“Delicious Anniversary Meal”
Review of The Richmond Arms

The Richmond Arms
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Country Pub, Restaurant, B& B in an idyllic Sussex rural village at the foot of the South Downs,5 Min's from Chichester. Locals bar and country kitchen serving locally sourced meats, seafood, game and vegetables in an innovative manner.Roasts on our "Rotisserie" and meats/seafood grilled over Charcoal. Classic bar snacks re-invented, regularly changing local microbreweries beers,home made hedgerow "eaux de vie" and large list of wines by the glass.... expressive of their origins and "terroir". ...
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We chose this place for our celebration dinner for our 12th anniversary. Of course, we had our eight year old son in tow too though! It is a nice place, though a bit quiet with not much atmosphere when we first arrived. I could be wrong, but I don't recall there being any music playing. My only complaint from the evening is that upon being sat at a table that included seats on a bench on the wall, I realised that the height levels of the two did not match ideally and I could not cross my legs without hitting the bottom of the table. This may sound silly, but it really did infringe on my comfort for the evening as I couldn't move my legs much.

Anyway, on to the food- I thoroughly enjoyed my stuffed courgette flower and salad and both my boys tucked into the fried calamari- our son especially loved it. We had the brisket and a steak for our mains, while our son moved on to even more fried fish- the thai style one. He also loved the bread and couldn't get enough. My steak was lovely- with the perfect amount of fat running along one side to give it a wonderful flavour and loads of delectable meat. The brisket was absolutely gorgeous, melt in your mouth. The dripping chips were great. We were very full from all the wonderful food but still managed to share a selection of homemade ice cream for dessert and enjoy a few drinks along the way. Definitely a lovely meal and evening.

1  Thank Dana L

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I dined at the Richmond Arms on Sat 20th July 2013 having considered it for a few weeks (despite being in the area for around 2 years). We were lucky to get a table due to a cancellation.

A problem we have when we go out is that my partner must eat gluten-free for medical reasons (not poncey-Victoria-Beckham-diet reasons!) and many places either don't cater for coeliacs or think they can but actually don't understand the issue, which causes problems later in the evening.

From booking, through arrival and actually eating, the service at the Richmond Arms was absolutely first class. The decor is fresh and comfortable, despite being in quite a limited space and the presentation of the food was excellent. The Wine List is extensive and not overpriced. They have also recently opened a lovely area to the rear of the pub which is used for another, lless formal bar and currently they do stone fired pizzas on Fri and Sat night. There is no garden but a number of picnic tables outside the front of the pub which bathes in the evening sun so really pleasant for a drink if you don't want to eat.

Highly recommended. A special thanks to the blonde lady serving at around 7pm on Sat - absolutely first class.

1  Thank Anon_User_2014
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stumbled upon the Richmond Arms a few months ago, though my recollection of it forty years ago as a bastion of the local CAMRA brigade was strong. Much had changed, with a new air of sophistication, a reduced but still fascinating selection of ales, a good wine list and some lunchtime snacks which stuck in our memories.

Revisting the crunchy smokey sardines and the gremolata coated haloumi yesterday lunchtime showed that the quality was consistent. Dinner last night was frankly exceptional, the Lamb kofti for me, an indiviudually prepared vegetarian platter for my partner, with deserts which took one hell of a lot of beating. My sesame coated grilled mackeral with smoked aubergine starter was also a delight.

The room, not to mention the bathroom and separate en-suite was the loveliest I've encountered in a pub or a hotel for many years. While the unexpected summer heatwave threatened to spoil the stay, the quiet fan provided in the room thoughtfully covered that eventuality.

Breakfast in such places is usually an afterthought pending settlement of the bill. Not so here. Breakfast was as lovely an experience as dinner had been the night before and lunch before that.

We were very, very impressed and I can't leave without commenting on the ambient music. If ever a place recognised the importance of music as a balanced part of the decor, this is it.

Thanks to the Richmond Arms (courtesy of Shazam!) for introducing me to Madeleine Peyroux!

1  Thank Treescaper
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed as well as ate here for a special birthday. The service was superb, we both had a great meal....could not fault it, great cooking of good ingredients. But the great suprise was to come in the morning....the best cooked breakfast I have ever had. ......

1  Thank 48Fred48
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Richmond Arms came highly recommended to us and it did not disappoint, a fantastic meal. Staff were great and the atmosphere was friendly