“Thank you!”
Review of The Only Olive

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aldona
The Only Olive
“Thank you!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Hi Adrian,
Sincere apologies for getting this out later than promised; I was laid low by a complete sense of desolation on my return and am visiting shrinks who have just one opinion – that I return for good!

The Only Olive is as you rightly stated prior to booking, a home away from home and the quietest home stay I have ever experienced and yes, Santhosh’s cheerful demeanor and culinary skills made me feel The Only Olive is just the place I needed to relax and rejuvenate.
I enjoyed those 3 days of solitude and thank you again for the tips on the restaurants, infact I loved every place beginning with Arcon, including the pub at Panjim and yes, I’ll get some Mojo the next time  I visit.
I did experiment with the crusty bread and meats and yes, it does remind me of Santhosh’s breakfast spread – but for heavens sake, I still feel you cheated me on the recipe for bhajji pav; mine plainly refuses to come out green or taste anywhere like the bhajji Santhosh and you prepared.
I want to look at booking the entire place once every year for a corporate client retreat – I am sure they’ll enjoy it as much as I do if you teach them how to fish.

Talk soon,

SinningSadhu
Stayed for 3 fun filled and adventurous days on Jan 26/27/28 and departed at noon, 29th Jan 2013.

Room Tip: No Swimming Pool but the bathtub in the master room is a must have - and there's a small loft th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sinningsadhu
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
You most welcome ! Was a pleasure having you ... Hope you enjoyed "The Experience"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and Husband had a very pleasant stay for three days in The Only Olive.. What a getaway. So peaceful and beautiful way to take a break.We would surely love to visit soon .Thanks to Santosh and Adrian for the arrangements. Must visit place. But if you are TV freak this place is not for you,

Regards,

Mrs Deshpande

Room Tip: Have the second room in front of the dinning room. Its spacious and airy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TANAART
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you -)) . We would love to have you over again .
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We (my husband and I) went to The Only Olive looking for some peace, quiet and greenery. Adrain promised us we'd get all of this at The Only olive. What we got was smelly, dusty and dirty rooms, musty blankets and a caretaker who could barely whip up an omelette. Worse, it seemed he couldn't care less whether we ate or went hungry.

Being a vegetarian, I had specifically clarified the matter of food with Adrian and he had assured me that the caretaker's wife was a vegetarian herself and I would have no problem on the front. He also gave glowing reviews of a local eatery. When we gave up on the resident cook and ventured out to this place, it turned out that this place was exclusively non-vegetarian. I ate a few slices of tomato and a cheese slice inside a bun that night.

What was most upsetting was Adrian refused to take our calls after we arrived there. He simply washed his hands off the entire thing. We also came to know later that Mahindra Homestays was offering a discount for the duration that we were there, but he had conveniently forgotten to mention that to us when I'd enquired about off season rates. It isn't about the money. It's about integrity. We are fairly well traveled, and this has been our sorriest experience in a homestay / bnb ever.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
15 Thank kshiti7
Reviewed November 21, 2011

A quick getaway with friends to Goa turned out to be much more than I could have ever imagined.:) :) Looking forward as I was to my friend's recommendation to stay at "the most gorgeous little homestay ever", imagine my excitement at learning about the history of the little beauty in question, a century year old Portuguese villa rescued from ruin by its wonderful new owners and lovingly restored into the treasure it is today.
Adrian and his lovely wife Vandy have painstakingly breathed new life into the Olive. Learn as I did from Adrian, the history he gladly shares of the house, the village and importantly of the delectable eating joints around the village and Goa. Give yourself up to the web he weaves of the holiday you will have, to cherish for a long time to come. Resist only the temptation to decline a second helping of the scrumptious local cuisine the resident man friday rustles up that will have you mopping up the gravy with the local poi yuummmmmm.
And come away as I did with a promise to return and (re)discover the local adventures the village has to offer; did I mention the river with crocs?

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
itsadrian, Manager at The Only Olive, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you Sonal . We would love to have you over again ! Come experience the Magic.
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I was turning 35 and I wanted this birthday to be extra special. While surfing the net I came across ‘The Only Olive’. I must confess I fell in love with name before the place. A few phone calls, tickets booked and I was off to Go-aaaaaah. As a die-hard hippie, Goa has usually been about the beach, parties, seafood, backpacker rooms whose decor was mostly a blur. This time it was going to be different.

I was going to stay in a fancy bungalow, in a quaint village called Aldona. The owner Adrian, sounded quite friendly on the phone and gave me the address of a local bar and recommended the food there. For me, it was perfect – I was going to explore a hidden Goa, find little tucked away local haunts. The words authentic, charming, experiential and real floated in my head.

Surprisingly, I wasn’t disappointed. The villa was beautiful. White, with a lovely intense green Olive Tree in front, it was postcard perfect. The first evening, I just sat on the armchair overlooking a lawn, stared at the guava, chikoo, mango trees. Said hello to the zillions of little birds with different coloured breast, who sat unafraid on electric wires and branches, viewing me with a friendly curiosity and sipped my beer.

The sun slowly set and sounds from the village prettily drifted through the air. There was a rooster who didn’t know time, sweet old ladies who smiled brightly as they walked past, the stars were blazing in the sky (Anybody who lives in Bombay, will miss stars) and the Olive Tree quietly kept me company, bringing in a gentle peace. The man Friday, Santosh made me dinner. Coconut prawn curry, rice and beans. Delicious, simple and fresh, it was like I had gone back to how life was meant to be lived.

The villa is filled with warm, earthy hues. Rusted red, bright yellows, browns, reflections of wood and my room contained similar shades. For me personally, there is something intensely soothing about these colours and my sleep that night was filled with beautiful dreams, which of course, I didn’t remember.

The next day I woke up happy. Truly happy and then after a breakfast of omelette, the Goan bun and a pot of tea I set out. The local church had the most beautiful gravestones. I stared at them a long time, trying to figure out the stories of their life from the presence of their death. A quick hello to God and then I decided to walk wherever my feet took me.

I went through many charming lanes filled with interesting houses. Some old, decrepit but with character, a few modern ghastly ones – all of them had people sitting out watching the world go by. Most of them waved out to me, asked me questions, called me in. Their curiosity was flavoured with old world hospitality and charm – of having lived a fairly innocent life. (I have a feeling I am romanticising them, but that’s how it felt).

For lunch I went to Tony’s place. A small local bar and restaurant. Tony is an ex marine engineer, friendly and typically Goan, he immediately took it upon himself to be kind to me. Placed in a little corner table, I sipped some of his Cashew feni (Specially made with spices). Trust me, it has been the smoothest feni I have ever had – the single malt of fenis. I asked him to choose my lunch and he recommended the beef roast. Tender, succulent, its yumminess still lingers in my palate memories.

Much satisfied, I went back to the villa and had another evening of sunsets, birds and Santosh’s home delicacies. For those of you who are reading this and have never experienced the Goan village life, I’d urge you to come here.

This place will pamper your body and soul and wrap you in a happiness bubble, which will linger around you, long after you’ve said goodbye.

VK Arathi Menon

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank arthmenon
Arthi ,
Waiting for you to get back . Birds , Bees and All are missing you .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldona
Seashell Beach Suites
#1 of 12 in Siolim
Casa Menezes
Casa Menezes
#1 of 2 in Goa Velha

Been to The Only Olive? Share your experiences!