“You get what you pay for”

The Old Vicarage Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
County Durham, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel has a lot of potential the staff could be a little bit more friendly but the one man we did see was friendly enough. We had 5 rooms... The rooms were very spacious comfortable beds.. One room had mould on the ceiling in the bathroom (room 7) room 18 probs had the nicest bathroom. I have stayed in a lot worse places ... It's about 10 mins out of the city centre a taxi came quick enough (Morley cabs) and it was only £10 so not too bad. Overall for £20 you carnt shake your head at it. I'd go back :)

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Dear God this is by far the worst hotel i have ever been to. Room 8 was filthy, disgusting dirty carpets, stains on the curtains and questionable stains on the walls. After complaining we were offered room 12, which was equally disgusting so we refused to stay and were given a full refund. Avoid at all costs!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trish P

Travelers are raving about these Morley hotels

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Myself and 8 friends stayed here for one night as the photos looked reasonable & the price was perfect for us travelling to Leeds for one of the girls birthdays.
The staff were ignorant and if anything creepy. My room (room 18) looked to be one of the better rooms (still disgusting). The carpet was absolutely horrible, dirty marks which could easily be vomit or urine on the carpet. The glasses provided were stained (even a faint lippie smear) good job my pre drink was bottles of lager because I could not have used them, my friend sharing my room even used her empty dr pepper bottle for her drinks.
The bathroom looked to be (possibly) recently done however the shower was lacking one of 2 sliding doors so when I showered hungover on the morning I soaked the bathroom and when I opened the door it fell off.
Upon arrival to our room there were Pubic hairs in the shower too GROSS!
The bed surprisingly though was clean and comfortable when arriving back at 5:30am managed decent sleep however the room was very bright due to only blinds and no curtains.
No staff when we were leaving.
Such a shame this building has so much character and under correct ownership could be such a cute boutique hotel....unfortunately this is not the case. Oh and another thing, they took my friends card details and told her that the balance of all our rooms would b taken off her card....when we arrived however (myself and the girl who hooked arrived later than the others) one of the other girls had to pay in cash! Hopefully my friends card gets nothing taken off her card as in other reviews!!!
DO NOT STAY HERE, pay the extra £15-£20 a night and stay in holiday inn or jury inn! Did not feel safe leaving my belongings here, not even okay for a group of girls looking for a place to crash for a few hours kip.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We asked to see the room first and were given a spacious and acceptable one. We did not see the others. It's important to check as you will be expected to pay on arrival. This does mean of course that you won't need to hang around on departure. We did not have breakfast and so cannot comment on that.
The room was certainly not dirty as some have suggested, the bedding was clean and the bathroom was newly tiled. Two large comfortable chairs were provided as was a good flat-screen TV.
What do folk expect for this sort of money !!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Take your own alarm clock.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

OK, I am a patient lad but that was too much. I arrived late, around 11.00 pm. I booked in, went to my room and it was cold as North pool. A lovely lady turned the heating on after I asked for it, because she forgot. It did't help much. On top of that shower was broken. No way I am not going there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank coolkuzyn
Kent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The picture on the internet makes this look so nice but when we got there the bathroom ceiling was covered in mold all the way across we refused to stay in it and they moved us to another room the shower was cold for about 15 minutes then it would warm up, staff were never around hatch bit where they sat was shut the whole time saw staff once in 3 days, the room was warm so that was alright it was basic there was no where to get a drink i wouldn't recommend this

also need a car if you're going to stay here

Room Tip: do not go to the downstairs rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Darcyj95
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Good sized room, comfy bed, friendly staff member (we only saw 1). We weren't told on check-in that we had to ask for what time we wanted brekky, but she was there to do somebody else' so did ours & apologised for the mistake, asked if we had slept ok as it was apparently quite noisy the night before (hit the pillow, didn't hear a thing until morning). They didn't do dinner but she was more than helpful with an excellent recommendation for a place just down the road. All in all it was cheap, clean & comfortable enough for 1 night.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Healey Hotel
#2 of 2 in Ossett
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
#1 of 1 in Gildersome

Been to The Old Vicarage Hotel? Share your experiences!