“A great place to slow down”
Review of The Only Olive

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aldona
The Only Olive
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Only Olive on invite by its owner, the very affable Mr Adrian Pinto. There for an overnighter, the homely feel and the relaxing hospitality made us overstay our welcome, without a second thought! As we arrived at the restored, old Goan cottage - that looks compact from the outside but expands all the way back into the open kitchen -- we were served the best fish curry, assorted greens from the kitchen garden and some fried fish that my friend thinks is as good as his Konkani mother-inlaw's, and that's saying a lot.

The place slowed us down for sure, even though we had a shoot just a few hours away. It was quiet, with high, tiled roofs and rooms done sparely by the owner with old furniture bought locally to retain the old Goa vibe. You won't even register anyone else around you, you might as well be alone there sitting on the porch staring at the Only Olive tree at the entrance.

Breakfast comprised eggs sunny side up with the local Goan Pao dusted with husk in the back verandah overlooking the old well from where the sweet water for the morning tea came.
Town was a beautiful 20-minute drive through quaint Goa via a narrow road along the river.

A great place for families or anyone planning an extended stay in a quiet corner of Goa.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Sincere apologies for the delay!
This place has a pure goan feel to it. Lazy and beautiful and is run by Adrian the most genuine, happy, warm and friendly person i know.Perfect example of "FEEL AT HOME" stay. Immaculately clean rooms, lip smacking food by the one and only cook Santosh, brilliant service and an extremely thoughtful host..make this place make its mark on my "sure to return" list.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2013

THIS IS MY 6TH TRIP TO THE ONLY OLIVE... THAT SAYS IT ALL.....LOVELY RIVERSIDE EXPERIENCE...ALWAYS SHOT SOME GREAT PICTURES.....WILL RECOMMEND TO ALL NATURE LOVERS.....will suggest it to all honeymooners also..the local staff at hand santosh is excellentHe cooks some awesome meals....there is an resturant in Aldona called Andron,which has really superb food...

Room Tip: the master bedroom with the bathtub is awesome.....and if u could add wi fi for the internet it woul...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank palashbandra
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Your is a record that's hard to beat (6 visits in 3 years). Appreciate your comments and the great photographs you share.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hi Adrian,
Sincere apologies for getting this out later than promised; I was laid low by a complete sense of desolation on my return and am visiting shrinks who have just one opinion – that I return for good!

The Only Olive is as you rightly stated prior to booking, a home away from home and the quietest home stay I have ever experienced and yes, Santhosh’s cheerful demeanor and culinary skills made me feel The Only Olive is just the place I needed to relax and rejuvenate.
I enjoyed those 3 days of solitude and thank you again for the tips on the restaurants, infact I loved every place beginning with Arcon, including the pub at Panjim and yes, I’ll get some Mojo the next time  I visit.
I did experiment with the crusty bread and meats and yes, it does remind me of Santhosh’s breakfast spread – but for heavens sake, I still feel you cheated me on the recipe for bhajji pav; mine plainly refuses to come out green or taste anywhere like the bhajji Santhosh and you prepared.
I want to look at booking the entire place once every year for a corporate client retreat – I am sure they’ll enjoy it as much as I do if you teach them how to fish.

Talk soon,

SinningSadhu
Stayed for 3 fun filled and adventurous days on Jan 26/27/28 and departed at noon, 29th Jan 2013.

Room Tip: No Swimming Pool but the bathtub in the master room is a must have - and there's a small loft th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sinningsadhu
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

You most welcome ! Was a pleasure having you ... Hope you enjoyed "The Experience"

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and Husband had a very pleasant stay for three days in The Only Olive.. What a getaway. So peaceful and beautiful way to take a break.We would surely love to visit soon .Thanks to Santosh and Adrian for the arrangements. Must visit place. But if you are TV freak this place is not for you,

Regards,

Mrs Deshpande

Room Tip: Have the second room in front of the dinning room. Its spacious and airy
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TANAART
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you -)) . We would love to have you over again .

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We (my husband and I) went to The Only Olive looking for some peace, quiet and greenery. Adrain promised us we'd get all of this at The Only olive. What we got was smelly, dusty and dirty rooms, musty blankets and a caretaker who could barely whip up an omelette. Worse, it seemed he couldn't care less whether we ate or went hungry.

Being a vegetarian, I had specifically clarified the matter of food with Adrian and he had assured me that the caretaker's wife was a vegetarian herself and I would have no problem on the front. He also gave glowing reviews of a local eatery. When we gave up on the resident cook and ventured out to this place, it turned out that this place was exclusively non-vegetarian. I ate a few slices of tomato and a cheese slice inside a bun that night.

What was most upsetting was Adrian refused to take our calls after we arrived there. He simply washed his hands off the entire thing. We also came to know later that Mahindra Homestays was offering a discount for the duration that we were there, but he had conveniently forgotten to mention that to us when I'd enquired about off season rates. It isn't about the money. It's about integrity. We are fairly well traveled, and this has been our sorriest experience in a homestay / bnb ever.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
15  Thank kshiti7
Reviewed November 21, 2011

A quick getaway with friends to Goa turned out to be much more than I could have ever imagined.:) :) Looking forward as I was to my friend's recommendation to stay at "the most gorgeous little homestay ever", imagine my excitement at learning about the history of the little beauty in question, a century year old Portuguese villa rescued from ruin by its wonderful new owners and lovingly restored into the treasure it is today.
Adrian and his lovely wife Vandy have painstakingly breathed new life into the Olive. Learn as I did from Adrian, the history he gladly shares of the house, the village and importantly of the delectable eating joints around the village and Goa. Give yourself up to the web he weaves of the holiday you will have, to cherish for a long time to come. Resist only the temptation to decline a second helping of the scrumptious local cuisine the resident man friday rustles up that will have you mopping up the gravy with the local poi yuummmmmm.
And come away as I did with a promise to return and (re)discover the local adventures the village has to offer; did I mention the river with crocs?

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Thank you Sonal . We would love to have you over again ! Come experience the Magic.

Been to The Only Olive? Share your experiences!