“Couldn't ask for more” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cove
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Couldn't ask for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Great friendly service and lovely food in this interesting country house. We loved staying in "The Library". We certainly hope to go back. The food in the restaurant was wonderful, both at breakfast and dinner.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear bgks,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We are very glad you enjoyed both our food and service and hope to see you again very soon.

Kind Regards

Linsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here a little while ago now, but have only just go around to writing my review. This is a lovely little hotel, the views are fantastic, the locataion peaceful, it is a perfect base for relaxing and catching up on a bit of peace and quiet. There are some wonderful walks all around the area. The restaurant was a complete treat, our dinner was certainly the peak of our weekend. Can thorughly reccomend this hotel for anyone wanting to get away from the rat race.

Room Tip: Try to book a room at the front so you can appreciate the views this hotel has to offer!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EAMac, Front Office Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Laura225,

Thank you for your kind words describing your stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed all of our hotel's features, from the location to your dining experience. I hope that we will see you again should you be in our neck of the woods in the future!

Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in the Knockderry Hotel Wee Double on our first night and a Traditional Room (room 7) on our second in October, and have mixed feelings about our stay.

The building's public areas were lovely and we enjoyed excellent breakfast's and dinner at the hotel. Whilst most of the staff were very helpful and polite towards us, whilst leaving the owner was very rude to one member of her staff which made us feel uncomfortable. Additionally we were made to feel in the wrong when ordering certain drinks from the bar the night before by the barmaid when our choices were questioned - should the customer not be right regardless? Also the next morning we were told that we couldn't sit on a certain table for breakfast as it had been reserved for 3 people but when another couple asked to sit there afterwards they were allowed...I am unsure why there was preferance over which people could sit in which tables when they clearly hadn't reserved it either!

We also felt that the traditional room in particular could have been finished to a higher standard, as we noticed the following negatives:

- TV hardly worked
- DVD player didn't work
- Wires trailing around the walls of the room
- Lack of 'traditional' features in the room, with bare walls and the bathroom exactly the same as in the wee double
- Extractor fan didn't work in the bathroom

Despite these points of improvement we nonetheless enjoyed our stay at the Knockderry - a beautiful building in a lovely setting that allowed us to explore the Loch Lomond area well. The traditional room was spacious with a large comfy bed. We understand the the hotel is still a working progress and hope that our points will enable some improvements to be made.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EAMac, Owner at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear SophieDouch,

Thank-you for sharing your opinions with us, regarding your recent stay at Knockderry Country House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I appreciate it has been some time since you left your posting but on reading your comments I felt it appropriate to discuss with you directly your concerns. Sadly my attempts to contact you have not resulted in hearing back from you and so I will leave some short comments here.

I have noted your observations regarding drinks and the service you received. I am sincerely sorry that the attempts of the bar-person to assist you in your selection caused you any embarrassment. I assure you that was not her intention whatsoever.

As regards the tables at breakfast, generally speaking guests are encouraged to sit where they wish however I understand a family of 3 staying with us at that time had requested to eat together and so we had reserved a table large enough for them and you were offered a table set for two people. Later we discovered that they had left without breakfast and so we were able to offer the table to another guest. I am sorry that this was not explained to you.

We have noted the defects as you found them in your room. We have addressed the wiring and DVD issues and thank you for taking the time to let us know. Room 7 is a situated in the old house and has a charming bay with a lead pained glass window, in addition it retains the original cornice work and has been furnished with antique furniture, it is for these reasons we have labelled it traditional.

Finally, given the nature of some of your comments I was particularly keen to explore your observations which are potentially damaging. Whilst I cannot dispute your view, I have discussed your stay at length with my staff, with whom I have an excellent open and honest relationship and we have not been able to identify any behaviour that could be the source of your criticism. Should you, however, feel able to provide me with any further feedback I would be very grateful. In truth we are all human and as such misunderstandings on all sides can be made. However we thank you for your feedback and hope we may welcome you back at some future point.

Kind regards

EAMacLeod
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Thanks for a great time, from the prosescco welcome to the food in the restaurant which was out of this world. We will be definitely back and would recommend this hotel to anyone on honeymoon( like we were) or just a romantic getaway

Dear Jacqui C,

Your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel are lovely and much appreciated! I am really pleased that we were able to contribute in a positive way towards your honeymoon experience and all of us here would love to have you stay with us again! I look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Literally not a complaint to be had. From the prosescco welcome (we were here as part of our honeymoon), to the fabulous setting, the exceptional food, everything was great. We'd happily recommend this as a romantic getaway from anyone.

Dear 3030orthereabouts,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay with us. I'm glad your stay here was perfect and I hope the rest of the honeymoon was fantastic. Hopefully we will see you next year for your anniversary!

Alnwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had occasion to take an evening meal here. From the moment I arrived the service was impeccable. The lounge area is beautiful. The meal that I had was wonderfully presented and a pleasure to the eyes. The staff were very attentive, checking that everything was in order. It is a pity that I could not stay the night. Rest assured that I will be visiting again, and will be staying for a few days. Outstanding!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jules T
Dear Jules T,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent dining experience with us. I am delighted our staff made you feel comfortable and took care of you throughout the night, and your comments about the appearance of the food are lovely and very much appreciated! I will pass your comments onto the rest of the staff. We would love to have you stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Edinburgh, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night on the Friday and then we stayed at cameron house hotel on Loch Lomond on the Saturday. We both wished we had stayed at Knockderry both nights as cameron house was more expensive and simply not as intimate nor as good as Knockderry. The breakfast was lovely and the location is outstanding.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
EAMac, Front Office Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Alan S,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay at the Knockderry House. I am glad you enjoyed the intimate atmosphere of our small hotel and the breakfast was to your liking. I hope that your positive experience with us will persuade you to stay with us again in the future.

Mhairi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cove
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Knockderry House Hotel? Share your experiences!