“Boozhoo (Ojbwe "Greetings")”

Legendary Waters Casino
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Red Cliff
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The staff at the hotel and casino were very welcoming and helpful. Our room had a beautiful view of a rising sun and a full moon coming up over Bassweood Island. The hotel rates are a great value. We received $20 upon check-in for signing up for the players club. We ended up with $15 after doing the necessary gambling. We enjoyed our breakfast and dinner in the restaurant. I got the fish and wild rice burger. We walked along Little Sand Bay nearby that is a mainland part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Lake Superior is our inland sea. Where the sea meets the land is a special place that enriches ones soul. If you live in the Twin Cities and you've been to the North Shore try turning east in Duluth and traveling through Port Wing, Herbster and Cornucopia along the South Shore of Lake Superior. Stop at Ehlers General Store, Siskiwit Bay Coffee and Curiosities, Meyers Beach and a waterfall or two. And stay at the Legendary Waters Hotel and Casino. The Red Cliff Band of Chippewa offer a warm welcome - "Boozhoo".

All reviews
"small casino"
in 9 reviews
"casino floor"
in 3 reviews
"black jack tables"
"event center"

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Reading the other reviews just does not give this place justice! Our room was fantastic with a patio door opening up to a small pario overlooking the marina. The room was spacious and was very nice. I felt very relaxed just sitting in the room, very relaxing! I thought the casino was on the smaller side, but a variety of machines to choose from. The casino itself was also very clean and comfortable! I thought the ventalation system was great - it didn't spell like a typical smokey casino, and my eyes didn't burn. They have a full bar and the drinks are not badly priced. The food was excellent - the buffet was smaller than a lot of the bigger casinos, but upscale. I am looking forward to going back. This is now my new favorite place to go - to get out of town!

1  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We visited and stayed the night. We will not go back to the casino or the hotel. The rooms are very nice but noisy. The air conditioner blew air randomly, even though all the heating and air conditioners controls were in the off position. The mattresses are very poor quality for a new hotel. You can hear the other rooms doors closing. The hot tub had too much clorine.

The slot machines malfuntioned regularly. For a new casino, the ventilation was very poor. You could smell the smoke as soon as you entered the outside doors

1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The new Legendary Waters hotel/casino opened last fall and is a HUGE improvement over the old run-down "pole barn" casino (no hotel) they had across the street. The casino itself is still small (they appeared to have the exact same slot machines they had at the old place, though their website says they're adding some new ones), but it's a much, much nicer facility that actually takes advantage of their spectacular location on Lake Superior. Large windows offer wonderful views and there's also a marina and campground that I suspect will be popular in the summer months.

We booked a standard king room. Upon checking in, I saw that some of the rooms on the first floor had direct outside access, so I asked to switch to one of those. (The standard rooms apparently don't come with a fridge, so I thought it would be nice to be able to chill our drinks outside.) Our room was new, spacious and nicely decorated. Flat screen TV, large bathroom and shower (no tub) and a nice view of the marina. For $59/night (weekday rate), it was definitely a good value. My only complaint (other than a lack of fridge), was we didn't receive housekeeping service during our 2 night stay. We *did* leave our room a little late that morning and they *did* leave towels and coffee outside our door, but I thought they might come back to clean the room when they saw our "housekeeping please" sign, but they didn't. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying as we didn't leave THAT late in the day.

Hotel ammenities include a small fitness room and an indoor pool with an indoor/outdoor hottub. I was kind of disappointed that the outside portion of the hottub was tarped off. I understand it was winter, but I thought it would have been really cool to chill in the hottub outside in December...oh well. There is access to a nice patio area just outside that would be nice for sunbathing in the summer months. All of the hotel (including the rooms) is non-smoking, but the smoke smell does drift in from the casino into some of the hotel common areas.

The casino is an open space between the hotel area and the event center. The whole place has a cozy "northwoodsy" feel with lots of warm, natural tones and wood/stone textures. Again, it's not a very large casino, but it's nicely laid out and spacious. There is a small bar area with a nice view, one full-service restaurant (breakfast buffet available on weekends only) and a coffee shop/deli with "food court" style seating. The restaurant had great views and the food was decent (not spectacular, but decent) with reasonable prices. Nice salad/soup bar, which can make for a good lunch in and of itself. We didn't eat at the deli. Smoking is allowed in the casino and small bar area, but not in the restaurants or convention center area. Free soda/coffee is available on the casino floor. I was actually impressed that they had "real" coffee cups available to use while playing. For us, the slots were VERY tight...just couldn't seem to win anything :(

Overall, we enjoyed this place and would definitely go back. (In fact, my friend and I are going to be staying there in March for a concert.) My husband and I talked about trying out their campground/RV park this summer. From what we could see, it looked really nice with great views.

2  Thank midnitebreeze
See more reviews
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Legendary Waters just opened in September. We visited in Oct and rooms were only $79 a night plus there were some gambling and drink incentives provided. The casino is small but has a lot of variety. The hotel is beautiful with spacious rooms and gorgeous views of Lake Superior. It is close to the charming town of Bayfield, Wi with free shuttle trips into town (although the town is pretty closed up after summer season).
The restaurant was not terrific. Some in our party had the walleye which was delicious; I had steak which wasn't the best. Breakfast buffet was just ok; good omelets and everything else was pretty average.

6  Thank blnavarremary