“A great place for couples away from Lamai”
Review of Villa Nalinnadda

Villa Nalinnadda
Ranked #27 of 62 Hotels in Maret
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A great place for couples away from Lamai”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had room 3A up on the top with a fantastic 180 degree sea view. The sea is only 10m away but although there is no beach the water is only 1m deep for about 100m out and very clear. The owner and her staff work hard to make you feel special and there is a lovely atmosphere around the place. There are only eight rooms and although the hotel was full when we were here you hardly see anyone about.
Ok, there are a few bits that need replacing but I'm sure she ( the pretty boss) will sort it out. I've read that the owner had three dogs - untrue, there is one dog that hangs around and looks after the place 24/7. Some of the tourists feed him and he doesn't get chased away. He's harmless.
True, it's too far out to walk anywhere apart from 10 mins up to the superb Sea Eu restaurant, only opened in January 203 or down to the 7/11 next to the Muslim Village. We hired a scooter for our 8 night stay and went out to the the south along the back lanes.
The absolute gem of Villa Nalinnadda is that a couple can have free spa treatment every day ( one hour Thai massage, aromatherapy massage, aloe Vera wrap etc). In a Spa studio, with little fish in bowls underneath the hole in the bed where your face goes. The masseurs are excellent and it is a great way to finish off the day before going out.
Breakfast is ordered the day before and they bring that on a tray up to your room at whatever time you have asked for.
As I'm typing this the breeze is coming in from the sea, the pool is lit down below and there is good music coming out of Bose speakers hidden in the border.
This is a gem if you want to be with the special person in your life, but there have ,been two families here this week, one with a baby and one with a 5 year old girl and they have loved it too.

If you want access to the noise of Lamai, don't come here. If you want special times, get here while you can.

Room Tip: Ask for room 3A if you don't mind walking up six short flights of stairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jude96
Nalinnadda, Manager at Villa Nalinnadda, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you! We hope to welcome you again at Villa Nalinnadda!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2012

There are specific reasons why I'm rating this a five star stay. If you are looking for pure relaxation,this is your place. We stayed four nights (tonight is our last night) and planned to conquer our jet lag, which we definitely accomplished. The place is quaint, with only eight rooms. The staff are especially kind and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, particularly the lady at the front desk. This property offers some special perks to aid in your relaxation. Firstly, they deliver your selected breakfast (many options available including western and Thai options at your time preference) to your balcony. They leave you to enjoy your breakfast in peace while watching the sunrise or enjoying the ocean view. Second, certain packages include spa options. We enjoyed various spa treatments including massage,facials,etc. the place is quiet and often times it felt like we were the only ones here. We didn't want to leave the property!

The room was spectacular! We had the 180 degree ocean view room, which I would definitely recommend. As previous reviewers mentioned, some minor repairs around the facilities are needed but we could definitely overlook those. Our room had an outdoor jacuzzi tub, outdoor shower, balcony with table and two chairs, sitting area, tv, double sink vanity, in room safe.

The location is away from anything touristy. Yes, it is along a busy road, which didn't really bother us. As I write this, I can hear passing cars and scooters; however, this did not impede our sleep or enjoyment in the least. There is also no 'beach' here but we prefer poolside anyways. You can hear the waves easily.

The property was a five minute walk from a seven eleven and it was a ten minute cab ride to lamai beach & town.

If a large all inclusive type atmosphere with several entertainment options is what your after, this is not your place. If, however, you value little to do in a beautiful environment - this is your place.

Room Tip: Pick the 180 degree sea view room. Amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank raejc
Thank you! We hope to welcome you again at Villa Nalinnadda!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed her in October 2012. We had a fantastic stay and would definitly go again.

The staff were fantastic and could not help you enough. Due to there only beeing 9 rooms you really do get that extra special treatment you dont get elsewhere.

The breakfast was a nice touch. You order what you want the day before and they bring it to your room at the time you want. It was big breakfast and i personally thought it was a very high quality.

The spa was also excellent. We got the free spa treatments that go along with the Beach front view and they were very professional and did a fantastic job.

The cons to the place and why it doesnt get 5 stars from me.

The room while really nice was in need of a bit of TLC. In fact the whole hotel needed a bit of work. Nothing major but the bathroom needed new blinds and the decking round the bath replacing. One of the windows was cracked on our room. Around the pool the decking was loose in places and could do with replacing and treating on a regulat basis. Nothing majorly bad just minor touches to perfect it

Also when we booked we were told it was unlimited spa but there were 2 treatments you couldnt have done and you were also restricted to one per day. I understand they did this so nobdy could monopolise the spa but i felt it was misadvertised.

Also while we were in front room and had no problem i can imagine in the back rooms the traffic may be an issue. But for us it was fine.

Overall we have a fantastic stay and loved it but im unable to give 5 stars due to a few minor things but dont let them put you off staying as i promoise you will have a lovely stay

Room Tip: Ocean collection room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed October 17, 2012

What was supposed to be a romantic stay of six nights turned out to be a one night stay. The pictures on the internet and in real life differ completely. The hotel is so small that the entrance, reception, the bar, and dining room are all in one open area/room.

The location of the hotel is right on one of the main roads. Our room door opened on the busy road and you can hear the traffic day and night. The beach is nothing but a dirty shallow bay and not a swimming beach at all.

The first thing we complained about was the air-conditioning which was not up to standard. Even after “fixing” it, it was still not cold enough. The first night a rain storm broke out and the toilet roof was leaking so bad that we had to call for a clean-up. The romantic feel of an outside bath turned out to be a disaster as the rain poured down and a nice warm bath was not possible. Also the outside shower‘s flimsy curtain was blown by the wind so badly that it was impossible to take a shower without the whole resort looking at you.

When the rain calmed down I tried to have a bath, but we could not clear the rain water from the bath as the tap could not be opened. And if not enough the next morning we woke up to ants in the bathroom! The facilities at this hotel are not maintained well.
We booked out the next morning.

Agoda refunded us for the rest of the days and we found a much better hotel at a lower rate on the other side of the island.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MarlizeP
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had an interesting experience at this hotel. Prior to my stay, I had spent three weeks eating street food and Thai delicacies with no problems whatsoever. At Villa Nalinnadda, (I think it was my second day there), I drank a fruit shake out by the pool with my friend. Four hours later, we were both sick. While my frield only drank half his shake, I had all of mine and subsequently got twice as sick. It's impossible that I was sick from anything else as the hotel was the only place that I'd eaten since I checked in. Moral: Don't drink the fruit shakes – you don't want to spend your honeymoon/anniversary/vacation clutching a toilet like it's your firstborn child!

Aside from that, the hotel itself is beautiful. Some of the rooms are slightly run down and open directly onto a main road, but they are pleasant nonetheless. The staff are friendly and kind, but they lack an air of professionalism that I would expect from an establishment that advertises itself the way Nalinnadda does. I would not recommend the spa massages as they are expensive and pretty much the same, no matter which massage you pick.

I think Nalinnadda is an ok place for couples who simply want to be on their own. For anybody looking for fun in the sun, shopping or outdoor activities, it's definitely the wrong place. The nearest beaches and the busier parts of the island are miles away and you'll find yourself paying excessive taxi fares just to get away for a few hours.

Room Tip: 1) When you book a beachfront collection room with a jacuzzi, make sure they give you a room that...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Samwise E
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hotel looks very nice at first glance, but it springs lots of unwelcome surprises.
Just as other people said here, rooms and common spaces are old and need to be refurbished as soon as possible.
Rusty metal parts and crumbled walls are almost anywhere around.
We arrived at this small hotel around noon and our room wasn't clean already. So we went out for lunch and when we came back we had a bath in the swimming-pool, but when I came out of the water my foot fell into a hole in the wooden floor around the pool, since the wood is old and rotten there!
Then we tried to relax a bit in the evening, but sleeping was made impossible because by three dogs barking around the pool and the garden. I do love animals of course, and these ones are beautiful, but I think the owners of this hotel should train them not to bark and run and make noises inside the property at every time of the day. Isn't this a vacation resort?!
Then we went out for dinner (you need to rent a car or a motorbike, since there are no restaurants, shops or nice beaches nearby the property) and when we came back we found five big brown roaches inside the room in a few minutes. One jumped off the bed and ran behind the tv... So we complained at the reception and they told us they would have disinfested the room immediately, but the only thing they did was turning on the lights (!), so when I turned them off again another roach came in giving us a single possibility: leaving this place!
So we went out and found another hotel in Lamai, but the receptionist charged our room anyway! And she told us that she has just been told that other hotels were experiencing the same problem that same night. Who the hell do they want to make fun of?
Forget about this place. Will send a letter to the Lonely Planet to ask them re-checking it. Samui is plenty of nice hotels (we had to change a couple in the next few days, and both were clean and well maintained and beautifully located), so simply take a look around and find a better one...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Framcesc0
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed three days in the villa, and we were very lucky to get an upgrade to the room with 180 degree sea views and jacuzzi. The views were stunning, the room very comfortable and private. This would be a great place for honeymoon, or for someone who likes privacy and not a part of the rat race. To be honest, it is a little out of the way, and you need to get a taxi to all places. If you love the nightlife and love being in the thick of things, then this place may not be for you. But if you want a very nice relaxing place, with friendly staff, good food, great little pool, and where you can have dinner under the moonlight by the beach, then this the place. I had my 5 year old with me, and even though this place is not really for children, he was welcomed with open arms by the staff and he just loved the jacuzzi and our stay here. I stayed 3 days in the centre of lamai beach and I enjoyed that, but I certainly slowed down and was able to fullyrelax when I stayed here, and enjoyed just having a stunning view and time to read and take my time. I would go back anytime and highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Judyorchid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
Royal Beach Boutique Resort & Spa
#15 of 62 in Maret
Three Trees Samui Resort
Three Trees Samui Resort
#6 of 46 in Lamai Beach

Been to Villa Nalinnadda? Share your experiences!