“Great hotel but let down by its management”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just returned from Oulton Hall which is set in lovely grounds.The good points are the staff who were very helpful.. especially the concierge who was excellent. The pool and spar were also worth a visit. We did experience some issues however. When we arrived the rooms were very hot but the air conditioning was not wired in and no controls to switch it on. The staff provided us with a fan.We ate in the main restaurant on the Monday night but thought the food was sub standard ie. the steak although well cooked was poor quality. Wine menu expensive and obscure. Next night we ate in the claret jug ..absolute disaster! We waited for 1 hour after ordering our food.The place was empty!When the food arrived it was very poor. The prawn cocktail was defrosted and tasteless.The goat cheese tartlet had a chilled crust with a hot filling added. I left most of it. After complaining to the manager the next course came promptly and was ok but really, no better than your average pub meal. By this time it was 11-0pm and the children over tired an past their bedtime. Reflecting on the two day stay we felt the management at the hotel were not focussing on the detail enough and there were too many young inexperienced people serving on the front line? It was shame really because the hotel does have the potential to very good but more focus is needed on improving food quality and customer service .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank KENNETH R
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Kenneth R

Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that were not up to scratch.

I have discussed your concerns with the relevant team members here at the hotel in order that they can identify why we had a momentary lapse from our usual high standards. I would like to assure you that this is not the usual high standards of service and hospitality we are normally so proud to offer, my apologies that on this occasion you were left disappointed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review and I very much hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall in the future.

There are newer reviews for Oulton Hall & Spa

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Having just got back from a 3 night stay at Oulton Hall we could find no fault what so ever with the hotel. The service & staff were so very helpful & friendly & was made 2 feel welcome at the place. The location was great & we spend days visiting many place in Yorkshire - York. Whitby . Scarborough etc. Would highly recommend 2 any1 wanting a 5* hotel near Leeds. Excellent place & price was very good Many thanks all staff at Oulton Hall

Dear mauz2828

Thank you for your kind review.

It is great to read such positive comments from our guests and I would like to assure you that we do pass on all feedback to the team.

I hope to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have visited the spa a few times and always enjoyed it. The treatments I had today were good as usual. I had a full body scrub and a facial. Customer service wasn't great and we were kept waiting quite a long time both when we arrived and whennit was our treatment time. After our treatment we were hungry so thought we'd eat in the cafe. We were very surprised at the extortionate cost of a sandwich £9.50 for a sandwichon sliced bread with a few crisps on the side and a bit of lettuce! Next time we'll time our treatments so that we don't need to eat there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear RubberDuck2013

Thank you for your spa review.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your treatments within the spa and can only apologise that your lunch did not meet expectations.

I am grateful for the time you have taken to raise these concerns and would like to assure you that these have been highlighted to the spa manager.

I hope that your recent visit doesn't deter you from revisiting us in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Well, what more can you say about Oulton Hall, you drive up to a very grand entrance showcasing the beautiful building only to be led into more luxury!

The hotel itself is gorgeous, the old stately home looks stunning on the Yorkshire backdrop and their surrounding gardens. When we arrived the sun was shining beautifully on the terrace full of people sipping champagne and tucking in to afternoon tea. We checked in and were shown to our room, we requested a refurbished room as I was aware they were in the process of a refurbishment. Well the room was amazing, very spacious, bright and with very tasteful decorations, a large full length mirror adorned one of the walls and the brand new TV was a nice touch! The Bed was one of the comfiest beds I have slept in for a long while and the sheets were super soft! The bathroom was not refurbished but was OK, we had some minor issues with one of the showers however this was not a major problem. We also got bathrobes, crisps, daily water and a baileys night cap in the room every night which makes me think maybe we got upgraded to a Deluxe Room- definitely a nice touch!

It was Wimbledon final day and we decided to go and watch the match in the drawing room with a nice cocktail- pricey but definitely worth it! The communal areas of the hotel are fantastically decorated and only add to the luxury of the hotel.

We had a deal that got us a standard room, breakfast both days and dinner on the first night. We had dinner in the Cavalry Grill which was fantastic, we giggled a little when the food first came out as it was very small portions however we were completely stuffed by the end of the meal. Amazing food and very inventive too we left more than satisfied! Breakfast the next day was good too however they cater more to the cook to order menu which has eggs benedict, smoked salmon etc on it rather than the buffet option. The continental breakfast and pastries could definitely be improved as the pastries had all been toasted and had gone a little bit tough.

I also managed to use their Leisure facilities and had a swim in the morning and jacuzzi and sauna. The pool is quite small however and when I tried the next day there was not enough space to go for a swim, it is definitely used as a social space for some of the more regular customers.

Overall this hotel is lovely, not far from the city centre of Leeds (about £12 in a taxi) and in such a beautiful location, good for golfers but also for people just wanting to get away and relax! I would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, they are lovely. Rooms on the first floor are near the spa which is good...
1  Thank Emma W

Dear Emma W

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that your enjoyed your time at Oulton Hall and managed to use all the facilities around it.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We visited Oulton Hall for my partners birthday, he'd been before but I hadn't. The hotel is in a lovely setting and you can feel yourself relax as you drive up to it. The room wasn't ready when we got there but that worked to our advantage as we were up graded when we did get in.

We had our evening meal included in our package and although the food was beautifully presented it was spoilt by the fact it was lukewarm by the time it arrived on the table. The service was exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. Unfortunately the same thing happened at breakfast the next morning I ordered poached eggs and though beautifully cooked again they were lukewarm by the time I got them.

We used the spa and this was very pleasant (although the pool was a very strange shape) again the staff were helpful. Strangely the changing rooms were the wrong way round with males using the female change and vice versa we couldn't see why this was happening.

The only real negatives were lukewarm food, very very cheap toilet roll (not worthy of such a nice hotel) and finally a service charge of 15% that was put on our bill without being asked. Overall a lovely break which we enjoyed and we would go back but just not eat in the restaurant.

1  Thank Anne R
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Anne R

Thank you for your recent review.

I was glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a relaxing break. I would like to reassure you that your comments have been passed on to the team, including the Head Chef who was disappointed to hear that the food did not meet the usual high standards.

We hope to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the end of May 2013 and the accommodation, staff, breakfast - in fact everything was fantastic. Thank you Oulton Hall ! We had a wonderful stay. The breakfast was amazing, there was everything you could possibly want from continental to full English. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything you needed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 96Anita

Thank you for your kind review following your stay, I can assure you that your comments were passed on to the team.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and we met your needs. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend took us for what we thought was going to be a relaxing spa day.
We arrived at 10am, and was led to the changing rooms. We got ready to go for a swim, to find it to be very small and full of small children. How is this relaxing? We paid to go here to get away from our kids and relax! Not a chance of relaxing or swimming due to all the kids splashing about about making loads of nice. Children have access to that one and only pool 10am til 7/730pm daily! We had to put up with this until our treatments at 12.30.
I only started to relax when i started my hour treatment. Yes this was very nice, but the whole morning ruined the experience.
If you want a relaxing spa day DON'T GO HERE!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Amandawakey

Thank you for your review of Oulton Hall Spa and Leisure facilties.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your treatment with us and can only offer my apologies that the whole experience was not as you expected. Our leisure and spa facilities are open for use for the hotel guests, leisure members and spa guests to enjoy too therefore we do try to cater for all, including families.

I do hope that you may revisit Oulton Hall in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!