“Bessigen Hike a winner - Superb views”

Jotunheimen National Park
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 250 mountains of almost 2000 meters high, including the 2469 meters Galdhopiggen, Jotunheimen offers nature at its peak. Hike, bike, climb or ski. Flow with rivers and listen to waterfalls. Camp wild and free, spend the night sleeping inside the park's wooden huts, cabins and lodges and hotels. In the Home of the Giants you touch the sky walking over the famous Besseggen ridge. Fly with eagles standing on top of the mighty Galdhopiggen or just lie on your back in the lush meadows of this natural beauty embraced by picturesque Lom, the green slopes of Gudbrandsdalen, traditional Valdres, the waters of the Sognefjord and the eternal ice of the Jostedalsbreen glacier. So watch and be watched by the abundant wildlife. Experience the freedom, beauty, Zen and mystique of Europe's wildest nature. Come, meet the seasons and listen to the heart of Norway, beating in Jotunheimen. Jotunheimen National Park, the heart of Norway beats between Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim.
Melbourne, Australia
102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Bessigen Hike a winner - Superb views”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My husband and I are both over 55- Fit and healthy and it took us about 8 and a half hours to do the hike- We absolutely loved it! The views from the top were superb! One of the best views I have experienced on a hike- We caught the boat to Memurubu - cost 120 NOK per person and 100 NOK to park your car for the day! Check the timetable before you go and get there in plenty of time to catch the boat as tickets can't be pre booked. Hike itself was a challenge with some rock scrambling and sections through snow! Our walking poles certainly helped! Highly recommended to spend the day walking this superb trail!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Rh0nda58

Brisbane, Australia
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Unbelievable Hugh scenery even for Norway”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We drove up and back from soundal to Lom - didn't do any hiker - would have once when I was younger. Lol
The scenery is indescribable and everything is on such a large scale and phot is a total waste of time
We had brilliant sunshine and quite warm
Loved all the little stone cairns everyone builds
The colours of the glacier lakes in beautiful
There are so many waterfalls that on our return journey the snow on the uphill side of one part of the road had melted and was rushing across the road - it was great
Definitely do this drive even if it's the only one you do

Visited June 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

See my review for the Besseggen Ridge but the park has some amazing terrain. We drove through, stayed one night at the Gjendesheim, did the ridge hike and made it to Lom by late afternoon - we are fast so you could spend another night in the park. Get out and walk around, the place is beautiful. The services are even more limited than in "normal" Norway so some planing will go a long way.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tony S
Los Angeles, CA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Bessegen Hike - amazing! But you must be in shape to do it”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is one of the most popular hikes in Norway and well worth it! We took the earliest boat to Memurubu and hiked Bessegen back to the parking lot. One way trip reported to be ~15km.

During our 8-9 hour adventure, we encountered rain, wind, snow, sunshine, clouds (early July).
There are areas of uphill climbing on rocks, downhill climbing, flat areas, and even a part w/ a chain where you must belay down. I do admit our group was the only one that appeared to be struggling. We were passed by various groups going much faster. It is well marked though and you follow rocks painted w/ the letter "T". There is a bathroom at the parking lot, but none along the trail. Most of the trail is exposed (not many places to hide behind!)

In my opinion, this hike is on the challenging side. You should be in good shape and well prepared (bring food, water, rain jacket, etc). However, the views are amazing and I would definitely recommend it to any visitor to Norway who loves hiking.

Besseggen.net has some information as well.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank yellowbear613
Staines, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Most amazing time ever”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On my two week hike through Jotunheimen, I hiked over Besseggen ridge, bathed my feet in glacial melt water, hiked through quiet mountain top valleys, over and around waterfalls, explored glaciers and forests, I saw wild reindeer, ptarmigans and lemmings..

There were days of constant, soul destroying rain, days of blazing sun, and also blizzards.

I did the trek over Besseggen, up Glittertind and Galdhoppigen and back to Gjendeshiem, and it was the most amazing thing I have ever done, I want to go back!

Don't just do Besseggen, do the whole thing! Besseggen is beautiful, but it can get VERY busy, even queues form. The rest of Jotunhiemen is more peaceful.

Visited August 2012