“Fantastic stay! Would recommend!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Durham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay! Would recommend!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I saw a few negative reviews about this hotel so was a little sceptical of the 4* rating advertised by the hotel and wasn’t sure if to avoid – but I was pleasantly surprised having stayed for the night (May 2013) via a Secret Escapes deal (£79 for B&B).
The hotel itself is currently being upgraded and we were lucky enough to stay in a freshly renovated room which was well appointed, with luxurious bedding and the room itself was immaculately clean, (only downside was bathroom could have done with a little more modernising but was most adequate on whole). We both had a great nights sleep and were not disturbed by any noise of any kind. The peaceful location of hotel really made it a relaxing stay.
The highlight of the stay had to be access to the gym, pool & sauna (which were second to none for hotel facilities) so if you’re a gym user then this hotel is for you, I wouldn’t hesitate in booking!
The other areas of the hotel, reception, tea room & champagne bar are most grand and opulent and we really enjoyed a few drinks and then an evening meal in the Claret Jug (bistro/restaurant) which overlooked the golf course.
I suffer from celiac disease (wheat gluten intolerance) and was most impressed with the options available and the consideration given by staff.
The staff I had dealings with were polite, friendly and most helpful throughout our stay.
My only niggle with the hotels 4* rating would be the (not so modern) bathrooms, but given that I used the gym facilities and showers there (which were tip top) I cant complain really.
Another point worth mentioning, the Calverley Grill (main restaurant) has a dress code – of which we were unaware of (no denim), which meant that we were unable to eat there for our evening meal. My partner wears a suit ever day of the week, on a ‘leisure break’ I don’t think that a smart pair of jeans with a shirt for a mid week evening meal should be classed as under dressed!

Room Tip: look out for secret escapes deals!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GillianMylles, Rooms Division Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is great to read such positive comments from our guests, the team and I are very grateful. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and managed to enjoy all the facilities

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel about a year ago and always meant to put a review on. I have never reviewed a hotel before but our experience was so bad I was reminded to put a review on now after a lovely stay in another hotel! We stayed for 2 nights in 2 rooms with our 2 sons to celebrate a birthday. The rooms were shabby and certainly not 4*. There was a wedding reception going on and the hotel staff seemed to be only interested in those guests. Unfortunately we had rooms above the function suite and the noise from the disco was extremely loud, we rang down to reception to complain at 11.30 and they said they would get them to turn it down. Nothing happened so I got dressed and went down to complain at reception at midnight and they said they would get the music turned down and the manager would contact us in the morning. Neither of which happened. There were people running up and down the corridors and shouting at about 2 in the morning! Breakfast was terrible with only buffet and huge queue's and they ran out of hot food. When asked if we could order at the table as we weren't part of the wedding party we were told not. Mentioned at check out our disappointment of our stay and they said the manager would contact us but this never happened. We have stayed at many good hotels often with our children and this was by far the worst ever. Unless you are part of a wedding they are simply not interested. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pan-67
Selby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We arrived promptly to be greeted by nice young receptionists, we were sat down offered drinks. My coffee was bitter and my wife had a juice which was cold and refreshing. We were shown the facilities which comprised of a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna and steam room. A well equipped gym was available but neither of us took our gym kits. We spent a few hours in the pool area just relaxing, the 3 (three) chairs were plastic and uncomfortable and nowhere near enough for the amount of people that were in the pool area. Various towel hooks were broken but in fact a plentiful supply was there. The locker rooms were spotless and had digital secure lockers for valuables but if you wore glasses you struggle to read the small numbers one you have them in the locker.
The day ended with a facial for me (which having not had one before I can't compare, but I did feel great afterwards) and my wife had a full body massage, which she tells me was wonderful and very deep and thorough. All in all a great day was had, the lack of pool side beds and the over priced sandwiches were my main gripe but YES I would go again just for a few hours if the offers were available. I certainly wouldnt pay full price for a half or full day there.

1 Thank Graham W
Dear Graham W

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

One of my relations held her wedding reception there, I cannot fault location and interior/exterior nor the staff or the catering. Double room was £99 for the night.
I also was not impressed with the bedroom and the bathroom could have done with a make over !!.
The price of drinks was way overboard with the cheapest bottle of wine at £27 (probably £6 in tesco's) and a bottle of beer at £4.25. I know it's a classy place but I certainly will not go again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear simplyles

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding, the team and I are always grateful of the positive comments we receive.

With regard to the prices in our bar area, hotel prices do tend to be slightly higher than those in pubs and bistro's or the high street, the margins that we apply to our food and beverage offerings are in line with the industry norms and reflect the costs associated with providing the service and goods in the surroundings that we do.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the future.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Oulton Hall for two nights at the beginning of May 2013 as part of recent birthday celebrations.

Oulton Hall is an imposing grade II listed manor house dating from the 18th century which has been converted and extended in to a five star De Vere hotel set within it's own grounds which includes golf courses and a driving range.

The reception area is a little dark and austere but the listed status will restrict what can and cannot be done to it. Interestingly, there is a large table in the centre of the reception area which is similar in shape to a large sarcophagus; not what I would have chosen personally to have in a reception area.

That said those parts of the hotel in the original hall are grand and give a sense of opulence. From the galleried staircase with marble busts overlooking it, to the imposing gallery above the grand piano in the lounge. There is a lovely salon where atfernoon tea is served by very attentive staff to a champagne bar which we sadly we did not get the opportunity to test drive.

The bedrooms are mostly off one very long corridor which runs above the Calverley Grill in to a more recently constructed annexe. Our standard room was of good size and had everything you might expect from a five star hotel, including a digital safe and unstocked mini-bar. It was mostly in good condition although the wardrobe was showing signs of ware. The bathroom was not as modern as I had expected but it was fine and had everything that we needed.

The grounds are very impressive and so to is the terrace at the back of the hall. It would be a great place to have a wedding with photo opportunities galore. We enjoyed our stay and hope to visit this hotel again, but will not be visiting the Calverley Grill restaurant.

Dear Churchbridge

Thank you for your detailed and descriptive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were able to post so many positive remarks.

As with all reviews, I have shared your comments with the team at Oulton Hall who are all very grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oulton Hall again soon.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had a lovely day at the spa,staff was very friendly,helpful and made us feel very relaxed. ,The pool area and changing rooms were very clean.We also had lunch which was very fresh,Overall a very good day

1 Thank annette w
Dear annette w

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your spa day and left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated, I have passed your comments on to the team.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Oulton Hall again in the future.
huddersfield, west yorkshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Oulton Hall during thw Jubilee weekend. The venue was gorgeous, staff couldn't do enough for us and our guests. I was nervous before the day as I had it all planned in my head but it was down to the hotel to set up etc. They did everything perfectly. I couldn't find even the tiniest fault- this allowed me, my husband and my guests to just enjoy and have a great time. The food was fabulous, lots of guests said it was the best food theyd had at a wedding- someone even said this to the other day and we are nearly at our first anniversary!
The only suggestion I could make for an improvement would be for wedding guests to have a designated area for breakfast the morning after. This was not a problem for us but it would have been nice to be together with all my guests for breakfast.
I cannot praise highly enough- im not easy to please and quite a control freak so this was no mean feat.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear vic_moocow

Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding your wedding at Oulton Hall. I am delighted to hear that your day was memorable and we were able to meet all your expectations.

I have communicated your praise to the team who are grateful to hear such positive feedback.

We all hope to welcome you back to Oulton Hall in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!