“Bad Reviews”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Bad Reviews”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 day stay at this hotel.
On arrival we were greeted by an extremely pleasant concierge, welcoming us to the hotel and asking if we had had a pleasant journey.
Monday morning we asked at reception if we could have two extra pillows for the room, I was assured this would be no problem. On arriving back to our room several hours later our pillows were there on the bed.
Our room (223) was spacious, perhaps a little dusty in the corners, and the bathroom grouting needed a little TLC. Lighting in the bedroom was soft and subtle, could have done with a reading light however. Water........ we had read that it was difficult to get hot water, we certainly never found this to be the case, steaming hot water for bath, showers and wash hand basin at ALL times.
Food served cold??? Our meals were always served hot (unless for cold dishes) by extremely courteous staff. Plenty of selection to suit all tastes. We overheard a fellow diner explain she needed a cealiac diet......... "no problem madam I will speak to the chef" was her reply. She managed a 3 course meal.
Rooms were cold??? On the contrary, our room was well heated as was the rest of the complex. We sat in the dining room, library, drawing room and at no time were we anything other than warm.
We had a wonderful afternoon tea on Tuesday again served by smiling courteous staff, the young lass on duty helping us withour decision. Helpful but unobtrusive and a credit to her employers.
The dining room was fully booked our first evening but we were directed to the Claret Jug where we enjoyed a delicious 3 course meal again served by dedicated smiling staff.
Our only disappointment was having booked our annual luxury break we were unable to book a massage/spa treatment despite phoning before we left. Unfortunately for us they were fully booked. Perhaps we will be lucky next time?
Would we go back .................... Most definately YES.
Thank you to all concerned for making our break extremely enjoyable and luxurious
Perhaps worth mentioning the hotel appears to be undergoing some sort of renovation programme with several rooms down by the spa closed off, perhaps this is where some of the poor reports have surfaced from.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Leicester
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Oulton Hall is a joke of a hotel. Sadly all they seem to be interested in is churning out the wedding parties. We arrived on the Saturday afternoon and waited in the cold with all our luggage while a large wedding party came out of the front door. We were there to attend a late afternoon wedding ourselves and then on the Sunday morning as we left after breakfast another wedding party arrived. It seemed a bit like a crematorium – one in, one out!

When we checked into our room we had a bit of time to spare so we ordered a pot of tea and biscuits from room service. It never did arrive so we gave up on that. The room itself was in need of an upgrade and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. There was black mould on the window, a dripping tap in the bathroom, luke warm water in the shower and only one tissue in the tissue box.

On the plus side the décor and the grand hall was very impressive in the public areas but I would be happy never to return to Oulton Hall and I most certainly would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank RosyLeicester
dublin
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

My stay started with a very friendly welcome from a lovely receptionist and a welcoming doorman.
The lobby, reception rooms, bar and restaurant are stunning which makes the bland worn bedrooms disappointing . However, my room was clean, bed was comfy and I had a great nights sleep.
Dinner was included in a very good value deal. The restaurant was busy and the atmosphere was great. Food was fine (nothing spectacular , but tasty enough) and the wine list quite good. Breakfast was good with a wide choice of freshly prepared options.
All the staff were very friendly and I enjoyed my stay. I would be quite happy to return.

• Stayed February 2013
Dewsbury West Yorkshire
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Firstly, this has to be my favourite hotel/spa stay. Having experienced somewhere between 20-30 spa stays this one never fails to disappoint.
Luxury hotel with staffing and service to match. The manager/s can be proud of the smiling faces of their staff. Unsuprisingly you will see many of the same faces year upon year and all entirely willing and happy to provide anything you might wish for.
i have read the negative reviews and frankly I have never golfed so can't comment on that part of the hotel/grounds however the comments re the food....is this the same hotel??? I ONCE received a steak which wasn't exactly to my liking (I am the peasant type...like the meat well done) and received not only another steak but accompanying profuse apologies, for something which I may well have contributed to by not asking for 'no pink' as I now do in any restaurant.
Can I find any niggles ? certainly not and as for the cleanliness, well, I would say this takes a helluva lot to beat, including the poor guy who picks up after smokers around the entrance (despite adequate disposal points) So a BIG 'well done' as always . I am happy to book yet another stay here for friends or family and to recommend anyone who likes something more than Butlins ! Oh... and the spa , yes I do have a tip ... frequently it gets very busy so book prior to your stay to ensure a totally pampering experience, you won't want to leave ,I promise

Room Tip: just book into this hotel and tell them what you need, they will do anything to make your stay as wo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I'm sorry to say that my husband and I visited this hotel last August for my birthday. We were on the look out for something a bit special without having to go far so were very attracted by the hotel's accolade of being the only 5* hotel in Yorkshire.
The building is impressive from the outside and the public areas are grand and lavishly decorated. When we got in to our room, however, all the grandeur was far behind us! It was disgustingly filthy, I don't mean to sound dramatic but it literally is the first and only hotel in which I've ever felt the need to take photos of how gross it was. I've posted some pics of the bathroom which was really so disgusting and covered in mold that I wouldn't shower in it and instead waited until we got home.
The manager contacted us after our stay to apologise but I'm afraid that was no good to us! I wasted a birthday night and we completely wasted our money. We almost felt like they'd robbed us! In fact, even writing this review now gets me mad at just how ripped off we were!
Never again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sarilypuff
Luton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stay at OUlton Hall regularly and it is a lovely hotel. The staff are really friendly and approachable which is not always the case these days. The rooms are comfortable, not luxurious but very nice. The carpets may be allittle tired but this an old holel.
Breakfast is well worth a visit.
The Glf club restaurant is really good for an evening meal, I find the menu in the hotel a little too fancy and limited.
All in all a very good experience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned and had a great weekend.The hotel is a little tired in places, but is in the process of being renovated. Lots of weddings there, and unfortunately if you are not attending a wedding you are made to feel a little like an interloper.
Nice room, very clean - but again wardrobe door was badly fitted and the bulb in the bedside light had blown - we asked for it to be changed and they fetched the old one but never replaced this over the three days that we were there.
Food was outstanding especially in the Cavelary restaturant - but remember to pre-book - no one told us and we either had to eat at 6.30 or 9.30. The Golf club restaurant was good but not of the same standard.
I would probably return, although Slaley hall- another De Vere hotel is much better with a better atmosphere and better golf club and spa

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,152 reviews
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!