There are no AC, but you don't need it. Breakfast could be more varied. Food is very good, but more expensive that in other places. Very helpful staff.
If you take excursion from the taxi service, be sure of what is included in price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ciaran's

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just back from a four night stay at Ciaran's. I can barely fault the place. The location is amazing - right in the centre of the bay and the huts are the best I saw on the beach. We had a sea view hut - it was lovely lying in the hammock at night, listening to the sea and enjoying the whole atmosphere of the place. Breakfast was fine and the afternoon tea and cake divine. We did not eat in the restaurant much but what we had was good. We also liked that you could fill your water bottles free of charge and that there was free wi-fi.
Overall, the place had a very relaxed ambiance, was clean and secure enough for the many solo travellers who were staying there. The only down note was that the water was never more than tepid but hey ho, who wants a hot shower after lying in 30 degree heat all day. Will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Try for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at Ciaran's with my boyfriend for 2 weeks at the end of November/beginning of December 2012. We had a sea-facing room which had a great outside decking literally on the beach, with amazing views of the bay and monkey island. There was a huge hammock on the deck, which unfortunately was a bit twisted and had some gaping holes, but we both managed to sit on it quite comfortably (with use of elephant-designed pillows from the room). There were also two wooden chairs and a small table on the deck. The room was very large and spacious, with a double bed and mosquito net all the way around, which seemed to work pretty well for the whole 2 weeks. A few bugs did manage to sneak their way in but this could have been us not being careful at keeping it closed. The shower/bathroom was in the corner of the room and worked suprisingly well! I was very impressed by the capability of the shower drainage system, which was only a hole in the floor. All water managed to stay in the corner of the room and the whole bathroom did not get soaked as I expected. My only negative comment is that the shower took a while to heat up, but in the overall heat I didn't mind a semi-cold shower, in which time it had heated up enough for my boyfriend. The storage space is a small rack of hanging shelves, and a few hangers to hang things up, but we brought extra hangers with us so that we could hang more things up. The room was very clean given the fact that it is almost outside! Insence sticks and matches included which smelt lovely. If you need it cleaning just hand if your key to reception and they do a great job of getting rid of sand and making the room clean and tidy again! Overall staff were fantastic. Very helpful, always talk to you (especiallly the bar staff, and Krishna in particular!). If you need a taxi anywhere talk to Anthony who always stands by the steps to the beach. I don't know how his prices compare to others as we always used him, but we found them very reasonable (about £25 for a days a/c taxi) and the taxi drivers were always friendly. The food at Ciarans was the best on the beach! I would especially recommend the tikka starter, and the goan style lobster (very very spicy!). The tapas restaurant was also delicious and a nice break from traditional Indian food. Compared to other places on the beach I think Ciarans looks and feels a lot more secure. It has bolts inside each door in the room, and a large padlock for the outside. Also, the whole grounds are fenced in and there is a gate in the back entrance, which is bolted at night, and there is always someone keeping watch at the entrance from the beach during the night (atleast till the late hours that we came home). They have lockers by the main brick building in the middle of the complex that you can put your valuables in with your own padlock, although we never used this. There is a little alley that runs down the side of Ciarans to the beach, but our hut was right next to it and other than the occasional roudy tourist this never caused us any problems. There is a cross/shrine at the end of this alley, on the beach, which locals tend to gather around, as well as in the shade of the palm tree growing from our decking (which provides some of the only shade on the beach) but again these people never bothered or spoke to us.

Included in the price is breakfast, for which there was cereal with milk, bread rolls with butter (and some weird jam that I wouldn't recommend) and eggs either fried, boiled or in a spicy omlete. All were nice! Whenever we were nearby in the afternoon I would have a cup of the sweet chai and the lovely home-made cake, which are also included in the price. (Although the slices are quite small so I always ended up having 2 or 3 :p). There is also a library, and guests can borrow any of the books free of charge. They also had some board games, and we borrowed scrabble for the week!

The overall grounds were very well kept. Constantly sweeping the sand, grass and plants watered every day. In the afternoon they put out solar paneled lights which were used to light the complex at night. The tapas bar was transformed in the daytime to a sunbathing area, with a bar (strawberry daiquiries to die for!) but be warned, the floor gets very hot! as well as the sunbeds.

Overall this place was stunning. The view of the sunset everynight from our hammock overlookig the beach was fantastic. Great staff, well kept place, amazing food. Would definitly recommend and visit again if back in Palolem beach! Oh one downfall was the noise of the crows above our hut, but you can't blame Ciaran's for that! Great place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed one night in the hut with ocean view. Experience was great. Rooms are clean and comfy. Food in restaurant absolutely great. Staff is very attending and helpful. General - great experience worth price.

Room Tip: Take a hut as close to see as you can. You will get a feeling that ocean is surrounding you when wav...
Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert K
Reviewed February 20, 2013

well located on the coast of palolem and that is where my positive review ends.
overpriced rooms, unclean restaurant tables, poor meal sizes and ridiculous service plagues this place!
firsr n foremost, on an off season, weekday afternoon when the restaurant is barely half full - it is almost tiring to get a waiter's attention to jot down the order; let alone be welcomed and shown a table! After being seated for nearly 20 min and not a single waiter has bothered to come by, I decided to fetch the menus myself. It was another half n hour before I could place my order. The food arrives within the next half n hour, in canary proportions, and it would be another half n hour before I could get the most lackadaisical waiter's attention! He strides over to inform me that the restaurant is closed (even though there is fifteen minutes left to closing time!) and that I may order any liquor if I pleased. Having been seated for over two hours and being at the receiving end of such a pathetic service, I had decided I've had enough!
Will never recommend this place to anyone! Palolem is a beautiful beach and there are plenty of places that'll cater to your needs much better than Ciaran. Terrible experience!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from a second GREAT visit to Ciaran's (last one was 2 years ago) - I am always a little nervous about returning to the same place in case it is a disappointment. However, if anything, it was better second time around. They have expanded with about 10+ new huts in 'The Grove' right next door (and connected to) the original Ciaran's. There is also a separate little Tapas restaurant here which is excellent. During the daytime this area has a good number of sun loungers just above the beach - a really great addition to Ciaran's. All of the (mainly Nepali) staff were as fantastic as ever with a great level of service, particularly from the guys in the Tapas. John was around keeping an eye on things - he is not grumpy just quite quiet and keeps himself to himself. It can be noisy at night here (take earplugs), but no noisier than anywhere else on Palolem beach - the loudest thing at night (apart from the odd firework) is the sound of the waves crashing and who doesn't like that sound!
Ciaran's is more expensive than other places but if you want the best location / huts / food / service and spot for a sundowner then I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RiyadhAlfi
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a beach hut with a garden view for a week. And thoroughly enjoyed my stay the food was very good with a wide variety and they have a lovely rooftop restaurant/bar to while away the evening. I have to agree with the last reviewer I have absolutely issues with the staff I found them very attentive and friendly the manager Ashley was particularly helpful and very professional the owner John seemed to take a hands-off style of management but yet he was most definitely making sure things ran smoothly. The garden hut itself was what you'd expect a clean and well appointed with your own deck which had a hammock to chairs and table. Would have no reservations recommending the place to friends or family and am looking forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: Asked for a hut with a garden as I believe this offers be best options available.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Robert G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palolem
The Tubki Resort
#10 of 52 in Palolem
Marron Sea View Resort
Marron Sea View Resort
#4 of 9 in Palolem

Been to Ciaran's? Share your experiences!