“"All fur coat and no knickers"”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this hotel with my girlfriend so we could enjoy a nice getaway; as a long-standing customer of De Vere for both business and leisure and although I had not stayed at Oulton Hall before, I had no hesitation in booking a stay at this De-Vere resort, having enjoyed numerous enjoyable stays in other De-Vere hotels over the years.

I booked a one night stay on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis at a cost of £230, for Saturday 6th October.

Upon arriving at the hotel you are presented with a beautiful old fashioned country house, a beautiful golf course and lovely views of West Yorkshire. The reception area is opulent, as is the rest of the reception-level rooms such as the main hall and 'tea room'. First impressions were good....

Our room was 342. Upon going to the room (342) after check-in, regretfully we were presented A dirty and disheveled room (dirty carpets, ripped bed linen with mold stains) and the bathroom was in an appalling condition with part of one of the sink taps missing, the bath was mouldy and had heavy staining and paint peel. The bedroom furniture was damaged and in a poor condition and covered in a layer of dust.

The website marketing blurb described them as “luxurious” (“Magnificent rooms custom made beds that are the very height of comfort, and sumptuous Egyptian cotton bed linens and duvets”).

Upon raising this issue to reception I was offered an alternative room, which was provided (347). My partner and myself inspected the alternative room and regretfully the alternative room was of a lesser standard than the first (342), with a distinct damp, musty smell.

Having discussed this with the housekeeper (whom was very helpful) we were advised that the hotel was aware of this issue and the smell was as a result a water/fluid leak - Brilliant!!!!

We had no option but to remain in room 342 and rubbing more salt into this particular wound, I saw some of the refurbished rooms (which were lovely) lay empty, which the reception did not offer us. Nor did they in fact attempt any sort of resolution at all. Disgusting - I encourage you to look at other reviews on here and check the room numbers.

After this debacle, which put a negative on the stay for me, we visited the driving range. Fantastic facilities, great NIKE pro-shop, well kept driving range. I didn't play the course itself but was told by other golfers it was of a high standard.

We dined in The Claret Jug restaurant, which forms part of the golf club house. Our meal in there was fantastic and offered very good value for money. It offered an a-la-carte fixed menu, along with a more relaxed and informal menu. Excellent.

After our evening meal, we visited the cocktail bar. I can honestly say that this cocktail bar is world class.

It is staffed by 4-5 extremely professional barmen whom speak very knowledgeably about the drinks, their ingredients and country of origin. Their range of drinks is massive, ingredients are fantastic and they were all very friendly and charismatic - This is not your average cocktail bar and as you can probably tell I was in love with the place! Expensive yes, but special nonetheless!

However, 'the bar and restaurant does not maketh the hotel' and unfortunately, we had to go back to THAT ROOM!!!!!

Breakfast was ok, well cooked, varied and plentiful. Just note that the queues are BIG. If like me, you go to relax, this will annoy you! Especially if you've just slept in a grotty room.
This is a golf resort, with lots of hungry golfers! Don't be surprised if you are stood in a queue for 10 minutes.

My total bill for the one night stay was a little under £300; expensive for what was a one-night stay. Upon checking out, the receptionist asked me how my stay was. I politely told her that it was poor and the room was abysmal for the price paid......I was met by an expressionless look and "Oh, sorry to hear that".......I did doubt her sincerity a little; given that the "Oh,sorry to hear that" was the full extent of her customer service and complaint management skills.
At the very least I would have expected her to raise this to the attention of her managers. I also left comments on both the invoice and feedback card.

I received no contact at all.

This debacle culminated in a letter of complaint being written to the hotel GM (Mr Sean Boyce). I requested a refund of £155 for the cost of the room and was given it, along with the usual platitudes. It was a shame the hotel did not react to my initial complaints.

Will I visit this place again? No chance. How can a hotel and one of the biggest hotel and leisure groups in the world get the most fundamental thing so badly wrong, that being to provide the customer with a CLEAN and TIDY room at an appropriate price.

The way my issues were dealt with was terrible. The un-refurbished rooms were poor and the price being charged was disgraceful. It is for Oulton Hall to get its price point right, and if they are sticking people in a lesser standard room for the SAME PRICE then they should be ashamed. More fool the people who don't complain though, but I can honestly say a budget chain hotel offered a greater level of cleanliness and upkeep.

If you are going to book this hotel, sincerely, please ensure you understand the room you are getting. Specifically ask for a refurbished room, and if anything is not to your liking raise this and request some resolution, as in the case of my stay, they were anything but proactive.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms which have not been refurbished, particularly 342 and 347.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MattfromBolton

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed overnight in jan 2013. I have stayed at this hotel on business many times in the past but not for a year or two. The welcome is very good, the rooms are of a decent standard with all the amenities you need. That said as a single woman I choose to eat in the room and that was a let down. It was hard to make myself understood to the room service order taker. The food was over an hour late and of average quality. You are paying for more than average. I will stay here gin but eat out in future. The free parking is the main reason I choose this hotel but I can find comparative quality in the centre of the city at less cost.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed January 18, 2013

2 night stay on business (first-ever visit). Very nice building on outskirts of Leeds (very close to M62 so good location). Took advantage of a very good sale offer on de Vere web-site (worth checking out before booking).

My room was a good size and well-furnished. The corridor outside tended to be a bit noisy but not really an issue. I booked B & B with the idea of eating in the restaurant or bar in the evening. The breakfast was fairly good and of a standard you'd expect at such a hotel.

My main issues were in the evening. Firstly, the hotels decor is fairly dark (lots of blacks & purples and dark reds etc) but in the evening they dim the lights to the point where it becomes really dark and gloomy. The bar area was so dark you couldn't read the paper and the stairs from the first floor had to be negotiated carefully as it was hard to see in front. The hotel management obviously want to create a nightclub-type ambience but it doesn't really work.

Secondly, the Calverley restaurant (only place open) was very expensive and had a limited menu. On the first night I just had a room-service meal (as did half the other residents judging by the number of trays left outside in the corridor). On the second night I went to the pub round the corner where I bumped into several hotel residents.

The hotel seems to attempt to cater for 3 groups - golfers, business people & those on a leisure break. Certainly for the business traveller (& I suspect golfer) it's a great place to stay but the evenings are not catering for this market. Compare that to other hotel groups I regularly use e.g. The Brend group in the South-West. The main difference is a lack of visible management at the Oulton Hall and an assumption of what guests require without ever asking them. The staff in general working there were polite and helpful.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights with some friends recently, we were on one of the hotel packages for D, B&B. The hotel appearance was excellent, staff very friendly and efficient. Our standard rooms we very nice and spacious, both evening meals we very good, good choice and service was great, efficient, polite and not overbearing. The leisure facilities we also excellent, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, staff pleasant and helpful. The rest of the hotel was very nice and relaxing.
Not far from Leeds which a lovely large shopping centre.
Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The Standard rooms we stayed in were excellent, roomy, with all necessary facilities.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel itself is situated in beautiful setting, first impressions are very good but unfortunately the bedroom & bathroom was disappointing. There was no hot water for a bath which was uncomfortable.

We have stayed at this hotel back in 2009 and these problems didn't exist, hopefully there is a plan to rectify the issues I have stated.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Dan C
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Myself & my new husband just visited oulton hall leeds on our honeymoon break SAT-MON (12-14TH JAN) the hotel is amazing, the staff are extremely friendly & helpful SUCH AN EXCUISTE HOTEL where everyone is made to feel welcome! THE FOOD WAS DIVINE BOTH BREAKFAST AND THE MAIN MEALS, the spar facilities are fantastic very relaxing. Id definatly like to say we will be revisiting here in the future & WE WOULD ALSO RECCOMMEND OULTON HALL TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!XX

Room Tip: We stayed in room 227 which was lovely, i know you can stay in a 'SUITE' which are alot more...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Have stayed here when on business on a few occasions .

Lovely hotel ..

Rooms are clean and comfortable and breakfast always good.

First choice when staying in Leeds

Devere Hotels are generally pretty good anyway, and this one ticks all the boxes!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
The Queens - Leeds
The Queens - Leeds
#13 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!