“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I would just like to say thank you to the staff more specifically Rashid. The Sunday lunch was an absolute treat, we had an enjoyable day the staff made us feel comfortable and they were attentive to our needs made us feel just like home as me and my partner don’t really get out to fancy places much. Will definitely be making an effort to going again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Reading the previous post I wonder if this is the same hotel we stayed in last weekend? Our 'delux' room didn't have any view. Dark dim - the worst. Couldn't see to get dressed. Totally inadequate lighting. Bathroom antique. Tiling we used to have in the late 70's. Old cast iron bath and not even a mixer tap. Needs refurbishing. Was told this room was refurbished 4 yrs ago! If this is delux with tatty stained carpet, single old wardrobe, no suitcase stand etc, then I dread to think what an ordinary room would be like. Booked this with Devere themselves on a winter package, first night including dinner.
Dinner well - 3 choices on the package. Pork, chicken and cod! Paid £5 extra for a few sprigs of broccoli and £5 for a few chips. Cod & chips at fish shop would be much more appealing. Very dry chicken, no sauces or gravy.

Lovely pub nearby in walking distance - The Three Horseshoes. Had T.Bone and lamb shank on our second night, including veg and all the trimmings. Excellent cheap food here. Oh and they have a puffing shed complete with heater! Toby carvery just up the road.

Smokers beware .... Long walk from the rooms to reception at front of house. Don't stand too close to doorways. I had an argument with a member of staff and was abruptly told to move 2 lampposts away from the door of the spa in the pouring rain and I was outside. Spent a fortune on spa treatments but what the heck, this is how they treat you. I did feel uneasy outside in the dark having a rare smoke, as there are rat poison boxes everywhere. Outer doors tend to be locked at 10pm, the spa at 9pm. Main reception always open. Do a Marriot, much better and they provide smoking rooms.
Won't be back. Worst 4* room I have ever stayed in. Premier Inn much more modern. And to cap it all, they hit us with a service charge - God knows for what.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Devere Slaley Hall if you must do your golfing up north.
2 Thank leckco
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Visited as part of an online promotion. Hotel used to be an old statley home and has been restored by De vere . Lovely grounds and leisure facilities are available to guests , with spa treatments available at extra cost. One word of warning, food is good, but be prepared to pay top whack for wine , coffee etc.
Nearby temple newsum hall worth a visit.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Have stayed in this hotel a few times, and on all occasions it had been a fantastic stay. A treat for my wife and me away from the kids..!! We generally try and stay in one of the rooms in the original building if they are available. The room are very plush, and our overlooked the golf course.
They have a fantastic leisure centre, with pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. They also have a spa, which you can book yourself into.
For drinking there is the champagne bar, can be quite expensive though. Also have a good choice of dining option, formal or informal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My husband and I had really enjoyed our one nights stay last week. I have been a tripadvisor fan for many many years, and do not book anywhere without checking views on this site beforehand. I booked through secret escapes and paid £ 99 for dinner bed and breakfast for two people. I requested an upgraded room by email before we arrived. On arrival we were shown to our room which was very nice. The bed was massive lovely quality bedding and really warm duvet. The bathroom was not luxurious but certainly adequate. The one thing I would definitely ask the management to do urgently , is to explain to all staff and customers exactly what allowance they have towards their food bill. We were certainly confused. We ate in the Claret Jug. Our three course meal was very hot ( to me VERY important and a sign of a guide restaurant ) and delicious.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 124 on the first floor . Nice and quiet and very near pool. I ordered breakfast in...
1 Thank kaldoc
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Booked a two night stay a week before Christmas to include New Year’s Eve, with first night including bottle of wine and 2 course meal for 2 in Calverley Grill. As I was booking for New Year, I dealt with the resort office rather than central bookings. I was persuaded to upgrade to the chambre unique room at a cost of an extra £30 per night and as I am picky about my rooms, I didn't want to get a tatty room so agreed. I was a bit concerned about the efficiencies of the hotel as despite repeated requests I received no formal notification of my booking, although my card was charged £507 immediately for the 2 night stay( as you can see not cheap).
Arrived at the hotel mid-afternoon on the 30th, at the same time as another party who were offered a free upgrade to the room type I had just parted with £60 for- ah well, not a good start.

On a positive note, the hotel public areas were beautifully dressed for the festive period, lots of atmosphere, even later on in the evening which was great. Yes, drinks not cheap but I expected this. The spa and pool was very nice, although not much space around pool to sit.

The Chambre unique-not huge, but nice refurbishment, with all the additional bits of fancy coffee machines, sound systems, but a rubbish view, free bottle of wine was there on arrival, the bathroom was poor, very small, shower over bath, cheap and nasty make over- black school toilet lids.

It was the dining room which let down the stay. Breakfasts were fine but the meals on both evenings were below standard. On the first night, our deal was 2 courses with the value of £21 which you could also offset against the a la carte menu. We decided to stick with the fixed menu but the food was poor quality. I had the chicken which was very dry, and the rosti potato was overcooked, the husband’s beef was very tough. I ordered a sweet and we waited 20 minutes for it. It also annoys me that they add service charge to the final bill without any consultation.
For the gala dinner, we were in the Calverley restaurant. As the beef had been poor on the previous evening, we ordered the lobster/cod dish. There were many delays in serving and when we finally got the main course, it was difficult to find any lobster and it was like another course of soup. We then noticed that people who got the lobster after us had correct portions of fish. Like other guests I complained to the maître d’ and the desk the following morning, and we received some recompense for this but would we rush back, not sure. Lovely hotel let down by something as basic as this? We are off to Slaley Hall later this month and I hope it’s a better experience

Room Tip: when booking, ask for a separate shower rather than one over bath
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whitleygirl
Nottingham
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We booked a two night stay, very last minute for New Years Eve and Jan 1st at just over £500. For this we were to receive a champagne and canape reception and gala dinner with live entertainment on New Years Eve, and breakfast on the two mornings.
Our room was an upgraded Chambre Unique room which was fine.
Everything was ok until the champagne reception. We had to queue for 10 minutes for half a glass of warm sparkling wine, the waiter had run out and when I enquired about the problem, I was told that some people had had more than one glass so he had run out. We didn't see any canapes so can't comment.
Dinner was in the Charvellry restaurant, which was beautifully decorated, although far too many tables were in there, making it virtually impossible for waiters to serve between tables.

To cut a long and sorry story short, the service was totally inadequate, far too few staff for the number of guests. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes between starter and main course. Everyone else had been served. We could not get bread, although was promised it four times. My husbands hot fish main course was icy cold in the middle and looked like it had been dumped on the plate. I was constantly being knocked by passing waiters as I was on the main route to the kitchen.
We had pre-ordered champagne which was placed in a wine bucket away from our table, and we could not get anyone to serve it to us. It was also warm. At £68 a bottle I would have expected chilled champagne.
We tried to complain but was told the restaurant manager was dealing with a problem in the kitchen!
As an upshot, there was no-one to voice our complaints to, so we checked out first thing in the morning.
This is a beautiful looking hotel, but feel that they got it totally wrong for New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NottinghamDenise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Walton
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!