“Worth a visit”
Review of The Eltermere Inn

The Eltermere Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Elterwater B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has lots of charm and the bar area is cosy with an open fire warming you nicely. A piece of cake on arrival and the gingerbread in the room are delicious additions. The evening menu was varied and all dishes eaten were very well presented and tasty. The rooms were a decent size and well equipped. Also had complimentary use of the Langdale Spa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Eltermere Inn

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is furnished very tastefully, and a lot of thought has clearly gone into the design of the rooms. Service is good, with all staff friendly and helpful, and the food is of a pretty good standard too. The only gripe is with one of the meals we were served over the two days we were there, the beans served with the duck leg were undercooked and a bit hard, and the 'creamy' mashed potato had been over processed and so was a bit like thick wallpaper paste. Other than that, all meals were really good, so I'll still give it a 5 rather than a 4 simply due to the quality of everything else. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked for a meal in the evening. Was told it would be ok to bring my dog along as long as we sat in the bar area to eat.

When we got there, after quite a walk, i asked for a bowl of water for my dog. The head bar mans reply was they didn't do dog bowls. I said its fine just put it in a plastic container and his reply was its their policy not to give dogs water as it might spill!!!!!
( there wasn't even a water bowl outside).

I had been told all morning at breakfast, by the owner, how dog friendly they were only to be greeted by that comment in the evening.

For all dog lovers out there don't worry my dog didn't go without water as I gave him my water glass to drink out of!!

For all non dog lovers beware I'm sure other people that experience what I did also use the glasses for their dogs as you have no choice, so the next time you drink from this establishment remember dogs might of been drinking from the glass you are!!!

Dog friendly means exactly what it states. I've never been to anywhere that states this and then refuses our four legged friends water.

This hotel needs to decide, they either stop being greedy and saying they are dog friendly just so they don't lose business or state they don't allowed dogs.

I will not be returning and neither will my dog friendly friends!

• Stayed: March 2013
9  Thank Sammakeup
Reviewed April 5, 2013

second visit here after a splendid first visit last year. Room was fine although maid service on the first morning missed several things. the supply of soap and other toiletries was meagre to say the least and the tea tray wasn't replenished. What annoyed us the most was being charged £2.50 for an extra "basket of bread" at dinner when all it consisted of was four small slices of some fancy white and brown bread. there wasn't enough toast to go with the pate in the first place. Meal prices have rocketed and the quality has dropped. First class location however. there obviously hasn't been any decorating done during the winter as the stair to the top floor are badly marked. a coat of emulsion would go along way.

Room Tip: i'm sure they are all good. Some have a bath but no shower. Check if you are fussy
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nick4725
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have visited The Eltermere for dinner on several occasions. The location is perfect and the ambiance welcoming. The food is always of an outstanding quality and the staff pleasant and chatty. I strongly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This country inn hotel is family run and is located in the small village of Elterwater on the approach to the Langdale Valley. My wife and I have just returned from a romantic easter 3 night stay at this hotel. We made the reservation through their web site and booked a very nice double room (the Robin Ghyll). Upon arrival, we were ushered into a sitting room, the log fire was lit for us and we were served complimentary coffee with a slice of homemade sponge cake which was a nice touch. We found the staff to be both friendly and helpful. The hotel itself has approximately 12 guest rooms, a bar, a restaurant, a sitting room, a lounge and a dining room. The bar is very attractive and has a large open fireplace as a centre piece. This bar area has a real rustic charm. The hotel serves meals either in the bar or in the dining room which is a little more formal. The food here is excellent. Breakfast is served in the dining room. It is clear that the hotel buys high quality local produce since the food is fresh and so full of flavour. Evening meals are equally impressive with a good selection on the menu accompanied by a separate specials board. The wine list is well stocked. We both looked forward to the evening meal and a bottle of wine after a day in the fells. The other point to make is that the peace and quiet of this location is astonishing. After you turn in of an evening, you tend to hear.....nothing. It really is a peaceful, relaxing place. We found the owner to be very friendly and helpful as nothing seemed too much trouble. He is clearly an experienced hotelier and wants his guests to have an enjoyable stay, which we did. This is not a hotel for people on a tight budget. However, if you are a lover of the fells but like a little luxury to come back to in the evening, then this hotel is a good recommendation. We will be more than happy to return later in the year for another relaxing break. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Use the hotel's web site to see the different rooms.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I dont normally write reviews on trip advisor, especially bad ones as I would normally move on. After staying their this weekend I needed to post about how rude the owner and some staff are.

We arrived Friday night after spending a lot of money for a 2 night stay with my partner and our dog in what was meant to be a dog friendly hotel. We were not very well greeted by a blonde girl. She didnt smile or say welcome which was strange. Nice young brunette girl took us to our room and first night was ok.

Went down for breakfast in morning and was rudely told that dogs arent allowed in, though not told at time of booking so we couldnt have breakfast there, she didnt apologise and stood their straight faced so we left.

Came back after being out all day to find the maid had done our room, nicely by the way but had binned our dogs food which was chicken. I went down and spoke to the lad there who was a nice fella. He got me chicken breast n said they would do same in morning.

Went down in morning and new staff there, explained what happened when first woman said she wouldnt of binned nothing unless it was in bin to which I responded well it has been binned. She then went n got the owner who was so rude it was unbeleivable, came over and stood looking at me and said yes after a 10 second.silence. I explained to her the situation to which she rudely responded it wasnt binned to which I said it was and she then tried to have a debate with me on this and said she will get me a chicken leg as that was binned, I said it wasnt it was chicken breast love, she said Dont call me love, I said you are very rude, Ur staff has binned one of my items so try having some sincerity to which she walked off..I got chicken finally then went to room and checked out about hour later.

I said to her if I was to complain who would I complain to, she said Im the owner, I said no point complaining to her then to which she said go on totripadvisor then as I thought u would of anyway! I said she is a joke and needs to grow up and then she thanked me and said dogs are now banned! I said I will make sure none of my friends come here and she said she doesnt want anyone like us in her inn.

I have since received emails off the owners husband swearing in the email and still trying to carry this on.

Disgusting

14  Thank Michaelsize
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elterwater
Langdale Hotel
Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Holbeck Ghyll Country House
#13 of 20 in Windermere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Eltermere Inn? Share your experiences!