“Go for the more expensive rooms”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We originaly booked the standard room on bed breakfast and evening meal but the standard room was very old fashioned and in desperate need of renovation,I went down to reception to complain and asked to be moved to another hotel as this hotel was very old fashioned and looked like a dated hospital and a stately home the lifts were not working and my wife suffers with a back problem and been on the second floor was difficult to manage the steps after seeing a manager we were informed that because we were on a special prepaid rate we could not change hotels even within there own group of hotels but they could find us a room on a lower floor that's when things started to improveThey moved us to the first floor on a free upgrade to a chambre unique room with everything of improved quality and the rooms had just been renovated,The food at dinner was ok but not top notch the chef has his own slant on the dishes and accompliments we are not to our liking but the breakfast was very good with plenty of selection I dont know if we will stay here again and if we did it would be in one of the better rooms

Room Tip: Go for the chambre unique rooms or the suites
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesdeeYorkshire
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear lesdee Yorkshire

Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that were not up to scratch.

I am delighted to read that you were able to enjoy one of our new Chambre Unique rooms. Your comments regarding the food have been passed on to the Head Chef so that he can address your points with his team.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the future.

There are newer reviews for Oulton Hall & Spa

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Seven of us stayed in four rooms in January 2013 to celebrate two birthdays. One of the couples were married here at the Oulton Hall a few years ago, so it has special memories. How it has deteriorated since then! On the weekend that we stayed the hotel was very busy so the car park was full and it is quite a trek from the overflow car park in six inches of snow! The rooms were very small and in desperate need of renovation - although I understand a renovation programme is in hand. The lighting in the rooms was very poor, giving a dark and dingy feel. The only place my wife could find with sufficient light to apply her make-up was standing up in the bathroom. The room we were in had a (locked) connecting door to the next room (not one of our party) and it sounded as if we were sharing a room with the couple next door! We were all woken around three thirty in the morning by rowdy guests shouting and singing in the corridor when returning to their rooms. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable, the mattress dipped in the middle, so we did not have a very good nights sleep. Cleanliness of the bathroom was very poor, with black mould on the tiles around the bath and dirty splashes on pictures above the toilet. I refused to use the bath/shower and went home instead.
Down in the bar, the settees, although four seaters were so badly in need of re-upholstering that they were extremely uncomfortable to sit on at the ends. The bar staff took great delight in making as much noise as possible when throwing empties into the bin, much to the distress of some customers. As it was a cold winter night, we asked why the huge open fires were not lit. We were told by the staff that they could not be lit because the hotel could not afford to fit new flue liners.
We moved into the Calverley Grill for an evening meal and were seated at a round table which was not big enough for a party of seven, we were so close together that there was insufficient space for side plates! We complained to the waiting staff but they were not concerned and did not move us. The lighting in the Grill is very dark, which makes reading the menus very difficult, and some of our party had to move away from the table in order to read their menu. At the end of the meal we had to use a torch to check the bill.
One of our party ordered a meal which was served with cabbage and he asked the waiter if he could substitute a different vegetable. The waiter had to consult with his manager, and came back saying that he could not change the vegetable, but we could order a vegetable side order at extra cost of £3.50. The food was at best mediocre and not particularly enjoyed. At the end of our meal we had coffee or tea. When the coffee was being poured one of our party asked the waiter if he had made a mistake because the coffee looked more like tea. The coffee was extremely weak, but when we asked the waiter about it he became very defensive and said there was nothing wrong with it as he had just made it and put three 'shots' of coffee in the pot. He said that we should have told him if we wanted extra strong coffee, but we explained that we didn't, we just wanted a normal strength coffee. He was reluctant to do anything to rectify the situation and we had to ask him to go and put more 'shots' of coffee in the pot.
Breakfast was a big improvement, but we had to ask for side plates as there were none on the buffet. Because the hotel was fairly full, breakfast was very busy - so why only one toaster, and why one that would only toast on one side at a time? The queues for the toaster were long, and despite a member of staff assuring us that the toaster had been fixed, it was still only toasting one side at a time. I did contact the hotel by letter after our stay, but did not even receive an acknowledgement. However, exactly four weeks after my letter to the hotel I wrote to Customer Services at the De Vere head office. After another two weeks I finally received a letter from the Manager of the Oulton Hall apologising for the 'temporary' slip in their standards and offering our party a free Sunday lunch, an offer which I declined.
The Oulton Hall is a prestigious hotel but I would have expected a much higher standard, it is only on a par with many budget hotels. I will never use the hotel again and will be very cautious about using any other De Vere hotel in the future

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L90NJH

Dear L90NJH

Thank you for your review regarding your stay in January.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Since January we have now completed a renovation programme of 70 bedrooms and launched new menus throughout the hotel. I am however grateful for the time that you have taken to raise your concerns as it enables me to address these points with my colleagues to ensure that we don’t experience any further lapses from our ordinarily high standards of service.

I would hope that you may return to Oulton Hall in the future so we can restore your faith in the brand.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The ladies in my family went to Oulton Hall for afternoon tea to celebrate three family birthdays in the month. Our party (the eldest 79, the youngest 23) had nothing but praise. The hotel itself is absolutely stunning but didn't have that awful deathly silence that some of the grander hotels can have, so you didn't feel uncomfortable having a chat. We had afternoon tea for seven people in the drawing room, and the staff were so friendly they really made the event for us. When they realised we were there for three birthdays, they even gave the birthday girls a small gift bag with some Oulton Hall blend tea in a little keepsake tin, which was a lovely gesture. The afternoon tea was enormous but it was no problem for them to box up our remaining cakes and scones. They were also very accomodating in changing some of the sandwiches for those of us who don't like smoked salmon. The only slight niggle I could find was that a glass of champagne with the afternoon tea was over £11, which when we had only paid £22 for the afternoon tea felt a little steep. Maybe a cheaper alternative such as Prosecco might be a good idea? But overall excellent and I'm dropping hints left, right and centre for an overnight stay for my own birthday!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear travellingclarets

Thank you for your positive review regarding your recent visit to Oulton Hall for afternoon tea.

I was delighted to read that the butlers in the Drawing Room ensured that you enjoyed the birthday celebration and have passed your kind comments on to them. It is always great to received such high praise and for this we are grateful.

I hope that we may be able to help you celebrate your birthday in the near future too.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in March as a bit of a treat (and a much deserved night away from the kids!). The hotel and the grounds are excellent and we were delighted to find that we were allocated one of the obvioulsy newly refurbished rooms (we could still smell the paint, though not to the point of it being offensive) which was very nice indeed. We made use of the pool/steam/sauna throughout the day which we found to be well maintained (though could get a little busy at times). We then ventured to the Champagne Bar. This was excellent for a lazy mid afternoon drink, though as other reviewers have said, don't be surprised when you get the bill as it won't be the cheapest place you ever get a drink that's for sure. That said, the prices are typical of this standard of hotel and it's to be expected (unfortunately).

We dined at the Calverly Grill in the evening (set menu) and although in the main this was 'ok', it was nothing spectacular. I ordered creme brulee for desert and ended up sending it back. To say it was a pathetic attempt was an understatement. No burnt caramel on top, just a sprinkling of sugar, no vanilla to be found anywhwere, very grainy in texture, very akin to birds eye powdered custard I used to have as a kid. The 'executive chef' agreed it was unacceptable and said he had removed it from the menu. 10 minutes later, 4 people on the table next to us ordered the same thing and no mention of it missing off the menu, when I asked about this they said the chef had fixed it!!!

That said, the rest of our stay was excellent, and the breakfast in bed was out of this world. I would stay again, however I'd probably try the Claret Jug for food, or go with the 'a la carte' at the Calverly Grill rather than the fixed price menu.

All in all an enjoyable stay with the exception of a dodgy pudding (which happens to be my favourite, hence the disappointment!)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear

Thank you for your positive review, I am pleased that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us here at Oulton Hall for your night away from the children.

Although you did experience a few niggles, I hope that they didn't detract too much from your break. I have discussed your concerns with the Executive Chef in order that they can identify why we had a momentary lapse from our usual high standards and to ensure that there is no recurrence.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel. The room we were given had been refurbished and was lovely, and very comfortable. Would love to have used their designers for my home!! Did not use the restaurant in the evening as we knew how expensive it was, so used local restaurants. We had a good package deal which included breakfast, which are excellent. Use of pool etc, all included in the 2 evening deal. Lovely surroundings, golfer s must love this place. Have been in other De Vere hotels similar to the style of Oulton Hall and would visit each one again. Staff very efficient and pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 140 only has a roof view, cannot see any garden at all, try to avoid if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alibee1Wirral

Thank you so much for your positive review and I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of one of our many special offers.

It was nice to hear the positive feedback regarding one of our newly refurbished rooms and that you found it comfortable.

I hope to see you again at Oulton Hall.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Booked this for a adult family weekend and we were not disappointed with any aspect. The staff were all very friendly and attentive. The standard of food was excellent both in the hotel restaurant and the golf club house. We were all very impressed with the public areas - lots of lovely sofas and chairs within the drawing room to relax, read and chat. Bedrooms were a good size - our rooms could benefit from an update but I think work is in progress. The leisure facilities - pool, sauna, etc were rather small for the size of the hotel but it would appear most guests did appreciate the golf facilities.
Our only issue was that the lifts from the ground floor were broken so it was quite a walk to our rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GillianMylles, Gillian Mylles at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear EllenG

Thank you for your positive review regarding your stay at Oulton Hall.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality in all areas of the hotel and we were able to deliver the high standards set within De Vere. It was great to read such positive comments and I will ensure that these are communicated to the team.

I hope we will be able to welcome you and your family back to Oulton Hall in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a party of 5 for a spa weekend and it was a very pleasant experience. The hotel staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly. The hotel was exceptionally clean with beautiful decor. Food excellent with a wide choice to suit all tastes although the bar was slightly expensive.
Overall it is a delightful place to stay which I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear AmandaNeve

Thank you very much for your kind review, I was happy to hear that you and your party enjoyed your stay.

It is great to read such positive comments from our guests, the team and I are very grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!