“Not value for money”

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
“Not value for money”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Poor room not re-furnished as promised, one plus was a very comfy bed. Ate in the restaurant both nights, couldn't eat my steak, complaint handled well. Breakfast was fine but not enough staff at busy times. Leisure Centre not big enough.
Top price, we left very disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rachel R, Director of Sales at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Dabren1963

Many thanks for your review. We value all comments and I am sorry your stay was not in one of the refurbished rooms as promised. I do hope that should you find yourself in the area you will contact me to arrange a repeat stay so i can ensure you get to experience the new rooms. We don’t want any guest to leave disappointed and I hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate this was an isolated experience.
kind regards RachelR
Please email me to arrange your next stay on rachel.riches@devere-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I booked in for one night for our anniversary, I upgraded to a suite, room 104 the Wensleydale Suite in the Old Hall, it is in fact above reception. My first challenge was finding a car park space within reasonable distance of reception, failing to do this I dropped my wife off first and then went in search of a space, failing to find one I double parked and went in to reception to update my wife. The concerige helpfully took my keys and said he would park it leaving the keys at reception. Not totaly what I wanted but a solution.
Our room was big and came with a four poster and firm mattress which didnt do my wife any favours it was too hard for her. The handle on the loo flush sometimes was loose and wouldnt flush for some time. It was v warm in the room so we searched out and found the thermostat control on the wall which we knocked down. We still had a v warm night, in the morning and by accident I found the radiators had independent radiator thermostats on which we could have turned off.

At this point let me say my wife has only ever returned a meal once in her life and is generally very easy to please with menus.

As Devere customers/owners I receive offers and so it was with this initial booking, I had purchased a package including a 2 course dinner in their restaurant just below us. I tried to use the telephones in the room to ring reception but couldnt use either of them. The speed button to reception just didnt work so i ended up wandering down stairs that is after the bride from the wedding party had finished having her photos took on the stairs which she was spread accross, she did move to one side to allow me by when she could.

We went to the restarant and was oferred a fixed menu of 2 course options as part of our package or £21 each off the main menu which is what we did. There was nothing on the fixed menu that interested us. Indeed there was nothing on the starter list my wife could choose so we went straight into mains saving room for pudding. The menu is said to be fine dining and I think part of the problem for us and my wife in particular was the added "flavours" turning something we/she could eat into something too off beat. We ordered a drink and the sommelier was asked what gins they stocked, he could only remember Bombay Sapphire, we ordered a double it came as a single. I ordered the scallops and pasta in coral sauce which was fine, the scallops were very nice, some edible flowers added variety to the meal. My wife played safe and ordered the ribeye steak cooked medium. It looked odd and I said to her is that a ribeye? it looked like a "beef steak" and her face said it all, it was v tough so tough she wanted to spit it out. I tried a piece and it was v tough. She couldnt eat it and we sent it back with the advice as above. The waitress asked if she wanted anything else but she had been put off and didnt order a replacement. The head waiter came over (didnt get his name but he said he is from Surrey) and he was lovely. He handled us both very well, took interest in our concern and on hearing it was our anniversay brought us a glass of bubbly each on the house which was a v nice gesture. he took the meal off our bill. We ordered a dessert, my wife wasnt finding anything grabbing her on the dessert menu but in order to keep me company ordered the cheesecake, this ocmes with a Rhubarb compot which she had changed to cream which they did no problem. In her words it was a very ordinary cheesecake and she only ate about a third of it. i ordered the cheese plate which was great with a good selection and good sized portions plus excellent "chutney". It was served with no advice what the cheeses were which would have been nice. I asked the sommelier what the cheeses were and he didnt know and started reeling off the top of his head cheeses he know they stocked.

We finished our meal and asked for the bill. The system was down so we said we would sort it out in the morning when we check out. When we did there was £26 on the bill for wine. We hadnt had wine. I queried it and the receptionist looked it up and told me the name of the wine we were supposed to have had, I reinforced we hadnt had any wine and she took it off the bill.

Breakfast was good, lots of hot and cold options, I had the smoked fish and poached egg which I enjoyed. I went to ht ebuffett before hand for fresh pineapple, there was a name plate for it but on the two occaisions I got up to get some there was no pineapple, there were other empty bowls too so I had something else.

The final straw to date is that Devere sent me an on line survey to complete which I did to give them this feedback in effort to help them and agreed to be contacted by their management to discuss my feedback. Week and a half later no one has been in touch. Not quite there Oulton Hall.

Room Tip: The email offer to upgrade to a suite is genuine and good value, our room was huge and we did feel l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rmdgy
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We went to the hotel as day guests to use the spa and gym facilities, but after our experience we were glad we weren't staying if the rest of the hotel is of this poor overall standard. We got off to a reasonable start on arrival and were offered a drink in the bar/cafe area, although this was very dark with black slate wallpaper, a drab theme that was continue in much of the facilitiy. We were given our complimentary robes and slippers. The slippers were way too small for my feet, but when we asked if we could get a bigger pair we were told they only came in one size (and more or less tough luck - a theme little did we know then would continue). The dark dingey changing rooms were cold, particularly the gents which was like walking into a chiller. They had experienced some form of flood with damp and wet towels strewn on the floor and overflowing from the towel bin. When I queried this with the reception I was told they were aware of the problem with the temperature in the gents and acknowledged my observations about the complete mess in there. To be fair the time we'd used the gym the changing rooms were tidied up, but alas no action on the heating situation in there and this was still not rectified hours later. The gym was reasonable size for a hotel, if not limited on fixed upper body weight machines and with just one cross trainer. The pool area was nice (and warm) if not dull and dark as with the other areas. We managed to get messed up on our treatment times, which didn't really add to the relaxing time we'd intended. The complimentary gown was pretty small fitting and very short in the arms. again when questioned I was told by the reception staff that they were all one size (they said XL, but I'm only a medium frame and it was small for me!) They did offer for me to try another, but this was the same size. But, the treatments were pretty good, if not cut short and a little spoilt as I felt frustrated with the whole place before i went in. The relaxation area after the treatment was a very black and dark affair and not at all relaxing as other guests insisted on talking in loudish voices. So we retreated to the much warmer and slightly quieter poolside area. The pol is a reasonable size, as are the steam and sauna areas. The showers had mold on the ceiling, a broken lock on the door and a broken soap dispenser. Other than that it was fine, but overall not the nice relaxing experience we were after or in deed should have expected from a hotel of this standard. Needless to say we won't be rushing back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DNA149
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just arrived after a 5 hour drive and reception staff soo friendly and patient as I want to see a couple of rooms so I can choose my upgrade options. I love a bath so the chambres min this time but the suites are def for me for our next stay. Love the baileys and hot choc touch, thankyou. And the club sandwich and champas in chapagne bar are superb. A stylish and welcoming hotel

• Stayed November 2013
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We booked for one night to attend an event happening at this hotel. Booking was quick and easy and check in was the same. The hotel is a beautiful stately home and, upon close inspection, looks as it it has been spruced up in recent years (I have been before.). Our room was on the second floor and was large in size with all of the basic ammenities you would expect, including wifi. The room had a nice modern tv, comfortable bed, kettle and fridge. The bathroom was large with seperate tub and shower. Our main complaint was the shower as it has not been thoufgt out well and my husband flooded the bathroom when he had a shower!

Nesides the main event, we did use the Champagne Bar at the end of our evening which had nice, comfy seating areas and the resturant for a nice breakfast in the morning.

Check out was quick and professional.

We were very happy with our stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
East Anglia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at De Vere Oulton Hall for one night. Whilst only an overnight stay, we left feeling relaxed having had a great day. We stopped off for the night after staying at another De Vere hotel which hadn't met our expectations. Oulton Hall was great. The check in was swift, the staff friendly and warm, the room was nicely decorated and the pool was lovely and warm. The spa facilities have been re-modelled since our last stay and I have to say they look great. We had an evening meal at the Claret Jug - the food was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Absolutely fantastic this hotel has the lot excellant service staff. We were here for a friends wedding and found the food is second to none and nothing is ever a problem,
The prices are a wee bit high and rooms are to a very high standard
On the whole a very beautiful place very clean, nice grounds, only slight thing would have to be we eat in the main room next to the champs bar but the evening part of the wedding was a 3 mins wak away but this was not clear. as its darker now very poor lighting to get ther and had to kind of guess where you were stepping
Apart from this I would return and tell everyone to visit such a beautiful place, staff amazing 100% will return
Thanks

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!