“Oulton Hall Wedding Experience :(”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Leeds, West Yorkshire
“Oulton Hall Wedding Experience :(”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Along with a 2 night stay we had our wedding at Oulton Hall and can only say we left feeling quite short changed. Given that Oulton Hall boasted to be the only five star hotel in Yorkshire at the time and taking into consideration the amount we paid to hold our relatively small wedding at Oulton Hall it was fair to say we had high (but fair) expectations for our big day.

THE HOTEL - The communal areas of the hotel are decorated to a high standard although I have to agree with some reviews that the standard does drop a little once you get to the actual bedrooms. Saying this there is nothing essentially wrong with them but for a 5 star I have seen better. The standard rooms are particularly boxy and have about as much character as your usual budget hotel chain room, we had one of the suites which we found spacious and grand although if I had to grumble I would perhaps say the room looked a little tired looking to warrant the full room rate price.

Our experience of the hotel staff was very mixed. We found some of the staff very friendly, chatty and helpful although others came across as a little snooty, uninterested and could have done with trying a smile once in a while.

The food away from the wedding was fine but pricey given the quality and the service in both the restaurant and bar was painfully slow.

THE WEDDING - The service we received from Oulton Hall in relation to the actual wedding was far from the expected given the price we paid for the privileged of holding it at Oulton Hall. It was more a build up of little things than one big thing...

In one instance where we were required to book a pre wedding appointment a member of staff actually called an hour before the appointment was due to start to actually tell us they would be cancelling the appointment and we would need to rearrange. On this note I should also add there was no apology and the member of staff also added that the wedding co-ordinator was very busy therefore it would be required to rearrange the appointment for a weekday to fit in with limited spaces in the wedding co-ordinators diary. Considering they actually cancelled the appointment I thought it was a cheek to expect us to book time off work to fit in with them!

Our events manager was a rare sighting. Like others was told we would be contacted a week before the wedding by the events manager to discuss any details (table plan, layout, decorations, ceremony music etc) and hand over any items they would need for setting up on the day. The events manager never did contact us despite me trying to chase him up 2 days before the wedding, it did turn out that the events manager was around as we arrived the eve of the wedding although he was too busy to spare us any significant time so merely said he would come to see us the morning of the wedding to go through everything. He materialised the morning of the wedding an hour and a half before the ceremony to go through these details. Thinking nothing of his late arrival I was left with little choice but to stand there (hair half done and make-up barely there) walking him through the ins and outs of every last detail as he'd also "misplaced" the pre wedding notes. As a result of all this we lost a lot of time in the morning, the photographer was unable to do a lot of the getting ready photo's he would normally do with the bride and bridesmaids and perhaps as the bride I'm biased but did anyone else have visions of more glamorous and enjoyable things to do the morning of their wedding than go through detailed conversations of table plans etc with the events manager or is that just me?! I almost feel they took advantage of the fact we paid nearly £300 to stop at the hotel the night before the wedding as I can't help but think when exactly they'd have sorted all this out if we hadn't have stayed over.

We'd also confirmed in the pre wedding appointment that the hotel would be able to offer us storage space for the wedding items although again was let down on this too. When we arrived staff basically told us we would have to keep everything in our room. This was everything including the flowers and the cake that we were originally told could be kept safely in the kitchen but instead ended up in the wardrobe of our suite the day before the wedding. I wasn't exactly happy with this as I was really worried the icing on the cake was going to melt in our hot room and due to the temperature the flowers did wilt a little although I was even less happy about it when I bumped into the other bride for the day who told me she got offered plenty of storage space for her items and they were all taken off her the day before the wedding so she obviously got a far more relaxing build up to her big day than I did!

We hired a number of chairs direct through Oulton Hall for the day at a cost of over £100 although nearly a quarter of the chairs we ordered were not delivered. As a result hotel staff just left guests to stand at the back of the room for the ceremony. It also meant we had a load of odd chairs for the wedding breakfast too, not quite the look I was going for and needless to say we are still to this day waiting on any kind of refund for the chairs we never received.

The service for the wedding breakfast was a bit of a embarrassment. For a start parts of the meal were actually different from the one's we had sampled and chosen for the wedding breakfast. Whilst serving the wedding breakfast I overheard one of the staff clearly saying how understaffed they were for our wedding and commenting on how they couldn't believe they were getting away with it - I wouldn't exactly say they were getting away with it, the lack of service clearly showed at various points and given that we had paid £90 per person for the meal alone couldn't believe they didn't even supply enough staff to cater for our wedding. Even though I had clearly marked the vegetarian guest on the plan given to the events manager that morning they attempted to serve her three times with a meat meal before finally serving her the correct vegetarian option, this had taken so long that the rest of her table had practically finished their meal by the time she started hers. To add insult to injury the guests that had beef for main found themselves being asked if they would like horseradish sauce to accompany their meal after they had actually finished the meal. Most of the kids ended up eating the adult meal despite arranging a kids menu with the wedding co-ordinator in advance of the day.

The table arrangements I had for the evening never did make it to the tables and staff were clueless as to where they were despite me handing them over to the events manager that morning.

We had a lovely card along with chocolates left for us in the room from what I assume was the manager at Oulton Hall. On the surface this seemed a nice touch until I started reading the card and realised it was actually addressed to another couple congratulating them on their anniversary, at the very least I thought they'd be able to get our names and room number right, is it really too much to ask when you're folking out a small mortgage for the event?! Needless to say I ate the chocolates anyway so apologise to anyone reading this who may still be awaiting their chocolates... There was also a number of small things from the wedding package that were missing on the day such as the red carpet which admittedly not the end of the world although it was promised and would have been nice for the photo's.

We were charged £1000 for a room hire fee on the day although had hotel guests and guests from the other wedding constantly popping in. We felt like the guests from the other wedding were almost popping in to compare notes and thought this was a little unreasonable when we had paid so much for the space which we had understood to be for the use of our guests only not anyone who just fancied popping in!

I should just mention that a lot of these issues were actually forwarded to Oulton Hall after the wedding and although it was promised that they would look into them six months have passed since and I have yet to hear anything back...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
32 Thank BeachBunny24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2010

We made a fatal mistake of looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor after we had booked and nearly cancelled. It was 10 years since our last stay at Oulton Hall and we had a great time then and so we thought well, for £ 129 for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast, what have we got to lose? It is a fabulous building with plenty of parking - which couldn't have been better signed had there been somebody stood there with a placard. A previous reviewer had said the parking wasn't easy to find???? The reception area is clean and very imposing and all the staff are well turned out, very polite and extremely helpful and we were checked in with no fuss at all. It was quite a treck to the room but in a hotel of this size that is sometimes to be expected. The room itself was large and clean. The bathroom was large enough but could do with a little updating. Nothing offensive lurking in the corners though, so all good so far. The furniture is a little scuffed and perhaps could do with updating at some time but again, it does the job. Certainly didn't spoil the stay as it did for some others on this site. The couple we went with said their bed was a little on the hard side but ours was fine. Had a meal in the Calverley Grill at night. Fantastic service, not rushed at all even though we were late going in (our fault, we carried away with champagne before the meal). The food was lovely, well presented and the protions more than adequate. On the whole I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a nice break away. Get a good deal and you're laughing. The people who have complained about this hotel are probably the sort of people who would moan in their own homes. Go there, you won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Lancashire
Reviewed November 9, 2010

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel I nearly went elsewhere, but my husband for the first time said he wanted to take me here...
I got a fantastic deal £119 which included dinner B&B yes for two of us!!!!
The hotel - The hotel downstairs was amazing really nice 5* the bar was expensive £4.80 a bottle of beer but the bar had a romantic atmosphere.
The rooms - This is the area which let the hotel down but to be honest they were ok a little shabby but clean.
Food- outstanding and the service was great
So all in all well worth the money we paid. If we had paid more than £200 for this night I might of been disappointed.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Although the hotel was clean, the rooms was okay, pretty low standard to be honest , SKY TV, WIFI and Playstation was an optional extra. I don't know where they dream some of the prices up on the room service - £10 for a Bacon sandwhich, i hope that's gold plated! The pipework in the room was noisey and knocked constantly which kept us awake all night. The walls was paper thin and we could hear EVERYTHING that was done and said in the room next to us. The final straw was when we finally did try to get some sleep room service wanted to come in and start on the room banging on the door at 8:30am!!! To be very honest, we wouldn't stay there ever again. I put sleep quality 1 out of 5 cause i couldn't leave a 0.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adieh5
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed a one night spa break with 3 friends, we booked through an offer on Travelzoo, our rooms were lovely and spacious, food was delicious. We couldn't believe what a bargain we had got and would quite happily have paid twice the price we did.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Stayed here from 17th - 20th October for a price of £255. Those people who moan about the hotel don't seem to understand that if you stay at a Grade II Listed, old fashioned stately home you are not going to get boutique, state of the art facilities. If you want that then don't stay here. This is our third stay in a De Vere hotel and we were well satisfied. The staff were lovely. None of them passed us by without a polite greeting and all were very well turned out and helpful. The room was clean and adequate. The Leisure Club was well equipped and spotlessly clean. The choice of breakfast was well presented and varied. We did not have dinner or drinks at the hotel - we knew we would not be able to afford them. The prices were as you would expect in a 4* british hotel - if you don't like the prices then stay elsewhere. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
sheffield
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Stayed here one night spa package including dinner & b & b - cost £323 for two of us.
Staff were great no complaints there, the two therapists that gave us a massage were fantastic, great massage in lovely surroundings. Didnt use the pool etc but we saw it and it looked lovely.
Complaints: The cost included an upgrade to a 'deluxe room'. There was nothing deluxe about it, very tired looking, not luxurious at all. The TV's in the rooms are about twenty years old! It cost around £50 for the upgrade and to be honest if you are going I wouldnt bother with that. You do get crisps and two miniature baileys but thats about it!! I have stayed in much better hotels.
My main gripe is that they tell you dinner is included but they dont tell you it is a very limited menu, you cannot order off the main menu which is a bit irritating as I dont eat meat and all the nice fish dishes are on the proper menu apart from salmon which I didnt want. If you order from the regular menu they allow you £30 each but with a steak being £35 it doesnt really get you far. My sea bass cost about £30. My fish was nice and my partners steak was also nice but the rest of the meal wasn't. The veg was overcooked (bizarrly only got carrots and that was it!) and we sent the chips back as they tasted as if they had been fried about three times in old fat. The potatoes they replaced them with were not nice either.
The breakfast looked good but it was all cold and the service was lacking. We waited around ten minutes before we went and found a waitress and asked for our pot of tea.
All in all I was a bit disappointed and although I hoped for a luxury break it wasnt what I got.
The main areas in the hotel are lovely, the reception and the bars etc are really nice. It wouldnt take much to re-vamp this hotel but it is definately lacking the luxury touches that other hotels provide as a matter of course.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!