“Close call- Good job We checked first”

The Old Vicarage Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Yorkshire
“Close call- Good job We checked first”
Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

I looked at this place on the Internet and thought it looked lovely and advised my wedding invitation maker of hotels location for guest. Lucky my fiancee and I visited the hotel before the wedding and realised what a mistake we'd made.
We rang/knocked on door for a few minutes before being welcomed by a confused man very suprised to see anyone. On asking for prices he didn't give us a straigh answer at first and then gave a standard cost. On asking to see a room (even though at this point by looking around at the mess, dirt and bad customer services we'd already realised no one would stay here) we were shown a dark room which was already occupied by someone else! Having seen plenty if bail hostels and midway houses (through work) this place looks to be being used as one- So we immediately phoned and changed the hotel part of our invites deleting this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank jode2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was the worst place I have ever stayed. It wasn't just that it was dirty and the staff lacked basic standards of personal hygiene but the place seems to be designed to give you the worst possible experience.
We arrived and the whole place stank and it became more pungent as the staff arrived. The gentleman checking us in seemed confused by the process. I offered my name and he asked if I booked online which I explained I had. He then, looking confused, asked my partner for his name. I explained that the room was booked in my name so my partner's name would not help him find the booking.
We were sent to wait in the "Living Room" where we were greeted not by the images shown above but by an overwhelming amount of Royalty memorabilia and a grey skinned mannequin in a kilt. Completely bizarre.
When we were finally shown to our room it was tatty and dirty. The staff member wandered off and didn’t give us the key so we had to chase him for it.
There was a large window taking up most of the external wall. At night the hotel had an up lighter directly outside which lit up the whole room through the thin curtains, hardly conducive to a good night’s sleep.
Arriving back late at night we were told we had to pay – presumably this is because otherwise people would just leave without paying after such a horrible experience.
Never go here. I cannot express how terrible it is. It has put me off using independent hotels after such an awful incident – at least you know what you’re getting at a Travelodge or Premier Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carla J

Travelers are raving about these Morley hotels

Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and had more faults than anything good. There was a small hole in ceiling, stains on carpet, dirt on tiles in shower, marks on walls, foreign t-bags and only provided with one cup in a room booked for 2. Card machine didn't work, on arrival there was no1 to greet us to check in and it took 10 mins for someone to appear then a further 15 mins just to get key to room and i wasn't impressed with the service at that point. Staff didn't seem to understand English or know what they were doing!! Good location tho just shame it didn't meet standards.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank xanne12
Stevenage, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Worst hotel experience I have ever encountered, please please please don't book.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lotts88
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The staff spoke barely any English whatsoever and did not offer to carry bags to the 'room'. The room was dirty, broken appliances and the bed stained with various things that I do not wish to speculate. I was regretting ever stepping foot in this place, my car had broken down and the 2 star rating surely meant that it couldn't be that bad? Well it was was and I found out when I returned home that this rating had been withdrawn, yet the business still kept it on their sign ad website.

Also, I believe the hotel to be a front for something. Many people came into the hotel late at night and were very noisy and argumentative. I did not sleep a wink and I could not wait to leave this hell hole.

Do not stay here if you value you're health.

• Stayed November 2011
6 Thank mikey92jones
sheffield
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I have just spent the night here after booking on line and refused a refund..when I arrived there was no-one on reception so walked through to the dining room and adjoining kitchen where guy on reception was washing his hair in the kitchen sink over a sink of plates and bowls..the kitchen was thick in grease and had dead insects on the worktops it made me feel physically sick..the dining room was dirty furniture and stained tablecloths..after being refused a refund I was taken to a room where there was beer and vomit stains on the carpet no hot water available a shower that didn`t work and broken window the heating was a two bar electric fire in the corner and the room was damp and smelly.. I was charged 40 pounds..the website photos and text are false the hotel is nothing like the advertising..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank robert h
Devon, Uk
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We couldnt get a hotel in Leeds city centre at last minute as we usually do as very busy so this was the only place nearish available....now we know why. After reading the other reviews we had the same problems....the reception area looked unruly, paperwork everywhere waited for 10 minutes after paying for a key and to be taken to the room. Only 1 set of towels, i cup, no hairdryer, no extra pillows, blanket as suggested in the room brochure. No telephone or connection, tele was an old portable with aerial and buzzed all the time and had to tune in the freeview box ourselves. Drawers falling apart, dust, unclean shower and carpet, radiator not working lucky was a heater. Had to fix the curtains as some had come of hooks and didnt shut and no extra toilet paper. Think the bed was the best thing about it!
Breakfast was awful, group tables, cold coffee, tea served in a coffee pot, dirty looking cereal plastic boxes and sauce bottles....as for the cooked breakfast came out at seperate times so my partner had eaten his by the time i had mine (what he ate anyway) cold toast and been plonked on the plate and the chef/reception/general goffer didnt look to clean either. Bar? what bar...the little thing in the corner where you help yourself and write what youve took on a pad? Can go on but we are laughing to much!
Good job we could laugh about it and put it down to a mistake we will never be making again..worse place we have ever stayed at. Not sure about the stars but seriously needs to be checked out b AA again..wont be returning.

Room Tip: Just dont bother booking.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DevonRed34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Healey Hotel
Holbeck
Clayton Hotel Leeds
Clayton Hotel Leeds
#15 of 87 in Leeds

Been to The Old Vicarage Hotel? Share your experiences!