“Afternoon Tea”

Oulton Hall Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Oulton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Calverley Grill at Oulton Hall is an award-winning restaurant based in Oulton Hall Hotel. Boasting of an AA Rosette, the food is contemporary British with Chefs using local and seasonal ingredients to produce top quality dishes. A vegan menu is also available as well as vegetarian options on the main menu.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a really warm Sunday afternoon when a large group of us met up for afternoon tea. I had phoned ahead, as I am very limited in what I can eat, to make sure that they would be prepared for my visit.

On the Sunday afternoon it all looks really lovely as you go into the room. Silver tea pots, hot water jugs etc, but it was quite disappointing.

My sandwiches came separately - fine. It took me three times of asking to find out what they had put on the sandwiches. I had suggested that they make me egg mayonnaise and cucumber sandwiches, all very plain and easy, but I got cucumber and I think it was salmon, but this was a little dubious; and also cucumber and hummus - I do not like hummus! There were two other sandwiches which were on some other bread that was so hard it was virtually impossible to cut through -apparently they had chia seeds and I am not sure what else on. Disappointing to say the least.

On to the "cake" part. There had been cakes on the stand when we went in. Obviously I couldn't eat the cheese, as I am allergic to it, so took a piece of the fruit cake...I am not sure how long it had been out on the cake stand for, but it was hard, probably due to the fact that it was a really warm afternoon. The other cake I had was about a one inch square of I presume a millionaire shortbread, which obviously melted as soon as you touched it - but that was quite nice. The scones were nice too, as they didn't suffer for being left out in the warm room.

We were served a cup of tea when we first went in, which was OK, but later when we asked for more it took several times of asking, and when it did come it was only tepid and the contents of the hot water jug only just warm.

I felt disappointed that I had bothered to call and speak to them regarding my dietary requirements when they clearly had not bothered to listen to my requests. If the group I was with suggest going there again for Afternoon Tea I will decline as I do not think it was value for money, nor a lovely experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at Oulton Hall for one niight. The Hotel was grand. Nicely decorated and furnished. We dined in the restaurant. The food was very good.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Oulton Hall is as near to perfect as you can get. The restaurant has an intimate feeling created by the dark wood, oriental décor. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is first class. I have stayed in 5-star hotels that were not as good as this.

Reviewed May 14, 2018

Great service, attentive friendly staff, the cakes are delicious, cheese and fruit cake was a nice addition, nice selection of teas, great ambiance. I had not visited in over 10yrs that I almost forgot how good Oulton Hall is.

No more unnecessary trips out to the famous old fashioned tea rooms, this is my go to place now. See you soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2018

service not the best ,as was the food ,not a place I will be rushing back to, not value for money ,over priced for what we got, £257 one bottle of wine and two beers ,nine of us for Sunday lunch