“Grand Hotel with Beautiful grounds”
Review of Oulton Hall & Spa

Oulton Hall & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oulton
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Oulton Hall for one night for a birthday getaway. The hotel itself is very grand with so much charcater and the grounds are beautiful. The food in the restaurant was lovely and the staff in the restaurant very attentive and polite. The leisure facilities were great with polite staff on hand to assist and advise. Like some reviews we did have to wait for the "wine on arrival" but this was resolved. During our stay we also had afternoon tea, and made to feel very special by head butler Peter, and we also chatted to the manager James who is clealry keen to build and improve the hotel. The drawing room is amazing and the afternoon tea was so relaxing. As with any large hotel, there will always be some staff who aren't up to standard who can give the others a bad name, but I believe the majority of the staff there are decent and that the hotel is trying to build up its service reputation. Overall I would definitely recommend a visit to Oulton Hall, and if you have any problems/issues then take them up with the manager James who is clearly a forward thinking guy with service as a key focus of his.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband booked an overnight stay at Oulton Hall for us to celebrate our 1st anniversary. It is a beautiful building - very impressive when you arrive. The reception areas do not disappoint, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable, but there was a sizeable rip in the carpet, which I noticed as soon as I walked through the door. Someone will be suing for getting their heel caught before long! There was a lovely view from our window of all the dirty washing piled up in metal cages and baskets, super.

We had already decided to eat at the hotel, but the information pack stated that jeans were not allowed in the Calvery Restaurant (we didn't query this, so it may not still be the case) so we opted for the Claret Jug. Decent meal, friendly staff, and nice surroundings.

The main gripe I have with the hotel was the next morning. Breakfast is served in the Calvery Restaurant, and it is indeed a lovely room. Now, I know that evening dinner and morning breakfasts are very different, but considering the dress requirements for evenings, I was a little underwhelmed by what is allowed on a morning: tracksuits, shorts, football tee-shirts, flip flops - and this was Nobember. Added to the 'Bountiful Breakfast', I felt like I was on a package holiday to Spain. The hotel was obviously busy - this was a weekday during half-term holiday - but I must admit that I would have expected a waiter/waitress service breakfast, as I thought the hotel was pitching itself at the higher end of the market. And a word of advice: as you enter the Calvery Restaurant for breakfast - sit on the left. We were seated on the right and trying to get a refill of coffee is nigh on impossible. The waitresses were floating around the left hand side with their coffee pots, whilst me, my husband, and the couple at the next table, were completely ignored (even when waving cups around).

And another BIG gripe - if you're going to add a £1 'charity donation' to my (and I presume every other ) bill without asking, have the decency to inform me which charity/charities I am donating to. I know this is done on the 'speed check out' forms under the assumption that people won't quibble as it's only £1, and they can check out quicker, but I think its really disgraceful.

On the whole, a pleasant enough stay - clean room, comfortable bed, nice main house - but I think Oulton Hall needs to make its mind up: high class hotel, or package holiday haven?

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if you can, it's noisier because of the spa. The hotel is very large, so...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poolgirl
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here with my husband and daughter for a wedding at beginning of Nov 2012 it was lovely from start to finish, the staff were very professional and friendly too. The Drawing Room was a lovely place to sit and enjoy a coffee. Yes it is pricey for drinks etc but as a celebration stay it was worth it! The room was lovely and cosy, and the breakfast....wow, devine!
It was lovely to be spoilt and i would definately return! Soon!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Booked Oulton Hall for 3nights on the basis of it being a hotel with great grounds & beautiful old building. Old building is about 10% of structure & grounds are meant only for golf so nowhere to really walk. A hotel that works very hard & in need of some serious investment on the bedrooms front. Windows in bedroom were infested with mould & shower tap broken. Nothing in the mini bar, not even water & no shower caps in bathroom, cotton buds, etc. not what you expect from the devere group. Broken lampshade in the room. At the inclusive breakfast, staff seem to be interested in clearing not serving. Never seen fresh bananas definitely past their use by date presented to guests two days in a row. Breakfast Buffet was pot luck if hot & if you got everything. Asked a waiter for some still water as the 3bottles were almost out & the 4th had barely a small glass, had 4th bottle plonked in my face with absolutely no concern for replenishment...& this was tap water decanted not even bottled water.
Orderd room service 1 night & took 1hour with them forgetting half the order. Egg Mayonnaise sandwich with no egg & really low quality mayo, sent back & got back nothing more than what was sent. Just wondering how is this classed as 4star. I must say never had so many complaints with 1hotel before. Only saving grace was the leisure facilities which seemed new & well maintained. Seems like staff are very local & could do with management who might have a more international approach to help raise the standards.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank LotusS_81
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just come back from a one night Dinner Bed and Breakfast break at Oulton Hall to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

First, the positives: This is a beautiful building, with an incredible sense of grandeur, particularly in the main communal areas. The room (room 119, a 'Double Deluxe') was clean and and well-presented, with quite honestly the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The bathroom and shower were faultless, with a nice powerful shower and thick towels and bathrobes. We had requested a quiet room, and had no issues with noise at all. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was superb.

Just a couple of small negatives, however, which let the weekend down a little. Firstly, the set meal which came as part of the deal was only two courses (starter and main course). Call me a traditionalist, but to my mind a set meal should be three courses and coffee, and this really just came across as penny-pinching on the part of the hotel. The drinks were also extremely expensive (the cheapest glass of wine being £6.00 for a 175ml glass of average red).

We used the gym and spa areas, and although these were well-equipped and clean, I felt that I would have appreciated more help from the staff in the gym, and additional seating areas around the pool.

Overall, a good (and well-deserved!) weekend away, but we felt a little short-changed on the detail.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I have great pleasure in writing this review, having just returned from a weekend stay at this beautiful hotel. From the moment we stepped foot inside we were greeted with warmth and the best service I have ever received from a hotel. We were there to celebrate my mums 84th birthday and she was treated like a Queen. Special gifts presented to her and cards to beautiful personalised service from all the staff in the Drawing Room especially,who she loved. The most amazing observation for me though was the care and passion in which the whole team took in delighting their guests.

The meals were beautifully prepared and again the service outstanding. If you are looking for that special hotel for a celebration, look no further we would certainly have no hesitation in either recommending or going back. Well done and thank you to all for so effortlessly making a special lady feel a million dollars!!

The casements

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

stayed in September for 3 nights as the price was amazing (75 per night). everything was good from start to finish. attentive reception, grat food overlooking golf course and reallly good breakfast.

unfortunately i was travelling alone on business qs the hotel is really a place for couples - will go back soon with the right companion

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oulton
Crowne Plaza Leeds
#18 of 87 in Leeds
Holbeck
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Collingham

Been to Oulton Hall & Spa? Share your experiences!