I saw a few negative reviews about this hotel so was a little sceptical of the 4* rating advertised by the hotel and wasn’t sure if to avoid – but I was pleasantly surprised having stayed for the night (May 2013) via a Secret Escapes deal (£79 for B&B).
The hotel itself is currently being upgraded and we were lucky enough to stay in a freshly renovated room which was well appointed, with luxurious bedding and the room itself was immaculately clean, (only downside was bathroom could have done with a little more modernising but was most adequate on whole). We both had a great nights sleep and were not disturbed by any noise of any kind. The peaceful location of hotel really made it a relaxing stay.
The highlight of the stay had to be access to the gym, pool & sauna (which were second to none for hotel facilities) so if you’re a gym user then this hotel is for you, I wouldn’t hesitate in booking!
The other areas of the hotel, reception, tea room & champagne bar are most grand and opulent and we really enjoyed a few drinks and then an evening meal in the Claret Jug (bistro/restaurant) which overlooked the golf course.
I suffer from celiac disease (wheat gluten intolerance) and was most impressed with the options available and the consideration given by staff.
The staff I had dealings with were polite, friendly and most helpful throughout our stay.
My only niggle with the hotels 4* rating would be the (not so modern) bathrooms, but given that I used the gym facilities and showers there (which were tip top) I cant complain really.
Another point worth mentioning, the Calverley Grill (main restaurant) has a dress code – of which we were unaware of (no denim), which meant that we were unable to eat there for our evening meal. My partner wears a suit ever day of the week, on a ‘leisure break’ I don’t think that a smart pair of jeans with a shirt for a mid week evening meal should be classed as under dressed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oulton Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall & Spa Yorkshire