“Amazing Experience”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at Oulton Hall for a 1 night break and everything was perfect. The room was beautiful - I had contacted the hotel before we arrived to request a nice room as it was a treat for my wife's birthday, and the very helpful receptionist, Gina, promised she would arrange this for me and make the team aware it was my wife's birthday. When we arrived, there was a birthday card in the room, which was a lovely thought, and when we went for our delicious meal in the Calverley Grill, there was a glass of champagne waiting for us to celebrate. It is nice touches like this which set a hotel apart and leave you with an excellent lasting memory of your time there.

To sum up, the hotel was beautiful, the food delicious, the leisure facilities excellent and the room amazing. As others have mentioned on here, the drinks can be a little pricey, but you expect that when you stay at such a lovely hotel. Ignore the moaners who pick on ridiculous things in their reviews, Oulton Hall is an amazing experience and one which my wife and I will definitely be repeating!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear mrmjdickinson

Thank you for your kind review.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay for your wife's birthday and the team looked after you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

sauna broken - swimming pool not working - steam room wrong temperature - womans swimming costume dryer broken - dirty - lockers annoying - staff use family changing - when booked with guests for spa, hotel changes mens and womans changing rooms around because womans ones are normally rubbish citing ' maintanence' although nothing is ever fixed. has been the same for last year.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank ben d
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My new wife had booked us a package deal to stay here for a night following our honeymoon to prolong our celebrations. This included a 30 minute back, neck and shoulder massage each, a meal in the Calverly Grill restaurant and one night B&B for £145.

The 18th century hotel building is beautiful and the standards of decor in the hotel and the room were very nice. The meal was of a high standard and very tasty. On check out there was a slight discrepancy with the bill but this was resolved without question by reception staff.

The reason for not giving 5 out of 5 is due to the service which didn't live up to the 5 star rating of the hotel. Many of the service staff are quite young and they appeared quite cocky and arrogant in some responses they gave to simple requests. Similarly, at breakfast we had to wait quite a while for it to be finished being set up and no one came to get our tea and coffee order until after about ten minutes I had to ask someone to get it for us.

So overall a lovely hotel but the service didn't live up to 5 star standards unfortunately.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Oliver_Yorks

Thank you for your positive review, I am pleased that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us here at Oulton Hall.

I have discussed your concerns regarding the service standards with the team as this is certainly not the normal levels of hospitality I have come to expect from them. I hope that this didn't detract too much from your break.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary. my husband booked it as a surprise and boy was I surprised!! The hotel is breath taking and set in such beautiful surroundings. food was outstanding and very reasonable. The rooms were comfortable and spacious with everything you needed. The drinks were a little pricey but I guess most hotels charge a little more for drinks. I would recommend this hotel for a special treat.

• Stayed: July 2013
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Julie ShawO

Thank you very much for your positive review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your anniversary surprise and have passed on your positive comments to the team.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic Event
All staff really worked hard & made this a wonderful evening
Highly recommend the Butler Events Department if you want to make any event extra special !!
The kitchen staff produced excellent food for all our guests .
And were happy to work with us on our own menu choices
Thank you to the Whole Team !

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Emh125

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the birthday party in the Oulton Suite. It is great to read such positive comments from our guests, the team and I are very grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulon Hall soon.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely relaxing surprise afternoon Birthday treat . I was lucky enough to be treated by my daughter Grace to what can only be described as a wonderful relaxing unrushed afternoon tea . We were shown to the drawing room where the decor and furnishings are luxurious and very in keeping with the hotel . Lovely relaxing sofas and chairs . The food was lovely our favourite being the 'rhubarb' scones yum yum ! . I had more than enough earl grey tea !! There was no problem when I explained that Grace doesn't like tea she was able to have apple juice instead . I have come away feeling very relaxed and would recomend the experience thank you very much . Also got a 'goodie bag' of Tea which was a nice touch !

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Middletons63

Thank you for your kind review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. I have passed on your kind words to the team who were very grateful.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having stayed several times over the last 15 years you cannot fail to be impressed by the lovely stately home. We stayed on a busy bank holiday Monday night in August. There were already 2 weddings in full swing but we were informed that the hotel wasn't fully booked. We booked 2 double rooms and the hotel did accommodate adjacent rooms for the children at short notice to their credit. However I soon started to notice that attention to detail had gone downhill in the 2 years since my last visit. Both our rooms overlooked the 30 wheelie bins in a backyard that accepted noisy deliveries from 6.00 a.m.onwards. Our room had not seen a detailed dust for some time, one of the side tables was covered. The floor did not look clean in the bathroom nor did the toilet. The grout and seales in the bathroom looked tired and in desperate need of a good dose of mould and mildew. The shower curtain needed replacing with mould on the bottom. Again lack of attention by housekeeping staff, the previous guests from Liverpool had left a completed comment card with their details on next to the bed, the bedside table of which had not been attended to or cleaned. The fridge was warm having not been switched on and one of the telephones did not work or had not been checked as the cables had been incorrectly switched. There were no bathrobes in the rooms and we had to organise these via reception, minor granted but lack of attention to detail Failed to provide slippers so had to trapse down to spa bare foot before grabbing some from a cleaner on route. The Spa was fully booked for treatments several days ahead and the size pool does not cope with the amount of guests during this stay. There are only 3 beds by the small pool and it was badly overcrowded which does not compliment a large hotel like this. The public areas although grand lack attention to detail also from peeling wallpaper, chipped paint plastic tape covering carpet repairs. There are 2 restraurants, The Calverly Grill we struggled to find anything riveting on the 2 course table d'hote menu that would interest us or indeed the children would eat. If you went to the pub style venue, The Caret Jug, you will pay £16 for a lamb burger and basic foods that were overpriced. We were hoping to enjoy a nice Anniversary meal but were that disappointed with the menu we drove and ate out in nearby Leeds. Devere really need to start investing some money in this place. Housekeeping need to be told that Kim & Aggie would have had a field day. Staff seem thin on the ground and under pressure. At these prices, the discerning customers expects better it could have been the Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from service delivery and bin area for a quiet night without the ugly view!!