“Amazing up lose experience with the New Zealand Falcon”

Wingspan National Bird of Prey Centre
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had read about Wingspan in an article on Lake Challice vineyard and did a little hunting to learn more. A year later I finally got the opportunity to visit. What a great afternoon. I never would have thought that I'd be able to hold a falcon. The staff were great and plenty of great info on these awsome birds. I can't wait to head back again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wingspan had good information about birds in general and a close up look at them in the aviaries. The demonstration and talk was particularly informative and an experience not to miss.

The kids all got to have a falcon perch on their arms while it ate from their hands (with a leather glove on of course), which is one of the highlights of our animal-loving daughter's trip.

The biggest problem (because we hadn't found anywhere for lunch first) was the lack of food available.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Karearea (NZ falcon) are rarer than kiwi and this is the place to see and interact with these special birds (and with Ruru- morepork) Every time we visit we learn more and always have an amazing encounter with the passionate advocates for the birds, and the birds themselves

2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed July 4, 2013

First time visitor to the centre. Bitterly cold day so would recommend wrapping up warm as the aviary is vey exposed. Enjoyed the flying display and staff were very passionate about their plight.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

On a recent visit to Rotorua I took a couple of hours to visit the Wingspan National Bird of Prey centre. It was great looking around their displays of various raptors and reading information regarding the program Wingspan have for rescuing and breeding of these beautiful birds - especially the New Zealand Falcon.

The special attraction is the free flight display that is done every day. Whilst this is definitely a tourist attraction the birds are flown as a regular part of their training and exercise. Our visit was a drizzly cold day which meant my friend and I were the only visitors. So how lucky were we to have our own private flight demonstration with Ossie and Millie handled by Debbie and Ineke. It was most interesting hearing all the information regarding what Wingspan is all about and finding out all the fascinating facts of what these magnificent birds are capable of. As keen photographers it was non stop clicking away which didn't stop even when Millie decided our heads made a great perch.

I thoroughly recommend a visit to Wingspan. Your entry fee will contribute to the great work they are doing and you will have a fabulous visit as well.