“Great Place Great Host Great Experience”

Blue On Blue Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 7 St. James B&B and Inns
Oxfordshire
“Great Place Great Host Great Experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2007

Having thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely guesthouse in 2006, we just had to spend a few nights there this time even though we had our own newly-purchased property to move into. What's the attraction? The fabulous view over St James bay from the master bedroom... especially when the whales are in to birth / the garden seats - such a lovely suntrap with pretty floral views / the ample and exceptional breakfast cuisine - the bread is fresh from the bakery each morning / the artwork serving as a reminder of the health problems of the country and the support given by the owner & the manager to various art & health education projects / & Nadeem the charming and friendly host for whom nothing is any trouble and who helped & advised us well after our stay was finished. Blue On Blue is a must for every future visit to beautiful Capetown.

• Liked — Master bedroom & vseaview
  • Disliked — uneven outside steps
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DougOxon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bremen
Reviewed November 4, 2007

Absolute beauty, I had the opportunity to spend some time in this fab establishment. I came from the busy and noisy city to absolute quiteness, At night i went to bed and fell asleep with the sounds of the breaking waves. In the morning i wake up to the sounds of the beautiful birds. I remember getting up, wash my face in the bath room, open the window and BANG, there it is , mountain, right there in the back yard. I turned around to open my bedroom curtain and BANG, there it is, the entire view of Cape Point and seal Island. Now I can understand where the name blue on blue comes from and it is used 100% correctly , without a doubt. Why must all good things comes to an end. Just when you think you had it all wait till you meet the host Nadeem.

He is an absolute friend and ambassador to his city. Not only is he the chef who spoils you with a wonderful breakfast, oh....i still remember the warm ciabata bread he collects from the Olympia Cafe in Kalk Bay, speaking of which, this is one of the top ten in Cape Town and i strongly recommend this wonderfull restaurant, but let me go back to Nadeem, He gives you something to take away with you, and that is the meaning of his name, means GOOD FRIEND AND COMPANION. I look at him as a very wiseman person and always positive about life. He just know how to make you feel at home. Apart from all this he is also a tour guide and does some good work in the township. He showed me the plans of the multipurpose centre that will commence on any day now and i will most certainly want to spend more time there on my next visit. He works with a non profit organization and support the local artist in the township.

Stunning worker and excellent with people. He also happened to be one of the District Six survivers. I sat for 4 hrs listening to him and i still didn't want him to stop. He let you believe unknowingly that he can be a motivational speaker and for me it was unbelievable to hear that he still don't carry any pain of Distric Six. I was on a business trip to Cape Town and i will most certainly bring my family to enjoy this ........to much for words. Next time i will not forget my running shoes, as it appears to me as the best jogging, walking or running area. I believe the Two Oceans Marathon & a cycling tour passes this route, which help in making this location one of the best in South Africa.

I will not say goodbye but until next time. Thank you blue on blue.

From Lanciabata..HOME AWAY FROM HOME.Germany

• Liked — Friendliness & the view
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank lanciabata
walsall
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Nadeem met us with a warm smile like we were old friends and we were made to feel very welcome at Blue on blue and would definately return if we have the opportunity. The house is full of character and we had the master suite which has great views from the bedroom and the shower/bath and a fab bed too. Breakfast was great and we were disappointed to leave. Nadeem does alot for his community and is worth supporting. The only problem is the house has no name sign on it so it took us longer than we would have liked to find. Go to the very top of the road and it is on the left.

• Liked — Our host
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindaWalsall
cambridge, MA
Reviewed August 5, 2007

The perfect way to experience the cozy town of St. James! Blue on Blue perches between the sandy beaches of False Bay and Table Mountain National Park, a location that provides breathtaking views of the coastal mountains from every window.
Though it is close to the must see sights of the region (Cape Town central, Cape Point, Simons town), it is embedded in a small and friendly community with ample supply of delicious restaurants, coffee shops, and local pubs. Though the location is incredible, the staff of Blue on Blue (genuine, down to earth, and incredibly accommodating) made my July trip phenomenal. Their willingness to share generations of local history and knowledge made my first trip to South Africa an experience I can never forget. Ask to visit some of the local non-profits and artists collectives that are friends of the owners-- its an incredible and authentic glimpse into the multi-faceted South African way of life.

• Liked — the friendly and helpful staff-- the best!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank gwirth
Oxford, AL
Reviewed July 22, 2007

May-June, 2007

This is my second long-term stay at Blue On Blue Bed & Breakfast. My first occasion I stayed for ten weeks, and on this stay I was here for six weeks. I would recommend Blue On Blue to anyone coming to South Africa, including when I come back on vacation. Blue On Blue is a lovely B&B with wonderful ocean views in all guest rooms (I have stayed in 2 of them). They have a fabulous breakfast every morning, and a wonderful garden.

For me being a traveler from America, the host, Nadeem, made me feel right at home. He considers himself an ambassador for his country and caretaker for his guests. We traveled into the city, but also into the townships to expose me to the full range of lifestyles in the area. Nadeem has an impressive knowledge of the culture and history of his homeland, including both an understanding of high culture and an awareness of street life.

At Blue On Blue, you have a lot of restaurants within walking distance. One of the restaurants that I really enjoyed was the Olympia (on the top ten list of reviews for the area). The owner, Mr. Tom Harding, is a very kind gentleman, as I have had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Blue On Blue has wireless connection for internet, and I was therefore able to communicate easily with my company overseas, and my family.

The only regrets I have about Blue On Blue is that I have to leave. We may be returning in October, and no matter where we are working in Cape Town, I will choose to stay at Blue On Blue.

• Stayed May 2007
2 Thank terryrawls
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Blue on Blue is nestled into the hills of St. James, a European style fishing town. It’s within close walking distance to restaurants and shops, but the place itself is quiet and although there are close neighbors, it feels very intimate. All the rooms have spectacular views of the ocean, and I found that every time of day, from dawn to dusk, provided beautiful sea vistas. At noon, a fleet of fishing boats comes back to shore with their morning catches, and from the sight is amazing. I could not stop taking pictures.

It instantly felt like home there. The rooms are cozy and comfortable and each has its own bathroom. I felt totally at ease whether I was using the living room, sitting on the porch overlooking the ocean, or just enjoying the quiet in my room.

The train station is right at the bottom of the street, so we had easy access into an around Cape Town every day. Plus, we were able to visit other sites – such as Simonstown and the Penguin Island. Our experience was completely enhanced by the knowledge and service of Nadeem, the keeper of Blue on Blue, and someone you’ll get to know very well while you stay there. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and completely at our service while we were there, directing us to the best sites, restaurants, and activities we never would have found in a tour book. He definitely became a friend during our two week stay.

I give this place a 10, really. See pics for more evidence!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank split-apple
Santa Cruz
Reviewed May 22, 2007

This place is amazing. Not only does it have an unbelievable view of the ocean and surrounding hills, Blue on Blue is nestled up within the hills, adding to its warm and cozy feel. In addition to the incredible house itself, its location is ideal. Located in a quite neighborhood, one can still enjoy Cape Town and the surrounding areas easily--My favorites were Simon’s Town (the penguin beach, just a few train stops away!) and the nearby local antique shops and restaurants. This Bed and Breakfast truly enhanced my stay and I will be sure to stay at Blue on Blue the next time I travel to Cape Town.

• Liked — The cozy house, view and natural beauty
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
#1 of 5 in Kalk Bay
Fish Hoek Bed and Breakfast
Fish Hoek Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 19 in Fish Hoek

Been to Blue On Blue Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!