“A lovely place for the romantics”

Knockderry House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cove
glagow
“A lovely place for the romantics”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here with my husband in January just for the 1 night (have only just got around to writing this). The staff are so friendly and welcoming and happy to please, which is nice.
The views are just breath-taking and force you to unwind, especially with a drink in your hand.
The room we had was lovely, with views over the water.
I have come across bathrooms with roll top baths before and the very same problem as here, how are you supposed to wash your hair following your luxurious soak? There is no hand held shower. The space around the wash basin to put your washes, soaps etc. was minimal to say the least, a little more space would be good.
Feather pillows for me are a must for a good nights sleep, something I didn't get. Maybe if I had asked I might have been given a couple as everyone was so friendly .
Apart from these small points, our stay was just what was needed to recharge the batteries. The food was excellent with the right amount of time between courses.
The stay I felt was towards the higher end of the scale for price. I would definitely go back but wait for a deal or a special occasion rather than a battery recharge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jintyGlagow
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear JintyGlagow,

Many thanks for your great review of Knockderry House, it is very much appreciated. Our team workh hard and will be delighted to receive your praise; I will make sure your comments are passed on to them. Thank you also for highlighting the little things that could have been improved, this kind of feedback is an important part of our continual improvement and will be kept in mind when carrying out future refurbishment of our bedrooms. We hope to see you back at Knockderry some time soon,

Knockderry House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful trip staying at the Knockderry House Hotel. This was our first visit and will certainly not be our last. I have nothing to say about the hotel and staff which is not positive. The house has been beautifully restored, the staff could not do enough for you and the food was beautifully prepared and presented. We stayed in room 8 which is one of the modern rooms which is beautifully decorated, spacious with views of the loch. We had a chat with Murdo the owner who was very welcoming and told us something about the history of the house and we look forward to hearing more on our next visit. Thanks to everyone at Knockderry for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andygt,

Thank you so much for writing such a positive review following your stay at Knockderry House. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and it is very pleasing to hear that our staff contributed to this. I hope it won't be too long until we see you back at Knockderry,

Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Chosen through a random WWW search by my partner, we spent our first trip together at Knockderry House over the Easter weekend (2013).
From arrival it was like being welcomed into a family home as a member of the family. The Staff were fantastic, friendly and keen to make our stay memorable. Fraser and the team took time to talk with and spend time with us without being intrusive.
The restaurant menu was fantastic and the food quality, first class. The biggest problem we had after eating in the restaurant on our fist night, was deciding what we wanted to try the following night! If you need a good hint as to which wine to have with dinner, just ask Fraser!
As other reviewers have mentioned, the setting and views are second to none. Select a room to the front of the house to make sure that you get to experience this. We stayed in the Lochgoilhead suite, and found it comfortable, papcious and relaxing.
The whole atmosphere about the hotel was such that we spent most of the afternoon sitting in the lounge, doing a crossword, looking out over the views on offer.
I would recommned this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing, peaceful and comfortable time, and would make the journey for an evening, just to eat in the restaurant again.
We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Gary M,

Thank you kindly for your great review of Knockderry House. It's very encouraging to hear how highly you rate the staff and the food, two very important parts of any stay! I will make sure your review is made available to the rest of the team, I'm sure your compliments will be very well received. Should you feel the need for a relaxing break in the near future then I hope you will consider coming for a return visit,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were up at Knockderry for the one night - what a beautiful location with views across the water and Castle Greyskull on the cliffs behind the hotel - no complaints about the food or hospitality - room was lovely - not the honeymoon suite but comfy bed and toiletries and linen were all good quality. Double room not a problem for us - pretty harsh blaming a junior member of staff for not wanting to embarrass what she probably thought was 2 businessmen - not exactly the big city up there - get over yourselves.
Only met one of the owners who was charming and had 2 of the nicest natured collies which were happy to sit with anyone who wanted to play with them in reception - I get the feeling they are trained not to go into the public areas.

They offer a free overnight stay in the winter with a certain food spend which might give you a bargain.

No hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Slipstream222
Dear Slipstream222,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your stay with us. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your time here. Thank you for highlighting the food and your room as positives, always nice to hear that we are doing a good job! We would be delighted, as would the collies, to see you back at Knockderry House again in the future,

Blantyre, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for a short weekend break as an anniversary treat. We stayed in the library suite and it was full of character just as the website stated. Bed very comfy and is high praise for one who suffers from back ache !!! Food excellent and leaves you wanting more. Staff very welcoming and Fraser in particular, very knowledgable about local history and we sat up til the wee small hours with "a wee dram" talking. The only complaint I have is that we did experience the ghost of "Highland" tv as the tv signal was disrupted at times, but who goes away to watch tv!!!! Keep up the friendly, high service and people will feel its their summer retreat instead of the cotton traders of old.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EAMac, Manager at Knockderry House Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Andrea B,

Many thanks for your kind comments following your stay at Knockderry House. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; I enjoy taking time to speak with our guests and it's great to hear that this contributed to your enjoyment - I sometimes worry that my ramblings send guests off to sleep! Thank you also for highlighting the problem with TV reception, this is something we try to keep on top of and we will ensure all rooms and TV's are inspected to avoid further problems. Hope to see you back at Knockderry some time in the future,

Rhu, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights with work so sadly didn't get to take in much time enjoying the great views, but it was a really excellent stay. I had a very large comfortable room and slept very well on both nights - the hotel is very quietly located.

Breakfast was really tasty, I had the porridge on both days and it was definitely the best I have ever had. The rest of the group I was with had different things and all enjoyed it.

We dined at the hotel on both evenings - the food was excellent. I had steak on both nights, ribeye once, fillet once and thoroughly enjoyed them. The portions are enormous, but I think it depends what you order as my colleagues had haggis bon bons and they were much smaller than my starter for example. I guess it depends what you go for - they said their food was also very good.

The best thing about the hotel is the staff, they cannot do enough for you and happily kept us supplied with whatever we needed whilst sitting in front of the fire in the evening. All in all, probably one of the best work visits I've had anywhere and we've booked to go back when we're next due to work in the area. Hurry though - they ony had 2 rooms left at the end of April!

Room Tip: I was in room 6 - two double beds so good if you're on a group visit.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Laura H,

Thank you for taking to time to provide feedback from your stay at Knockderry House. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, it is always great to receive positive comments. It sounds as if everyone did a great job so I will make the rest of the team receive your praise. We hope to welcome you back to Knockderry House soon,

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here during the week with my wife for one night.
First impressions were of an old tastefully restored merchants house we felt at home from walking in helped by the warm welcome from the two collie dogs playing out the front.
Laura gave us a free room upgrade on arrival, a beautiful room overlooking the lough with a four poster bed and separate bath in what I think was a small round turret room.
The hotel was very quiet with few other guests and we sat in the lounge in front of the fire before dinner relaxing and chatting.
Dinner was local ingredients with a modern twist. It was excellent. the chef is obviously highly accomplished.
This is a relaxing restful place with great staff and great food. It is not cheap but if you are looking for a special break with a loved one or as a gift look no further.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Theell11
Dear Theel11,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your stay at Knockderry House. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will make sure to share your review with the rest of the team. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future,

Knockderry House
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cove
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Knockderry House Hotel? Share your experiences!