We booked a two night stay, very last minute for New Years Eve and Jan 1st at just over £500. For this we were to receive a champagne and canape reception and gala dinner with live entertainment on New Years Eve, and breakfast on the two mornings.
Our room was an upgraded Chambre Unique room which was fine.
Everything was ok until the champagne reception. We had to queue for 10 minutes for half a glass of warm sparkling wine, the waiter had run out and when I enquired about the problem, I was told that some people had had more than one glass so he had run out. We didn't see any canapes so can't comment.
Dinner was in the Charvellry restaurant, which was beautifully decorated, although far too many tables were in there, making it virtually impossible for waiters to serve between tables.
To cut a long and sorry story short, the service was totally inadequate, far too few staff for the number of guests. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes between starter and main course. Everyone else had been served. We could not get bread, although was promised it four times. My husbands hot fish main course was icy cold in the middle and looked like it had been dumped on the plate. I was constantly being knocked by passing waiters as I was on the main route to the kitchen.
We had pre-ordered champagne which was placed in a wine bucket away from our table, and we could not get anyone to serve it to us. It was also warm. At £68 a bottle I would have expected chilled champagne.
We tried to complain but was told the restaurant manager was dealing with a problem in the kitchen!
As an upshot, there was no-one to voice our complaints to, so we checked out first thing in the morning.
This is a beautiful looking hotel, but feel that they got it totally wrong for New Year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Oulton Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall & Spa Yorkshire