“First Visit--A Little Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Helen's Fine Dining

Helen's Fine Dining
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Helen's Restaurant is the perfect place for a truly fine dining experience. Helen's continues the tradition of offering an upscale dining experience in a rustic setting with unique food that cannot be found anywhere else on the mountain. The menu at Helen’s features fresh creations from local ingredients.We take great care in carrying on longstanding traditions served alongside fresh presentations featuring locally sourced ingredients.
West Virginia
“First Visit--A Little Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

First off, I think the setting of this restaurant is charming. Quaint stone, timber building right next to the lodge and ski slopes. We entered into the bar area where a pianist was playing a variety of old standards. Nice, warm atmosphere. Had a reservation, so we were a bit bummed when we had to wait 35 minutes to be seated-- we were told "they had been slammed earlier and it was really crazy". Didn't mind the wait, until it took 10 minutes standing at the bar to be served. One bartender--no help. Eventually got a glass of wine and found a corner to stand in while we waited for our table. We were seated in the back of the restaurant and as we were walking to be seated heard three different tables complaining about their food, service, or both. (Our server was a very nice, friendly guy, so no complaints there.) The food, for the price, was a bit disappointing. We elected to have one of Helen's signature dishes, the table side prepared Ceasar Salad only to be told 5 minutes later that they were out of Ceasar Salad. Really? Out of lettuce? One fo your "signature dishes?". We all passed on the salad and opted for soup. I will say that the Butternut Squash soup was delicious and apparently the crab bisque was also quite good. Ordered a $40 New York Strip Steak that came with about 4 brussel spouts. Steak was cooked medium--turned out dry. Not worth the money. Had to ask for bread, otherwise would have left hungry. This place has potential, but honestly I get the feeling that they've got a captive audience at the lodge and they are the only fine dining there, so you have to take what you get.....I know I won't be making a trip back anytime soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7SpringsMtnResort, Public Relations Manager at Helen's Fine Dining, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Helen's Guest,

It is verydisappointing to hear that we did not exceed a guest's expectations. It is especially disappointing to hear that we did not make a good first impression. Your specific comments regarding your reservation delay and lack of bread service indicate we didn't execute the basics of guest service much less provide you with a legendary service experience.

Our Director of Restaurants, Traci Mannino, would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further. If you could please contact her either by email at tmannino@7springs.com or by calling 814-352-7777 extension 7402. Thank you!

Cincinnati
“Perfect Way To End A Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We chose Helen's for the last night of our vacation. The ambiance was quaint but elegant. White linens and all. I enjoyed a light Pinot Grigio while Hubby sipped one of the best Manhattans he's ever had. We started dinner with the spinach salad and the crab bisque. Both delicious. Hubby ordered the Elk Loin and I ordered the Mountain Trout. The Elk was tasty, marinated in wine. The trout was fresh and flaky and reminded me of the trout my grandfather used to catch in the mountain streams nearby. The portions were a perfect size and left us able to enjoy a wonderful chocolate dessert. Service was friendly, efficient, and not overbearing. I recommend Helen's to anyone who enjoys fine dining. It's a delightful way to end a vacation.

Visited February 2013
Dear Helen's Guests,

Thank you for dining with us! I'm pleased that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you for taking the time to post such nice comments. We look forward to your next visit!
pittsburgh
“Overpriced and underfed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have a season pass at Seven Springs and have been going to the resort my entire life. We eat at the lodge most days, but decided to treat ourselves to Helen's for lunch today. HUGE mistake. The restaurant is beautiful and so cozy. Three of us walked in to the room, with two empty tables. We were told that it would be about twenty minutes for the tables to be cleared. It took about ten minutes for our table to be cleared.

I decided to have soup and salad – the crab bisque and the Firefly Farms Beet and Asparagus Salad. I was hungry enough for a soup and salad. The waitress brought the 'salad,' which was clearly not a salad. There was one piece of asparagus, nicely sliced, seventeen small cubes of beets (there were so few that I could actually count them), a couple crumbles of goat cheese, and one leafy pea tendril. It was good, but literally took me four bites to eat. I was shocked and amazed that Seven Springs actually serves that as a salad. The worse part, the 'salad' was $9.00, and not worth a single bite. The soup was good, but not as good as it has been in the past I've heard that Helen's food quantity has really gone downhill and I cannot recommend anyone to eat there. Yes, the place is beautiful, but three of us left there, having spent approximately $70 (there were two glasses of wine), and we were all starving when we walked out. The waitress told us that the executive chef, who had been there for over 25 years 'left' over the summer, and the change is evident and unfortunate.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jewelz64
Connellsville, Pennsylvania
“Log cabin sitting on a ski slope what is wrong?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The food is just not good at all. With the cash the owners of Seven Springs has you'd think they would know that this place is serving garbage. This place could be packed but you would never eat here twice.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Pops2023
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great night out at Helen's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Perfect date night destination, or fun with small group. Great atmosphere, especially cozy in the winter. Also a great food and wine selection.

Visited June 2012