I booked this hotel with my girlfriend so we could enjoy a nice getaway; as a long-standing customer of De Vere for both business and leisure and although I had not stayed at Oulton Hall before, I had no hesitation in booking a stay at this De-Vere resort, having enjoyed numerous enjoyable stays in other De-Vere hotels over the years.
I booked a one night stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis at a cost of £230, for Saturday 6th October.
Upon arriving at the hotel you are presented with a beautiful old fashioned country house, a beautiful golf course and lovely views of West Yorkshire. The reception area is opulent, as is the rest of the reception-level rooms such as the main hall and 'tea room'. First impressions were good....
Our room was 342. Upon going to the room (342) after check-in, regretfully we were presented A dirty and disheveled room (dirty carpets, ripped bed linen with mold stains) and the bathroom was in an appalling condition with part of one of the sink taps missing, the bath was mouldy and had heavy staining and paint peel. The bedroom furniture was damaged and in a poor condition and covered in a layer of dust.
The website marketing blurb described them as “luxurious” (“Magnificent rooms custom made beds that are the very height of comfort, and sumptuous Egyptian cotton bed linens and duvets”).
Upon raising this issue to reception I was offered an alternative room, which was provided (347). My partner and myself inspected the alternative room and regretfully the alternative room was of a lesser standard than the first (342), with a distinct damp, musty smell.
Having discussed this with the housekeeper (whom was very helpful) we were advised that the hotel was aware of this issue and the smell was as a result a water/fluid leak - Brilliant!!!!
We had no option but to remain in room 342 and rubbing more salt into this particular wound, I saw some of the refurbished rooms (which were lovely) lay empty, which the reception did not offer us. Nor did they in fact attempt any sort of resolution at all. Disgusting - I encourage you to look at other reviews on here and check the room numbers.
After this debacle, which put a negative on the stay for me, we visited the driving range. Fantastic facilities, great NIKE pro-shop, well kept driving range. I didn't play the course itself but was told by other golfers it was of a high standard.
We dined in The Claret Jug restaurant, which forms part of the golf club house. Our meal in there was fantastic and offered very good value for money. It offered an a-la-carte fixed menu, along with a more relaxed and informal menu. Excellent.
After our evening meal, we visited the cocktail bar. I can honestly say that this cocktail bar is world class.
It is staffed by 4-5 extremely professional barmen whom speak very knowledgeably about the drinks, their ingredients and country of origin. Their range of drinks is massive, ingredients are fantastic and they were all very friendly and charismatic - This is not your average cocktail bar and as you can probably tell I was in love with the place! Expensive yes, but special nonetheless!
However, 'the bar and restaurant does not maketh the hotel' and unfortunately, we had to go back to THAT ROOM!!!!!
Breakfast was ok, well cooked, varied and plentiful. Just note that the queues are BIG. If like me, you go to relax, this will annoy you! Especially if you've just slept in a grotty room.
This is a golf resort, with lots of hungry golfers! Don't be surprised if you are stood in a queue for 10 minutes.
My total bill for the one night stay was a little under £300; expensive for what was a one-night stay. Upon checking out, the receptionist asked me how my stay was. I politely told her that it was poor and the room was abysmal for the price paid......I was met by an expressionless look and "Oh, sorry to hear that".......I did doubt her sincerity a little; given that the "Oh,sorry to hear that" was the full extent of her customer service and complaint management skills.
At the very least I would have expected her to raise this to the attention of her managers. I also left comments on both the invoice and feedback card.
I received no contact at all.
This debacle culminated in a letter of complaint being written to the hotel GM (Mr Sean Boyce). I requested a refund of £155 for the cost of the room and was given it, along with the usual platitudes. It was a shame the hotel did not react to my initial complaints.
Will I visit this place again? No chance. How can a hotel and one of the biggest hotel and leisure groups in the world get the most fundamental thing so badly wrong, that being to provide the customer with a CLEAN and TIDY room at an appropriate price.
The way my issues were dealt with was terrible. The un-refurbished rooms were poor and the price being charged was disgraceful. It is for Oulton Hall to get its price point right, and if they are sticking people in a lesser standard room for the SAME PRICE then they should be ashamed. More fool the people who don't complain though, but I can honestly say a budget chain hotel offered a greater level of cleanliness and upkeep.
If you are going to book this hotel, sincerely, please ensure you understand the room you are getting. Specifically ask for a refurbished room, and if anything is not to your liking raise this and request some resolution, as in the case of my stay, they were anything but proactive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz and Evoline ltd so you can book your Oulton Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall & Spa Yorkshire