“Fantastic experience. Expensive.”
Review of Ciaran's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palolem
Ciaran's
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience. Expensive.”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed one night in the hut with ocean view. Experience was great. Rooms are clean and comfy. Food in restaurant absolutely great. Staff is very attending and helpful. General - great experience worth price.

Room Tip: Take a hut as close to see as you can. You will get a feeling that ocean is surrounding you when wav...
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 20, 2013

well located on the coast of palolem and that is where my positive review ends.
overpriced rooms, unclean restaurant tables, poor meal sizes and ridiculous service plagues this place!
firsr n foremost, on an off season, weekday afternoon when the restaurant is barely half full - it is almost tiring to get a waiter's attention to jot down the order; let alone be welcomed and shown a table! After being seated for nearly 20 min and not a single waiter has bothered to come by, I decided to fetch the menus myself. It was another half n hour before I could place my order. The food arrives within the next half n hour, in canary proportions, and it would be another half n hour before I could get the most lackadaisical waiter's attention! He strides over to inform me that the restaurant is closed (even though there is fifteen minutes left to closing time!) and that I may order any liquor if I pleased. Having been seated for over two hours and being at the receiving end of such a pathetic service, I had decided I've had enough!
Will never recommend this place to anyone! Palolem is a beautiful beach and there are plenty of places that'll cater to your needs much better than Ciaran. Terrible experience!

• Stayed February 2013
Riyadh
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from a second GREAT visit to Ciaran's (last one was 2 years ago) - I am always a little nervous about returning to the same place in case it is a disappointment. However, if anything, it was better second time around. They have expanded with about 10+ new huts in 'The Grove' right next door (and connected to) the original Ciaran's. There is also a separate little Tapas restaurant here which is excellent. During the daytime this area has a good number of sun loungers just above the beach - a really great addition to Ciaran's. All of the (mainly Nepali) staff were as fantastic as ever with a great level of service, particularly from the guys in the Tapas. John was around keeping an eye on things - he is not grumpy just quite quiet and keeps himself to himself. It can be noisy at night here (take earplugs), but no noisier than anywhere else on Palolem beach - the loudest thing at night (apart from the odd firework) is the sound of the waves crashing and who doesn't like that sound!
Ciaran's is more expensive than other places but if you want the best location / huts / food / service and spot for a sundowner then I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RiyadhAlfi
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a beach hut with a garden view for a week. And thoroughly enjoyed my stay the food was very good with a wide variety and they have a lovely rooftop restaurant/bar to while away the evening. I have to agree with the last reviewer I have absolutely issues with the staff I found them very attentive and friendly the manager Ashley was particularly helpful and very professional the owner John seemed to take a hands-off style of management but yet he was most definitely making sure things ran smoothly. The garden hut itself was what you'd expect a clean and well appointed with your own deck which had a hammock to chairs and table. Would have no reservations recommending the place to friends or family and am looking forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: Asked for a hut with a garden as I believe this offers be best options available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert G
Southampton, UK
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed at Ciarans with a friend for a week, and had a great stay. This is the nicest place to stay in Palolem, particularly if you get a garden room. Rooms are comfortable, there is hot water, and breakfast is plentiful. Some other reviewers have criticised the staff, and whilst I agree they were slow to reply to emails, they were great while we were there, arranging taxis and boat trips for us, always helping when we needed them.
It is great to be able to hear the beach, but my only moan would be a dog barking for an hour or some one night, keeping me up; I guess that beach huts for you though.
Palolem itself is laid back, relatively quiet, but plently of options for a curry and a beer in the evening, and a beautiful beach.
A great stay, I'd recommend it!

Room Tip: I'd advise a garden room for the best surroundings!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Ciarans for 4 nights in January. There was a mix-up with our reservation and our room was not available until the following day, so they provided us with another cottage for the night. Whilst this was not a huge problem, mistakes happen, the manager was apologetic and assured us the room would be ready the following morning. However, we gave them ample time to prepare our room by going shopping but it seemed to take far longer than promised to sort it out and when finally showed to our room, the manager did not wait to see if we were happy. We felt that although Ciarans is by far the most luxurious and beautiful place in Palolem to stay, all the staff and management were professional but slightly off-hand and unfriendly, not the standard that we had enjoyed in the many other places we had stayed throughout India. We felt they were relying on their status on the beach and not making any effort to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at Ciaran's for 3 nights (22-24 Jan 2013). We booked at the last minute (that day) and thought ourselves lucky that someone had just cancelled. They sent a taxi to collect us from the airport which cost 1800 Rupees -- which we later discovered is very expensive! But it was airconditioned and the driver was very nice and polite, and drove very safely. The drive was 1.25 hours.

The cancelled hut was right at the back of the property behind the kitchen. For two people sharing it cost 3700 Rupees per night incl breakfast and afternoon tea, and free wi-fi (sometimes didn't work). It was cool to sleep in and the bed was very comfortable, but the walls are paper thin so we were first wakened in the middle of the night by guys chatting in the hut next to ours, and again in the early morning by the kitchen staff doing their ablutions (lots of snorting and spitting, felt like it was inside our hut!). We asked to change and they had a room in the brick building in the garden for 5000 Rupees. It included a TV with satelitte, aircon, a ceiling fan, burglar bars so you didn't need to use the locker for valuables, and hot water at any time of the day. However, the bed was so uncomfortable with springs coming out and poking you in the back, that I hardly slept. Also, no mosquito net.

The breakfast was plain and obviously suited to Western tastes: cornflakes and cut fruit. Delicious fruit I must say! Watermelon juice tasted a little off on all the days we were there. Bread was fresh. Omellettes had a nice bite of chilli, but in general, the breakfast was boring. No masala chai -- plain tea and coffee were help-yourself out of an urn. We had a dinner and a lunch at Ciarans. Dinner of panneer tikka was good, but lunch of thali and a papaya salad was terrible: watery dal and all dishes were tasteless. I also had a pina colada cocktail at the sunbeds area and it was not a pina colada by any stretch of the imagination! It was basically pure alcohol with a splash of pineapple juice. The waiters are a delight, though -- incredibly friendly and accommodating.

And that brings me to the owner. He sits around with the most unapproachable attitude -- we felt like we were constantly treading on his personal space. (It would be better if he wasn't around.) And his pretty assistant, appearing helpful at first, just sweetly tells you nothing can be done about anything you request. So, we felt the 5000 Rupees for the brick room with an uncomfortable mattress with the springs poking out was totally overpriced. Ashley, on the other hand, was incredibly helpful, although it didn't make the bed more comfortable. We left after 3 nights even though we'd planned to stay 5 nights.

Palolem Beach is a beautiful coconut palm-fringed beach. The swimming is heavenly, and the food at Cubas and Bamboo was delicious -- we loved the dinners on the beach. Sitting in the cool of Ciaran's restaurant during the day was enjoyable, but it got boring after a while. The area at Ciaran's with the sunbeds is incredibly hot -- they have painted the wooden floor in the front black so it is bakes. We found that during the day there was no retreat from the heat and we constantly felt grungey. Our room was not comfortable to retreat to. After looking at the other "hotels" on the beach, Ciaran's definitely has the nicest garden and daytime restaurant area.

But I wouldn't go back to Palolem Beach because the accommodation is grungey and uncomfortable, and at Ciaran's, it was expensive for what you get. It might be nice for a night, but not for a week.

Compare to the Sofitel in Mumbai, which costs 8500 Rupees for two people sharing: you get a brand new hotel and the most comfortable room with crisp linen, all modcons including electronic curtains and blinds, marble bathroom with ample hot water and l'Occitane products, cleaned every day, and the most amazing breakfast in India with food for every taste. Granted, it's not on the beach, but it must cost a lot to maintain it. At Ciaran's it felt like the lord of the manor was milking us.

Room Tip: Definitely must have a seaview otherwise you will feel cooped up. Our bed in the brick building was...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller123CT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palolem
The Tubki Resort
#4 of 9 in Palolem
Cuba Premium Beach Huts
Cuba Premium Beach Huts
#10 of 53 in Palolem

Been to Ciaran's? Share your experiences!