Open today: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic cooking class!

My wife and I are just back from our trip to Koh Samui. She found Um via TripAdvisor and booked up... read more

Reviewed February 24, 2020
993tomt
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
via mobile
What a great day with a wonderful cook !

We were on a cruise in SE Asia and for a day in Ko Samui . I had contacted before hand Um from... read more

Reviewed February 20, 2020
Anthony F
London, Canada

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Maret
from $23.59
from $50.54
from $95.14
More Info
All reviews recipe book the kitchen at home great teacher take home delicious dishes panang curry highly recommend this class wonderful afternoon thai ingredients fabulous experience picked up from our hotel learned how private lesson highlight of our trip low season koh samui
Selected filters
Reviewed April 30, 2019 via mobile

Me and my husband came today and had a great morning cooking and eating awesome dishes. We got introduced to Thai cooking and I can’t wait to try them at home. Um spoke good English and is very nice. I definitely recommend this class if you want to learn how Thai food is cooked.

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

What a wonderful way to spend our last day in Koh Samui. My wife and daughters (10,12,14) plus one of my daughters friends had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Um at Lamai Thai Cooking School.

We cooked spring rolls, Pad Thai, Tom Kah Gai, Tom Yum Gong, Green Chicken Curry, and Pumpkin in Coconut Milk. All the ingredients were lovely and fresh, and the kitchen was clean and tidy. Um was absolutely lovely, well organised, spoke fantastic english and engaged with all of us really well.

The location of the cooking school at Lamai Beach made what was a great afternoon truly amazing, and Um even arranged the transfers to and from our villa to her cooking school.

For anyone who enjoys cooking and Thai food, this is a “must do”.

Reviewed April 26, 2019 via mobile

My girlfriend and I took part in the afternoon class along with one other person. We chose from 2 dishes for each of the 5 courses. Um who runs the course was very friendly and informative explaining what to do, when to do it and why it is done in this way. We would then eat everything we had made throughout the 3 hours (don’t eat too much before you come because you will not go hungry) all the dishes tasted great and very authentic. We were told what could be substituted if the specific ingredients weren’t easy to find when home. We were also given a recipe book which included all the dishes we had cooked along with the other options to try ourselves when we got home. Um had picked us up on time and dropped us back at our hotel after the class. I can not recommend this class enough. Worth every penny we paid for it! Great view from open kitchen and a lovely family atmosphere.

1  Thank Rgw18762019
Reviewed April 24, 2019 via mobile

I just came across this cooking school on TripAdvisor and it was amazing. Um who runs the school is fantastic. She was very easy to deal with and spoke great English. She picked us up from our resort and took us back to her cooking school kitchen in Lamai Beach. We made Spring Rolls, Prawn Pad Thai, Penang Curry, Tom Yum Goong & Mango sticky rice pudding which we got to pick ourselves (photos of all food below). The food we made was better than a restaurant, it was so tasty with so many amazing beautiful flavours. Um gave us a recipe book with many other recipes to take back to Australia with us. We weren’t rushed and she took the time to explain all the ingredients and flavours going into each meal. She dropped us home and I learnt more about the Thai culture from 30mins in the car with her than I will in the 2 weeks I am in Thailand. This is a true hidden gem and you will not be disappointed! It’s a must do.

Reviewed April 10, 2019 via mobile

We joined the afternoon Thai cooking school session, with a family of three, also from the UK at Um's school in Lamai.

Overlooking the Grand Mother and Grand Father rocks, in her undercover, outdoor kitchen. We were asked to choose 5 dishes from a selection of 10. One starter, soup, noodle dish, a curry and a dessert. Happily, we all 4 agreed instantly on what we liked the best - Spring Rool, Pad Thai, Tom Yam Soup, Green Curry and Bananas in Coconut milk. My was able to flex the recipes to accommodate a prawn allergy, suffered by my wife, with chicken. So all good.

After we had chopped, sliced, diced, crushed and prepped all the ingredients for the 4 main dishes, we started the cooking. Working as couples, we learned the family style (the right way, we think) of producing excellent food, a course at a time. As each course was cooked, we ate it. Hot, fresh and completely and clearly explained by the very knowledgeable Um. Her assistant in the kitchen dealt with the clearing up and washing up! - thank you.

Um answered any and questions, and at no point did we feel rushed or involved in conveyer belt process.

The food was delicate and although we have cooked Thai food at home, our experience with Um, showed how little we actually knew about this style of food. Spicing, fierce when appropriate, and subtle the rest of the time, was a revelation. As was how less (ingredients) is actually, more.

Thanks you to Um, her assistant, even the delightful kids - Mai and his younger twin sisters. We had a great afternoon. Thank you.